OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 05:43:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Casey Anthony Not Guilty  (Read 8313 times) Average Rating: 3
Xenia1918
High Elder

Faith: Praying for Divine guidance

« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2011, 07:38:15 PM »

Everyone who is upset over this case, remember: people may evade justice on this earth, but we will all stand before the Judgement Seat of Christ. She will not escape forever, if she committed this crime.

"O God, enlarge within us the sense of fellowship with all living things, our brothers the animals to whom Thou gavest the earth as their home in common with us..." (from the Prayer of St Basil the Great)

REAL RC: http://www.traditionalmass.org
REAL OC: http://www.orthodoxinfo.com
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2011, 07:50:10 PM »

We know beyond a shadow of a doubt she did it. It doesn't matter if the evidence is circumstantial, or that there is "reasonable doubt"... Our justice system isn't just a little bit flawed, it's simply stupid!

OJ Simpson was found not guilty, but we know beyond a shadow of a doubt that bastard did it! Now look, hes rotting in a cell where he belongs!

Let's just hope the family has had enough and decides to take her to court, and lets hope those jurors and judge are smart enough to find Casey Anthony liable in her daughters death. Make sure she doesn't make a dime off her filicide.

I hope she commits some other crime and spends the rest of her rotten life in a prison cell.
John Ward

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Korea

« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2011, 07:56:59 PM »

We know beyond a shadow of a doubt she did it. It doesn't matter if the evidence is circumstantial, or that there is "reasonable doubt"... Our justice system isn't just a little bit flawed, it's simply stupid!

OJ Simpson was found not guilty, but we know beyond a shadow of a doubt that bastard did it! Now look, hes rotting in a cell where he belongs!

Let's just hope the family has had enough and decides to take her to court, and lets hope those jurors and judge are smart enough to find Casey Anthony liable in her daughters death. Make sure she doesn't make a dime off her filicide.

I hope she commits some other crime and spends the rest of her rotten life in a prison cell.

We do? I mean, do we? Where any of us there and witness it? We can't know for sure she did it as none of us were actually there and there was no eye-witness to say "I saw her do it."

Also, hoping she commits a crime is kind of messed up. What about the victim of that crime? I think this is a reason Christ warned us against judging. We can become so consumed that it becomes the focus..."Getting that person." So consumed that we forget how others may be effected.

At this point, guilty or not, God will take care of it. We really don't need to worry about this. There are bigger things that we can concentrate on.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2011, 08:07:43 PM »

Accidental death leading to panic and mania is a plausible narrative, also the prospect that her father did it is a plausible narrative. The evidence failed to rule out either of those possibilities and thus there is more than reasonable doubt. You may think that she did it, maybe she even did do it, but both those are completely irrelevant. The only thing that matters is that the prosecution did not have enough evidence to establish guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.

Do her parents even have standing to bring such a suit? I'm not certain but I don't think so.

So you hope that an innocent person is harmed so you have an opportunity to take revenge for a crime she has been declared not guilty of? Is that the kind of stuff they teach you at church?

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2011, 08:20:54 PM »

Anyone feel the outcome would have differed were the facts tried by a judge alone?

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2011, 08:25:03 PM »

Anyone feel the outcome would have differed were the facts tried by a judge alone?

Perhaps but I think that would be a horrifying precedent. 
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2011, 08:25:30 PM »

Speaking as a prosecutor, good for the jury.  If the prosecution can't prove its case beyond a reasonable doubt, they neither deserve nor are entitled to a conviction.  If the jury wasn't convinced, good on them for not caving to public opinion and rendering the popular verdict.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2011, 08:42:24 PM »

As much as I thought OJ was guilty and got off because of prosecutorial incompetence, a defense team with sophistry to spare and a media that warned everyone that a guilty verdict would set back race relations by decades, etc. etc. the civil suit brought against him smacked of double jeopardy and set bad legal precedent, IMO.  Such should not be done here.  Casey is going to get what's coming to her; we don't need to worry about that. 

My outrage is more directed towards the idiots on the jury. I'm sure they'll be selling their rights to the Casey Anthony Lifetime movie in the next few weeks.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2011, 08:46:00 PM »

As much as I thought OJ was guilty and got off because of prosecutorial incompetence, a defense team with sophistry to spare and a media that warned everyone that a guilty verdict would set back race relations by decades, etc. etc. the civil suit brought against him smacked of double jeopardy and set bad legal precedent, IMO.

As a lawyer, I fail to see why this troubles you.

The standard of proof differs in civil actions and criminal prosecutions. The elements of the tort or crime also differ -- criminal assault and tortious assault are not the same thing, even though they can arise out of the same set of facts.

I'm interested in your thoughts!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 08:46:57 PM by akimori makoto » Logged

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2011, 08:51:36 PM »

You fail to see why this troubles me? So, if the state can't win a criminal case, individuals should then bring a civil case where the standards of evidence are more in the prosecution's favor?  Can you imagine if that happened every time the state lost a jury trial?  Granted,  I know such will not happen.  But, that would really distort the sense of equality under the law.  If the state fails and if you have money, sue them!  Double jeopardy is a check on an overzealous state to deprive the individual of his/her constitutional liberties, but just because the state fails does not grant an individual the responsibility to carry out what the state could not.

That being said, aren't we already in an over-litigious country as it is? Do we really need MORE trials?

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2011, 09:01:40 PM »

You fail to see why this troubles me? So, if the state can't win a criminal case, individuals should then bring a civil case where the standards of evidence are more in the prosecution's favor?  Can you imagine if that happened every time the state lost a jury trial?  Granted,  I know such will not happen.  But, that would really distort the sense of equality under the law.  If the state fails and if you have money, sue them!  Double jeopardy is a check on an overzealous state to deprive the individual of his/her constitutional liberties, but just because the state fails does not grant an individual the responsibility to carry out what the state could not.

That being said, aren't we already in an over-litigious country as it is? Do we really need MORE trials?

Okay, I think I follow.

The right to bring a civil action belongs to the "victim", though, not the state. Indeed, where the state declines to bring a criminal prosecution for lack of evidence or some more nefarious reason, the civil suit is often the only remedy available to the victim (and arguably the only means of punishing the wrong-doer).

Also, the stress of being indicted for a criminal offence is arguably not as great as the threat of having to hand over some money. Doesn't the double jeopardy principle exist to spare the accused from the pain of having to live out a criminal trial all over again? A civil suit is a different creature to a criminal trial, though I'm sure it is quite stressful being sued!

Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2011, 09:05:04 PM »

Bottom line, it is a vulgar display of voyeurism and statement on our mediated view of our world when a local crime catches the hearts and imaginations of an entire nation to such a degree in virtue of its mere salaciousness.

Another ! for this.  I watched a few seconds of a clip where hundreds were waiting in line to see the trial.  They were pushing each other, laughing, acting as if they were queuing for a roller-coaster or a day at the Coliseum.  This wasn't the story though, it was just the "interest" people had.  

Disgusting behavior.  Spare me the board in my eye argument, I'm already painfully aware of my judgmental tendencies.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2011, 09:11:29 PM »

...I can continue to wait with baited breath, uninterrupted, for the start of the English Premier League again.  laugh

English NPower League One doesn't quite have the same appeal or coverage.   Sad

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2011, 09:31:11 PM »

I'm not hoping for some violent crime that gets someone hurt. OJ committed a crime, and the man wasn't really physically hurt (as far as I know). The big mistake he made was that he had guns on hand during the crime, that is what has put him in jail for so long.

Maybe Casey is going to get stupid and maybe something similar happens, she commits some crime that isn't really major, but the details in it are what put her away for life...

It is the jury that really has decided both the OJ and the Casey cases. They were idiots.
I'd be willing to bet that the jury in this case was slanted just like the OJ case. OJ should have been tried in Santa Monica, not Downtown LA.

This might just be a case where the jury was clearly slanted and wouldn't convince some pretty little white girl of murdering her daughter so she could be a mini-socialite.

If it were an accident, she would have told someone, and wouldn't have buried her daughter, or covered it up.

Use your common sense, screw the law. The law screws things up all the time, and it's a very messed up system.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2011, 09:31:42 PM »

Okay, I think I follow.

The right to bring a civil action belongs to the "victim", though, not the state. Indeed, where the state declines to bring a criminal prosecution for lack of evidence or some more nefarious reason, the civil suit is often the only remedy available to the victim (and arguably the only means of punishing the wrong-doer).

Also, the stress of being indicted for a criminal offence is arguably not as great as the threat of having to hand over some money. Doesn't the double jeopardy principle exist to spare the accused from the pain of having to live out a criminal trial all over again? A civil suit is a different creature to a criminal trial, though I'm sure it is quite stressful being sued!
Many times, worse.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2011, 09:35:47 PM »

Speaking as a prosecutor, good for the jury.  If the prosecution can't prove its case beyond a reasonable doubt, they neither deserve nor are entitled to a conviction.  If the jury wasn't convinced, good on them for not caving to public opinion and rendering the popular verdict.
I thought they were sequestered. They shouldn't know what is a popular or unpopular verdict.

Though I can see some of the criticism of the prosecution in this case, as with the OJ case.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2011, 09:36:24 PM »

A wrongful death claim doesn't fall under double-jeopardy, thankfully. Hopefully a member of the family will open a case on her and at least punish Casey financially.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2011, 09:37:39 PM »

And it's not like judges don't screw up.  And they bribe easier.

88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2011, 09:39:06 PM »

Speaking as a prosecutor, good for the jury.  If the prosecution can't prove its case beyond a reasonable doubt, they neither deserve nor are entitled to a conviction.  If the jury wasn't convinced, good on them for not caving to public opinion and rendering the popular verdict.

The evidence doesn't matter, it's the person's guilt or innocence that matters. She is clearly guilty, if the prosecution doesn't have proof beyond reasonable doubt, who cares?
Justice is far more important than technicalities in the legal system.

If I rob a store, and the prosecution can't prove beyond a reasonable doubt I did it, I still belong in a jail cell. Sometimes I wish we had some sort of truth serum that actually made you tell the truth. Sadly, the only stuff we've got just "loosens the lips", irregardless if its true or not...

Is there technology that actually scans the brain and watches for lying vs. truthtelling? Obviously we all know about lie-detector tests, but aren't those just based on "outer" signs rather than brain activity?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 09:41:06 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2011, 09:40:27 PM »

Well...You have to actually PROVE someone is guilty. Speculation isn't proof. They didn't have a very good case against her in terms of proving guilt beyond a reasonable doubt...

A Jury cant stand up and say : "It kinda looks like she may be guilty"

Nancy Grace is a despicable shrew.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #65 on: July 05, 2011, 09:41:28 PM »

A wrongful death claim doesn't fall under double-jeopardy, thankfully. Hopefully a member of the family will open a case on her and at least punish Casey financially.
What does she have that she doesn't owe to her parents? Wasn't she living with them?

Geraldo Rivera brought up something that I've always wondered, where's the father?  Someone said he was deceased but known to the Anthonys, but then there was the implication that the brother was the father, and the mention here and there about the father never being a subject.

The whole thing is strange.

SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2011, 09:41:56 PM »

This might just be a case where the jury was clearly slanted and wouldn't convince some pretty little white girl of murdering her daughter so she could be a mini-socialite.

If it were an accident, she would have told someone, and wouldn't have buried her daughter, or covered it up.

Children can die suddenly and the symptoms of death mimic those of child abuse.  Casey Anthony's father (former police officer) knew how the legal system operated and "for all we know" anticipated his daughter's arrest and prosecution.  By Casey's sentencing, the judge will likely give Casey credit for almost 3 years behind bars and release her back to whatever lifestyle Casey pursued before becoming pregnant and giving birth to Caylee.  Plus, Casey can apply for a pardon and some FL governor will likely grant her that pardon....
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2011, 09:42:23 PM »

Well...You have to actually PROVE someone is guilty. Speculation isn't proof. They didn't have a very good case against her in terms of proving guilt beyond a reasonable doubt...

LOL. Beyond a reasonable doubt.

88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #68 on: July 05, 2011, 09:42:43 PM »

The jury could say that she is guilty based on the current evidence. There IS evidence. Just because it's not good for some people doesn't mean it isn't evidence. This murderer had what, almost a month to cover it up?
John Ward

« Reply #69 on: July 05, 2011, 09:44:13 PM »

I'm not hoping for some violent crime that gets someone hurt. OJ committed a crime, and the man wasn't really physically hurt (as far as I know). The big mistake he made was that he had guns on hand during the crime, that is what has put him in jail for so long.

Maybe Casey is going to get stupid and maybe something similar happens, she commits some crime that isn't really major, but the details in it are what put her away for life...

It is the jury that really has decided both the OJ and the Casey cases. They were idiots.
I'd be willing to bet that the jury in this case was slanted just like the OJ case. OJ should have been tried in Santa Monica, not Downtown LA.

Use your common sense, screw the law. The law screws things up all the time, and it's a very messed up system.

What crime then? Stealing something? That hurts someone since she took something from them. And stealing wouldn't get someone life in prison. I was a little surprised as the little I heard made it sound like the defense was pretty weak (the whole scared defense).

Using our "common sense" can get us in trouble to. Since we are imperfect, out common sense would be as imperfect as the law which was created by imperfect people. Like I said before, God will deal with this. That should be enough for us.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #70 on: July 05, 2011, 09:44:31 PM »

Children can die suddenly and the symptoms of death mimic those of child abuse.  Casey Anthony's father (former police officer) knew how the legal system operated and "for all we know" anticipated his daughter's arrest and prosecution.  By Casey's sentencing, the judge will likely give Casey credit for almost 3 years behind bars and release her back to whatever lifestyle Casey pursued before becoming pregnant and giving birth to Caylee.  Plus, Casey can apply for a pardon and some FL governor will likely grant her that pardon....

If that'll be the case, then I sincerely hope she is shunned in society. Of course, I have no doubt that'd happen. See how she likes her new life when people won't have anything to do with her...
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #71 on: July 05, 2011, 09:45:43 PM »

What crime then? Stealing something? That hurts someone since she took something from them. And stealing wouldn't get someone life in prison. I was a little surprised as the little I heard made it sound like the defense was pretty weak (the whole scared defense).

Using our "common sense" can get us in trouble to. Since we are imperfect, out common sense would be as imperfect as the law which was created by imperfect people. Like I said before, God will deal with this. That should be enough for us.

Actually armed robbery gets you many, many years in prison, a la OJ Simpson.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #72 on: July 05, 2011, 09:47:07 PM »

What does she have that she doesn't owe to her parents? Wasn't she living with them?

Geraldo Rivera brought up something that I've always wondered, where's the father?  Someone said he was deceased but known to the Anthonys, but then there was the implication that the brother was the father, and the mention here and there about the father never being a subject.

The whole thing is strange.

A child produced from an incestuous relationship would have a higher chance of dying suddenly. According to a 1967 article in the Journal of Pediatrics

Eighteen prospectively ascertained cases of brother x sister and father x daughter matings are described. A series of illegitimate children whose mothers were as nearly matched as possible to the incest mothers for intelligence, age, height, weight, and socioeconomic conditions were used as controls. Six of the children of incest had died or were found to have major defects on follow-up 6 months after birth date, whereas one of the comparison children was so classified. This is a larger inbreeding effect than would be predicted on the basis of published findings from marriages of first cousins. The series is published at this time to encourage others to collect these important, but rare and elusive data, in a prospective, controlled manner.

In 1978, the following article was published:

Brother-sister and father-daughter incest is far from a rare occurrence and Weitzel et al (see p 127) are correct to emphasize the need for empathetic support for the involved daughters and brother and sisters. However, we must not lose sight of the children who may, or in fact do, result from such unions.

The women involved are almost invariably young,1 a fact that adds a well-recognized increase in mortality and morbidity among the resulting children. More importantly, progeny of incestuous unions have an inbreeding intensity four times that of first cousin marriage. Data suggest2 that there is a 4% to 5% greater frequency in death plus major congenital defect in children of first cousins compared with control children. In the children of a first cousin marriage, the probability that a child will be homozygous for a specific gene present in one of the grandparents is .0625

Both articles can be found at a college and/or medical school library since some kind of registration is required to view the full PDF files.  If Caylee Anthony was a product of incest, her sudden death and destruction of DNA is a secret belonging to the Anthony family in that they all got away with incest and murder.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 10:00:28 PM by SolEX01 » Logged
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #73 on: July 05, 2011, 09:50:04 PM »

If that'll be the case, then I sincerely hope she is shunned in society. Of course, I have no doubt that'd happen. See how she likes her new life when people won't have anything to do with her...

Have you read the Scarlet Letter?  Like with Casey Anthony's life, there was no happy ending.
John Ward

« Reply #74 on: July 05, 2011, 09:56:17 PM »

Hold on while I check my Bible for where Christ said to shun people because they screwed up (for the sake of argument, I'll make the assumption that she actually did do it).

Really? I mean...really? And you can say whatever you want about me and what I'm saying here but we're going down a bad path saying stuff like this.
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #75 on: July 05, 2011, 09:57:38 PM »

The English have a saying: "common sense is as long or short as the Chancellor's foot", referring to the propensity of the Courts of Equity to do whatever the hell they felt like in the early years.

akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #76 on: July 05, 2011, 10:00:00 PM »

And it's not like judges don't screw up.  And they bribe easier.

I think judges make poorer triers of fact than juries in cases where the facts/law distinction isn't too blurry -- was just curious.

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #77 on: July 05, 2011, 10:27:49 PM »

The English have a saying: "common sense is as long or short as the Chancellor's foot", referring to the propensity of the Courts of Equity to do whatever the hell they felt like in the early years.
I rather like the principle of equity.  The elimination of it only results in injustice.

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #78 on: July 05, 2011, 10:39:35 PM »

Have you read the Scarlet Letter?  Like with Casey Anthony's life, there was no happy ending.
Depends what you think is a happy ending. (I just saw the old silent movie.  The Dimmesdale actor was a classic).

Shunned? No, she'll do a reality show and end up on Survivor or the Apprentice.

88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #79 on: July 05, 2011, 10:41:51 PM »

Hold on while I check my Bible for where Christ said to shun people because they screwed up (for the sake of argument, I'll make the assumption that she actually did do it).

Really? I mean...really? And you can say whatever you want about me and what I'm saying here but we're going down a bad path saying stuff like this.

The Bible deals with sin and our fallen state. It mentions forgiveness, but it never, ever says that the consequences of one's actions should be erased just because they've been forgiven. In fact, I think the Bible actually told Christians to do the opposite. Obey the authorities, submitting to consequences of your actions. If you do wrong, then you can be forgiven, but that doesn't mean you escape worldly justice and don't have to face the consequences. The Early Christians were breaking the law by refusing to worship Caesar, and yet, while they broke the law, they still submitted to the consequence of breaking that law.

Render unto Caesar what is due to Caeser. This is about justice and consequences, that isn't connected to Christian forgiveness. We need to forgive her and pray for her, but that doesn't mean she gets a get out of jail free card.
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #80 on: July 05, 2011, 10:58:35 PM »

Depends what you think is a happy ending. (I just saw the old silent movie.  The Dimmesdale actor was a classic).

Caylee - Casey Anthony's brother was named Lee ... coincidence?  The death penalty no longer applies to adulterers as depicted in the Scarlet Letter; however, the question is will Casey gain strength and stamina (as did Hester Prynne) to continue with her life outside of the past 6+ years (since conceiving Caylee)?

Like OJ Simpson before her?   Roll Eyes  I wonder what dinner at the Anthony family home will look like Thursday evening if Casey walks out of the courtroom a free woman?   Huh
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #81 on: July 05, 2011, 11:07:09 PM »

Caylee - Casey Anthony's brother was named Lee ... coincidence?  The death penalty no longer applies to adulterers as depicted in the Scarlet Letter; however, the question is will Casey gain strength and stamina (as did Hester Prynne) to continue with her life outside of the past 6+ years (since conceiving Caylee)?

Like OJ Simpson before her?   Roll Eyes
  IIRC he did the golf circuit instead.

I wonder what dinner at the Anthony family home will look like Thursday evening if Casey walks out of the courtroom a free woman?   Huh
The holidays should be interesting.

Mivac

« Reply #82 on: July 05, 2011, 11:14:13 PM »

What incredibly horrible responses.  The judgments of we know, the attacks on her and wishing she was made incapable of having children. etc.

I will find it highly ironic if she turned to the Church then by the time of her death she was seen as a Saint.

Go ahead, keep judging the outcome as if you know.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #83 on: July 05, 2011, 11:19:33 PM »

What incredibly horrible responses.  The judgments of we know, the attacks on her and wishing she was made incapable of having children. etc.

I will find it highly ironic if she turned to the Church then by the time of her death she was seen as a Saint.

Go ahead, keep trusting the all-infallible justice system...
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #84 on: July 05, 2011, 11:20:12 PM »

The Bible deals with sin and our fallen state. It mentions forgiveness, but it never, ever says that the consequences of one's actions should be erased just because they've been forgiven. In fact, I think the Bible actually told Christians to do the opposite. Obey the authorities, submitting to consequences of your actions. If you do wrong, then you can be forgiven, but that doesn't mean you escape worldly justice and don't have to face the consequences. The Early Christians were breaking the law by refusing to worship Caesar, and yet, while they broke the law, they still submitted to the consequence of breaking that law.

Render unto Caesar what is due to Caeser. This is about justice and consequences, that isn't connected to Christian forgiveness. We need to forgive her and pray for her, but that doesn't mean she gets a get out of jail free card.

How about a victim of incest?  How about a victim of incest who kills the one abusing him/her?  Two wrongs do not make a right; however, the US legal system can take into account crimes committed under duress, under fear and under intimidation.  If a woman killed a relative who committed incest, should she rot in a jail cell?  If a woman killed her own child conceived due to incest, does she deserve the death penalty?   Huh
Mivac

« Reply #85 on: July 05, 2011, 11:24:58 PM »

Go ahead, keep trusting the all-infallible justice system...

I don't trust the justice system one bit, especially with all the behind the scenes blackmail of defendants. BTW I in my original post did not say anything positive or negative concerning the justice system. 
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #86 on: July 05, 2011, 11:34:01 PM »

How about a victim of incest?  How about a victim of incest who kills the one abusing him/her?  Two wrongs do not make a right; however, the US legal system can take into account crimes committed under duress, under fear and under intimidation.  If a woman killed a relative who committed incest, should she rot in a jail cell?  If a woman killed her own child conceived due to incest, does she deserve the death penalty?   Huh

The justice system should have something in place to determine "just kill". So if someone is committed of murder, they could then proceed to a trial that determines if it was a just kill.

Also no, if you kill a child that is a result of incest, you are a murderer and belong in prison. If a woman has an abortion just because she was raped or it was due to incest, it's still a baby that is being killed. (I would argue the mother that had the abortion doesn't belong in prison, but here we are talking about a 2 year old girl, that goes beyond abortion)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 11:36:14 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
Mivac

« Reply #87 on: July 05, 2011, 11:48:13 PM »

How about a victim of incest?  How about a victim of incest who kills the one abusing him/her?  Two wrongs do not make a right; however, the US legal system can take into account crimes committed under duress, under fear and under intimidation.  If a woman killed a relative who committed incest, should she rot in a jail cell?  If a woman killed her own child conceived due to incest, does she deserve the death penalty?   Huh

The justice system should have something in place to determine "just kill". So if someone is committed of murder, they could then proceed to a trial that determines if it was a just kill.

Also no, if you kill a child that is a result of incest, you are a murderer and belong in prison. If a woman has an abortion just because she was raped or it was due to incest, it's still a baby that is being killed. (I would argue the mother that had the abortion doesn't belong in prison, but here we are talking about a 2 year old girl, that goes beyond abortion)

It goes beyond abortion, how so?
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #88 on: July 06, 2011, 12:06:09 AM »

Also no, if you kill a child that is a result of incest, you are a murderer and belong in prison.

In 1999, the following appeared in an abstract:

The absence of the father as a vital force in family life played a key role in the sexual abuse of women by their brothers in every case. The duration of the sexual abuse for brother-abused women and father-abused women was lengthy. The characteristics, including use of force, are equally as serious for sisters as for daughters. The family circumstances surrounding the abuse were examined for both groups and the results yielded a fuller understanding of the incestuous family. Despite an appearance of normalcy, the level of family-wide disturbances, for example substance abuse, mental illness and pervasive family-wide violence were profound for both groups. In this study, we also examine the effects in adulthood of the serious disruption of childhood developmental phases for both brother-abused and father-abused women, taking into account the incidence of substance abuse, depression, suicidality, and eating disorders.

For sake of argument, let's say that Casey Anthony is mentally equivalent to a ten year old child as a result of incest from her brother.  Would you send someone with the mental aptitude of a 10 year old to death row for killing a child produced as a result of incest?

If a woman has an abortion just because she was raped or it was due to incest, it's still a baby that is being killed. (I would argue the mother that had the abortion doesn't belong in prison, but here we are talking about a 2 year old girl, that goes beyond abortion)

In Florida, 12 year olds are being charged as adults with first degree murder.  How many of them will have 3 high profile defense attorneys working around the clock for them?  Where's the injustice?

If you want to put your eggs in the Church, that is your direction.  Note that the Church chooses to remain silent on many issues such as the disintegration of the family.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #89 on: July 06, 2011, 12:41:52 AM »

Also no, if you kill a child that is a result of incest, you are a murderer and belong in prison.

In 1999, the following appeared in an abstract:

The absence of the father as a vital force in family life played a key role in the sexual abuse of women by their brothers in every case. The duration of the sexual abuse for brother-abused women and father-abused women was lengthy. The characteristics, including use of force, are equally as serious for sisters as for daughters. The family circumstances surrounding the abuse were examined for both groups and the results yielded a fuller understanding of the incestuous family. Despite an appearance of normalcy, the level of family-wide disturbances, for example substance abuse, mental illness and pervasive family-wide violence were profound for both groups. In this study, we also examine the effects in adulthood of the serious disruption of childhood developmental phases for both brother-abused and father-abused women, taking into account the incidence of substance abuse, depression, suicidality, and eating disorders.

For sake of argument, let's say that Casey Anthony is mentally equivalent to a ten year old child as a result of incest from her brother.  Would you send someone with the mental aptitude of a 10 year old to death row for killing a child produced as a result of incest?

If a woman has an abortion just because she was raped or it was due to incest, it's still a baby that is being killed. (I would argue the mother that had the abortion doesn't belong in prison, but here we are talking about a 2 year old girl, that goes beyond abortion)

In Florida, 12 year olds are being charged as adults with first degree murder.  How many of them will have 3 high profile defense attorneys working around the clock for them?  Where's the injustice?

If you want to put your eggs in the Church, that is your direction.  Note that the Church chooses to remain silent on many issues such as the disintegration of the family.

Who said anything about death row?

Just because the church chooses to remain silent doesn't mean I am obligated to do the same. The church allows me to form my own opinions on matters like this.
Tags: Casey Anthony Chuck Norris 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: