OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 02:50:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chrismation questions  (Read 533 times) Average Rating: 0
Xenia1918
High Elder

Faith: Praying for Divine guidance

« on: July 04, 2011, 03:02:34 PM »

What is a chrismation normally like in a OCA parish, where the convert was formally baptized RC? What do I need to know beforehand?

"O God, enlarge within us the sense of fellowship with all living things, our brothers the animals to whom Thou gavest the earth as their home in common with us..." (from the Prayer of St Basil the Great)

REAL RC: http://www.traditionalmass.org
REAL OC: http://www.orthodoxinfo.com
zekarja
High Elder

Faith: Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction: Melkite Greek Catholic Church

St Theodora of Alexandria, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 03:37:42 PM »

This might help:

the chrismation service for receiving converts, where it is only chrismation that is taking place (i.e. no Baptism), is a lot simpler as far as I've seen (been to 2, participated in one Grin). the general outline is something like this:

* begins in narthex, if you havent done renunciations of ur past religion yet, you do those now. then statement of what you now believe (not the creed tho, but a different thing about your new relationship to the Orthodox Church, etc.) - often this is in a Q&A format where priest asks questions, you answer (reading everything the whole time, mind you - i.e. dont feel like u'll hafta memorize the proper responses beforehand - priest will be reading too Wink).

* priest leads you into temple by your holding his epitrachelion (sp?), to stand before the gospel book and cross, which is in the center of the church. next to this is a table w/ the chrism and all the other goodies the priest will need Smiley

* then you kneel (or i did) and say the creed (i think this is where this is - you say the creed at SOME point), then priest says prayer over you, then he proceeds to absolve you of your sins w/ his epitrachelion (i think) draped over your head - you are still kneeling while he does this.

* then you stand, i think this is where you kiss the gospel book and cross, and he says another prayer, followed by the anointing w/ Holy Chrism on all the places choirfriend listed (this is the part where, if you are wearing shoes that come off easily, you take them off, which is what i did - i was wearing slide-on sandles of some sort - but if you dont own anything like this, then you can run it by your priest beforehand and ask if you can do the whole service barefoot, which he will certainly agree to because he needs access to your feet)

* then i think there's another prayer he says (i cant remember), then the ablution (wipes chrism off with a sponge and warm water)

* then there is a litany, which is the usual petitions w/ one added for you, the newly illumined, and your sponsor.

* then he says a closing prayer, and service is over Smiley priest may say a few words to you and all that are present, at this point, welcoming you into the Church and giving you words of encouragement, etc.

* then the best part - an hour later in liturgy you get to receive communion Grin

my priest used the Isabella Hapgood service book, which i own, but it is at school (and i am at home right now) so i cant confirm if this is the exact order of everything - but this is the gyst. Smiley

In Christ,
Donna Mary

Taken from: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=6275.0

EDIT: Here is the Greek Archdiocese service: http://www.denver.goarch.org/teleturgical_encyclicals/te-23-encl.pdf
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 03:40:02 PM by zekarja » Logged

Xenia1918
High Elder

Faith: Praying for Divine guidance

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 03:45:37 PM »

Thank you very much! Smiley

"O God, enlarge within us the sense of fellowship with all living things, our brothers the animals to whom Thou gavest the earth as their home in common with us..." (from the Prayer of St Basil the Great)

REAL RC: http://www.traditionalmass.org
REAL OC: http://www.orthodoxinfo.com
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 09:07:21 PM »

The above post from Donna Rose describes what I have seen in my OCA parish a few times. We've received mostly evangelicals/low church Protestants who were baptized, but I've seen some confesional (sacramental) United Methodists and Lutherans accepted by chrismation. RCs, of course, are almost always accepted by chrismation in the OCA. I've never heard of it not happening that way.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 09:08:09 PM by Benjamin the Red » Logged

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 09:17:59 PM »

The service book calls for RC to be chrismated only on the forehead. This is of course after doing your first confession in private (the absolution is read at the service), the creed recited, acknowledgement and acceptance of the Orthodox Church as the Church established by Christ through His apostles, and veneration of the cross and Gospel book.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: