OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 05:05:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icons of Saint Dioscorus?  (Read 2659 times) Average Rating: 0
Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Coptic/Egyptian Orthodoxy

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Christians

Partisangirl
« on: July 04, 2011, 02:41:37 PM »

Does anyone know where I can find a decent icon of Saint Dioscorus? Most of the ones I find are either too small, or poorly photographed, or just aren't very pleasing to the eye (yes, the aesthetics of an icon are important to me).

Here are all the ones I could find:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:PopeDioscorosI.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:St._Dioscorus.jpg
http://www.copt.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/pillars-dioscorus.jpg

It's a shame he isn't depicted as much as other Saints, he is so dear to my heart.

Thank you,
Severian

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ (Cf. St. John 16:33)
Jonathan
High Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 03:34:02 PM »

www.smcoc.ca/Scan10008.TIF

Just for future reference, when giving a link you are supposed to put a short description of what it is.  
Thanks,  
Salpy   Smiley

« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 07:58:12 PM by Salpy » Logged
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 03:45:11 PM »

Unfortunately, the link doesn't seem to work. Thanks anyway!  Smiley

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ (Cf. St. John 16:33)
Jonathan
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 03:58:44 PM »

Unfortunately, the link doesn't seem to work. Thanks anyway!  Smiley

Try http://www.stmaryscopticorthodox.ca/sevdios.jpg
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 04:06:48 PM »

Thanks. It's beautiful. What great colors. I assume the one on the left is St. Dioscorus and the other is Saint Severus?

Jonathan
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 04:28:59 PM »

Thanks. It's beautiful. What great colors. I assume the one on the left is St. Dioscorus and the other is Saint Severus?

Looks to me like the one on the left says "Abba Severos" and the one on the right "Abba Dioscoros".

It's from the 13th century (I think) icons at St. Antony's Monastary in Egypt. My brother-in-law takes pictures every year when he visits, and once and a while they turn out.
zekarja
High Elder

O Holy Prophet Zechariah, intercede to God for us!

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 11:20:23 AM »

Here is one (from http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coptic-Icons/121978684534575):
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 11:21:33 AM by zekarja » Logged

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 11:21:23 AM »

Here is one:
Thank you so much!

EDIT: I framed your icon and put it in my prayer corner. I am going to Church today so I might even show it to my Priest to get it blessed. He'll probably really like it, my Priest also values the patronage of our Teacher St Dioscorus the Confessor. Thank you again!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 11:32:40 AM by Severian » Logged

NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 04:03:14 PM »

Here is one:
Thank you so much!

EDIT: I framed your icon and put it in my prayer corner. I am going to Church today so I might even show it to my Priest to get it blessed. He'll probably really like it, my Priest also values the patronage of our Teacher St Dioscorus the Confessor. Thank you again!
How are icons blessed in the Coptic Church?

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
zekarja
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 04:57:50 PM »

Here is one:
Thank you so much!

You're welcome! I was fortunate to come across it. Smiley

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 05:55:15 PM »

Not sure actually... I guess he'd just make the sign of the cross on it. Or at least that's what I've seen my Priest do when he blesses things (like drivers licences, for example), he may just sprinkle things with holy water. I would have brought the icon mostly for the reason that my Priest also really loves St Dioscorus, getting it blessed would have been a secondary option.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 06:08:40 PM by Severian » Logged

Aram

Faith: Armenian Church

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 07:12:29 PM »

Why on earth would you bless a drivers' license?
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 10:23:09 PM »

Why on earth would you bless a drivers' license?
LOL. laugh The kid first got his driver's license and as a joke he asked my Priest "Abounah can you bless it?" As I said, it was more of a humorous gesture than anything else.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 10:38:14 PM by Severian » Logged

Jonathan
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2011, 02:09:36 PM »

The icons used in the church are consecrated by a bishop using the holy myroun (chrism). Some people have the icons in their home blessed by a bishop in the same way. When I didn't know about this, I asked my priest about getting an icon given to me as a gift for my baptism blessed, and he said that normally only the icons in the church are blessed. We don't have the custom of placing icons on the altar during the Liturgy to bless them like EO do, nor are icons normally blessed with a quick sign of the cross as is the RC practice. Priests normally bless water, pray asking a home, car, etc., be blessed, and sprinkle the water around the home or on the car, etc. This is not normally done with icons, I would assume to avoid confusion with icons that have been consecrated by a bishop.
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2011, 02:45:44 PM »

The icons used in the church are consecrated by a bishop using the holy myroun (chrism). Some people have the icons in their home blessed by a bishop in the same way. When I didn't know about this, I asked my priest about getting an icon given to me as a gift for my baptism blessed, and he said that normally only the icons in the church are blessed. We don't have the custom of placing icons on the altar during the Liturgy to bless them like EO do, nor are icons normally blessed with a quick sign of the cross as is the RC practice. Priests normally bless water, pray asking a home, car, etc., be blessed, and sprinkle the water around the home or on the car, etc. This is not normally done with icons, I would assume to avoid confusion with icons that have been consecrated by a bishop.
Fwiw, here's a video of HH Pope Shenouda consecrating icons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpgtgplMCZA

And thanks for clarifying that Johnathan. Smiley
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 02:57:52 PM by Severian » Logged

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2011, 03:25:32 PM »

Fwiw, here's a video of HH Pope Shenouda consecrating icons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpgtgplMCZA

The mitre that His Holiness is wearing looks pretty Byzantine. Does all Coptic bishops wear mitres like that or is it reserved for the pope?

Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2011, 03:30:47 PM »

The mitre that His Holiness is wearing looks pretty Byzantine. Does all Coptic bishops wear mitres like that or is it reserved for the pope?
The only two Coptic Bishops I have seen wear the Byzantine style mitre are His Holiness and HE Abba Seraphim of the British Orthodox Church.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 03:32:06 PM by Severian » Logged

CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2011, 01:04:43 PM »

I believe that specific mitre was a gift from the Russian Patriarch Alexy II of blessed memory.

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Father Peter
Archon

Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2011, 01:23:32 PM »

I don't think that Abba Seraphim often wears his Byzantine style crown, although it is beautiful. He wears it on the most solemn occasions, otherwise he wears a Coptic metropolitans hat. He wore it at the consecration of a Church, and at my ordination, for instance.

http://britishorthodox.org/aboutus/photo-gallery/?album=all&gallery=2

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2011, 10:02:06 PM »

Another Icon of our Holy Father:
http://karmaicons.com/fresco/fres21.htm
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 10:08:38 PM by Severian » Logged

copticuser20

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Khen Piekhristos Isoos Penchois

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2011, 11:08:01 AM »

Coptic Icons for houses are not consecrated. Consecrations of icons means that they are for the church and do not leave the church.
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2011, 09:38:29 PM »

Another one:

The bottom of the Icon says "Bensak Dioskoros".

Jonathan
High Elder

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2011, 10:58:44 PM »

Coptic Icons for houses are not consecrated. Consecrations of icons means that they are for the church and do not leave the church.

Well... some people have had icons in their houses consecrated by bishops... should that happen is another question... I don't know. It would seem weird to me to have the icons in the whole house consecrated (thought not that weird, I don't see how it's much different than the EO practice of placing the icons on the altar to bless them.  The Holy Spirit comes down upon the Altar in the Liturgy, and the Holy Spirit is received in Chrism, so it seems pretty parallel to me, but I really don't know what the rule is.)

Some (very few) people even have altars in their houses that are consecrated, so certainly they could have consecrated icons with them. I've seen one altar in a retired priest's house... it was basically just a walk in closet with an altar in the middle where he prayed the Liturgy in his home (of course not alone). I've never seen this in the house of a layman, but I have certainly heard of icons in the house of laymen being consecrated by a bishop.
zekarja
High Elder

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2011, 12:42:10 PM »

Oops, already posted.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 12:43:53 PM by zekarja » Logged

samkim
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2011, 04:46:03 PM »

Interesting to see them vested as Byzantine churchmen. Were byzantine vestments used in Syria and Alexandria?

주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.
copticmind

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Alexandria

GeorgeFahim
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2011, 03:06:23 PM »

It's the first time I see the Coptic name of Alexandria "Rakoti" used instead of the usual Greek name. I would love to know more about the history of this icon.

Ⲡⲁϭⲟⲓⲥ Ⲓⲏⲥ Ⲡⲭⲥ ⳿ⲡϣⲏⲣⲓ ⳿ⲙ⳿Ⲫⲛⲟⲩϯ ⲛⲁⲓ ⲛⲏⲓ ⲁⲛⲟⲕ ⲡⲓⲣⲉϥⲉⲣⲛⲟⲃⲓ
يا ربي يسوع المسيح ابن الله ارحمني أنا الخاطئ
Fr.Aidan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church (ROCOR)

Ds. superbis resistit; humilibus autem dat gratiam

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2011, 04:24:48 PM »

The remarks on how Copts bless icons are of interest to me in their similarity to very old Western prayers for icons, which indicate the practice of applying chrism (myron) in consecrating an icon. It does appear that the Eastern Orthodox prayers for blessing icons (this is done more in the Russian than the Greek church, I gather), which involve sprinkling with holy water, are borrowed from the Western rite, not as to exact text but as to certain core texts, which were (later, apparently) woven into a complex and full "service."

Now I wonder if Copts got this from Western rite clergy, or maybe vice versa? And whether any (hypothetical) cross-fertilisation occurred pre-1054, in the middle ages, or later on.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2011, 04:31:08 PM »

It does appear that the Eastern Orthodox prayers for blessing icons (this is done more in the Russian than the Greek church, I gather), which involve sprinkling with holy water, are borrowed from the Western rite, not as to exact text but as to certain core texts, which were (later, apparently) woven into a complex and full "service."
Perhaps the western texts and eastern service both draw from another common source.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2011, 05:16:20 PM »

The only two Coptic Bishops I have seen wear the Byzantine style mitre are His Holiness and HE Abba Seraphim of the British Orthodox Church.

I've seen other bishops wear them as well, usually those bishops that are officially diocesan bishops.  Their Graces Bishop Serapion of California and Bishop Sourial of Australia are examples of bishops wearing mitres.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2011, 05:43:56 PM »

selam to all

what does'' Bensak" mean?

thank you in advance
selam. Smiley

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Severian
Protokentarchos

Partisangirl
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2011, 05:47:53 PM »

selam to all

what does'' Bensak" mean?

thank you in advance
selam. Smiley
"Our teacher". In the Coptic liturgy St. Dioscorus is referred to as "our teacher Dioscorus".

EDIT: Actually "our teacher" in Coptic is spelled with a "khai" rather than a "kappa". So the Icon probably more accurately reads "Bensakh" Dioskoros rather than "Bensak Dioskoros". My bad. Tongue

« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 06:00:56 PM by Severian » Logged

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2011, 06:56:49 PM »

Thank you so much Severian Grin so today I learnt one Coptic word yay!

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2011, 10:09:27 PM »

The remarks on how Copts bless icons are of interest to me in their similarity to very old Western prayers for icons, which indicate the practice of applying chrism (myron) in consecrating an icon. It does appear that the Eastern Orthodox prayers for blessing icons (this is done more in the Russian than the Greek church, I gather), which involve sprinkling with holy water, are borrowed from the Western rite, not as to exact text but as to certain core texts, which were (later, apparently) woven into a complex and full "service."

Now I wonder if Copts got this from Western rite clergy, or maybe vice versa? And whether any (hypothetical) cross-fertilisation occurred pre-1054, in the middle ages, or later on.

The Armenian Church also uses chrism in consecrating icons for the church.  My understanding is that it is an ancient practice.

Jonathan
High Elder

« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2011, 10:50:58 PM »

It's the first time I see the Coptic name of Alexandria "Rakoti" used instead of the usual Greek name. I would love to know more about the history of this icon.

This book is about the restoration of these icons (it has a lot of pictures of the icons, and the monks there have their own pictures of them for reproductions):

http://books.google.com/books/about/Monastic_visions.html?id=wUrPXHH1zqYC
copticmind

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Alexandria

GeorgeFahim
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2011, 05:29:16 AM »

This book is about the restoration of these icons (it has a lot of pictures of the icons, and the monks there have their own pictures of them for reproductions):

http://books.google.com/books/about/Monastic_visions.html?id=wUrPXHH1zqYC

Thanks for the book recommendation Jonathan, So It's an icon from St. Anthony's monastery in Egypt, I have been there before the restoration, and God willing I'll go there again one day. I heard about this book also in this ancient faith podcast.

Ⲡⲁϭⲟⲓⲥ Ⲓⲏⲥ Ⲡⲭⲥ ⳿ⲡϣⲏⲣⲓ ⳿ⲙ⳿Ⲫⲛⲟⲩϯ ⲛⲁⲓ ⲛⲏⲓ ⲁⲛⲟⲕ ⲡⲓⲣⲉϥⲉⲣⲛⲟⲃⲓ
يا ربي يسوع المسيح ابن الله ارحمني أنا الخاطئ
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2011, 11:31:02 AM »

Thanks for the book recommendation Jonathan, So It's an icon from St. Anthony's monastery in Egypt, I have been there before the restoration, and God willing I'll go there again one day. I heard about this book also in this ancient faith podcast.

Wow, that was a voice from the past. I knew Abouna Anastasi from before he became a monk, truly a wonderful and holy man.

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Tags: St. Severus St. Dioscoros Oriental Orthodox saints OO icons 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: