OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 02:36:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Spiritual Number 11  (Read 1852 times) Average Rating: 5
Poppy
OC.net guru

Faith: Muslim
Jurisdiction: Hanbali fiqh

onlytwatsusetwitter
« on: July 04, 2011, 12:00:10 PM »

I had a conversation with this bloke at uni who does numerology, about the number 11 which he says is the most spiritual number, for a tonne of reasons. He says that numerology is from the bible and that God uses numbers in the bible. Well, at the time i asked this question on the protestant forums and they all basically said it was pants. So i lost interest in it BUT before he left to go home he said that i was a "light bearer" and that he knew it and that he was supposed to tell me. I laughed and said "uh huh" but he said like that i would start to see the number 11 everywhere if what he was saying was true, because there was something special in me which is why i don't fit in with allot of people and he asked me if i felt that i was akward in this world?? lolOl.... he said there was a reason for that.  i didn't think much of it apart from that it was funny.

They all went home when uni finished and now some are back because of graduation and i saw him again a couple weeks ago and we had a small chat. But no word, i have been seeing this number EVERYWHERE lolOl and when he asked me about it i had to say that yeah i have been noticing it allot. either 11 on it's own or 11:11 or w/eva.

Tonight he is going to this meeting and asked me if i wanted to go as well. So i am going just because im curious but..... what is there to do with Orthodox faith and numerology?? I know from the icons and reading about them, that some numbers are significant. But does someone know more about it than just that??

Thanks Popps
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 12:48:41 PM »

Numbers are significant in Orthodoxy, yes. 3, 12, and 40 are the big ones (3 for the Trinity, 12 for the patriarchs and apostles, and 40 for the length of days Christ fasted in the wilderness). There are some fathers that will go into the numerological significance of numbers in the Bible and certainly many numbers have a deeper meaning especially in the prophets but for most of us I would say not to pay too much attention to it (especially from weirdos at universities that talk about "light bearers").

As for this guy- if I plant the suggestion in your head that you're special and the proof of being special is that you will see a certain number everywhere then you will start seeing this certain number, it doesn't matter if it's 11, 93, 911, or 42. Part of your mind starts actively seeking out this number, even if you're not conscious of it. It's one of the funny quirks of the human brain, and one of the little tricks that cultish types use for their recruiting (another trick is asking "Do you ever feel alone, even when you're in a crowd?" Everyone does at some point or another).

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
joasia

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: RTOC

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 01:50:05 PM »

Poppy,

This is my advise.  Stay the heck away from this guy.  He's with the dark one.   And it's true that if someone suggests something that you will start noticing it even if it's been in your face all the time, but it didn't mean anything.  He could have picked any number.  Numbers are so easy as they are everywhere.  Do not go to their meeting!  You have been involved in Christian posts and perhaps he knew about it and wanted to pull you away.  I suggest that you ask Jesus Christ to show you the truth.

Also, the term "light-bearer" is lucifer's name.  This guy will smooze you and compliment you and appeal to your feelings of wanting to be loved and cared for (we all have that feeling).  You will probably see him around again, even if you don't go tonight (please don't go), so next time test him.  Tell him that you care to convert to Christianity and see if he respects your response.  I'd be interested to know how he responds. 

Another thing, these people always try to show that Christianity is related to their satanic beliefs because the evil one wants to copy Christ and use the same terminologies in order to drawn them away from Christ. 

Stillness,  prayer, love and self-control are a four-horsed chariot bearing the intellect to Heaven. (Philokalia 2: p.308 - #24) - St. Thalassios

The proper activity of the intellect is to be attentive at every moment to the words of God.   (Philokalia 2: p. 308 - # 30) - St. Thalassios
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 03:26:32 PM »

don't worry Joasia, im not easily smoozed. I'm just curious that's all. I went to a pentecostal church ages ago because i was curious and a baptist one, none of them jumped me. Plus i know him hes just a normal student nothing weird about him, well apart from this haha... I have been able to decide up till now haven't i?? That's half the reason i'm here reading this stuff on here. But i know you're just concerned. It's fine honest. You should of seen by now that i don't get sucked in that easy by anyone trying to smooze away.

And as for you both saying about telling people things that hooks into their feelings, isn't that what Christianity does a bit as well?? The whole thing of being healed and being more yourself as you are changed. That's apealing as well to people.
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 04:52:33 PM »

My only guess is that 11 is a prime number made of 2 of the same prime numbers.  I don't know any reason to excited about it.  I agree with Joasia.
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 05:15:44 PM »

And as for you both saying about telling people things that hooks into their feelings, isn't that what Christianity does a bit as well?? The whole thing of being healed and being more yourself as you are changed. That's apealing as well to people.
Quite true. Deep down, I think we all feel our own brokenness and God is in the healing business.

But Christianity also offers us a cup of suffering, a constant struggle against the darkness until our dying breath. Few cults or occult groups will offer that. They want the Throne minus the Cross. The only hardship for them is other people being too "stupid" to get with the superior knowledge.
joasia

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 05:16:18 PM »

Quote from: poppy

Now, why did I know you were going to bring that point up?   Smiley  I think that's why I added my last sentence.  They use the same approach as Christ, but their goal is evil.  

We also get fooled by someone looking normal, but we don't know what secrets they have.  The same goes for a person that doesn't look normal to our standards, but they could have the biggest hearts.  

Quote from: Poppy
You should of seen by now that i don't get sucked in that easy by anyone trying to smooze away.

Yes, I was thinking about that too when I wrote my response.  And yes, your curiosity did bring you to different Christian places, but he mentioned the light-bearer and that's what set my warning signal off.  Did he, by chance, suggest a website to go to?  

Stillness,  prayer, love and self-control are a four-horsed chariot bearing the intellect to Heaven. (Philokalia 2: p.308 - #24) - St. Thalassios

The proper activity of the intellect is to be attentive at every moment to the words of God.   (Philokalia 2: p. 308 - # 30) - St. Thalassios
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 07:52:55 PM »

Eleven means you haven't eaten the entire box of donuts.  Wink

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 07:58:43 PM »

But it does mean you've used all the hot dog buns Huh
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 08:16:07 PM »

...And now I'm hungry!

As for numerology, I place that in the same category as astrology... I can add the letters in my name a hundred different ways and get 100 different results varying from "I'm freaking awesome" to "I'm the freaking anti-Christ." So much of it is so vague that it can apply to just about anybody from any walk of life no matter what the result is.

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
Cymbyz
Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 08:31:13 PM »

The spiritual significance of 11 is probably "deficiency."  The latter half of the first chapter of Acts is taken up with what the Apostles did when they realized that their number was doen to 11 because of the suicide of Judas Iscariot, who betrayed Christ.  It was to rectify this deficiency that they devised qualifications for and held an election by lot for a replacement Apostle (St. Matthaias), and so established the oldest canon bearing on Apostolic Succession and Conciliarity.  It was only after the explosive growth of the infant Church that they realized the futility of being numerologically correct.

The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen
GDan

Faith: Atheist

I only log on once a week - Friday

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2011, 08:35:59 AM »

hes just a normal student nothing weird about him

i don't get sucked in that easy by anyone trying to smooze away.

Pop

Is that 'polyester' Liam you are referring to when you say "nothing weird about him"?  Wink

You get "sucked in" by a sob story to easily - remember Ashad?  Roll Eyes

Peace and love,
GDan
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2011, 09:51:04 AM »

My response to all this kind of (cue "Twilight Zone" theme) stuff is always bewilderment, followed by impatience and exasperation.

Sheesh, isn't the Gospel enough?

After all, it would take several lifetimes to study Scripture and the Fathers, finding amazing and incredible stuff therein, and we would still only have scratched the surface of the ultimate reality therein.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2011, 10:00:36 AM »

So long as they were Hebrew National hot dogs.

Why would 11 have any sig? I can't think of anything in the Jewish or Christian scriptues that hold out 11 as special. How about 40? or 7?

Proverbs 22:7
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2011, 10:24:56 AM »

Because of the identical digits, 11 is known as a "master number" in numerology. Others are 22 and 33 (and we all know what alphabet has 22 letters; and what Person is often traditionally thought to have died at age 33).

Numerology can give you some insight into your strengths and weaknesses, as well as relationship compatibility, so studying it can give some benefit, but after a while, the benefit received dramatically diminishes after a certain number of hours spent studying it.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2011, 10:46:32 AM »

Why would 11 have any sig? I can't think of anything in the Jewish or Christian scriptues that hold out 11 as special. How about 40? or 7?
Not a definitive answer, but eleven brothers bowed before Joseph in Egypt; eleven apostles remained faithful.
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2011, 10:48:49 AM »

Not a definitive answer, but eleven brothers bowed before Joseph in Egypt; eleven apostles remained faithful.
Also, Joseph was the 11th son of Jacob.

Eleven of the 12 tribes of Israel occupied a specific territory (with Levi set apart, serving in the Temple).
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 10:50:59 AM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2011, 11:12:44 AM »

I hate math. Of any sort. Even numerology. Tongue

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2011, 05:15:30 PM »

Also, Joseph was the 11th son of Jacob.

Eleven of the 12 tribes of Israel occupied a specific territory (with Levi set apart, serving in the Temple).
No, Levi had a number of scattered cities.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 05:15:43 PM by Volnutt » Logged
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2011, 06:13:48 PM »

This reminds me of one day a couple of years agoo when I was on the library. A girl who was a little younger than me came over to me and said that one day I would save the world.  Cheesy

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Philoumenos
Wishes Jews Would Come to Christ

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2011, 08:20:36 PM »

Sounds like a Freemason to me (because of the reference to Lucifer: 'the light bearer').

He basically told you that you are a Luciferian like him.

"My number is 11, as all their numbers who are of us. The Five Pointed Star, with a Circle in the Middle, & the circle is Red. My colour is black to the blind, but the blue & gold are seen of the seeing."

By Aleister Crowley

From 'Liber AL vel Legis': 'The Book of the Law', chapter 1, verse 60

http://www.luminist.org/archives/chapter_1.htm

Blue & gold:

“If my sons did not want war, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnapper, wife of Mayer Amschel Rothschild

"The individual is handicapped by coming face-to-face with a conspiracy so monstrous he cannot believe it exists." - J. Edgar Hoover
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2011, 08:30:39 PM »

What about 42?
laugh

Proverbs 22:7
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2011, 08:31:51 PM »

What about 42?
laugh
It's not a prime number.  Tongue
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2011, 09:48:11 PM »

hes just a normal student nothing weird about him

i don't get sucked in that easy by anyone trying to smooze away.

Pop

Is that 'polyester' Liam you are referring to when you say "nothing weird about him"?  Wink

You get "sucked in" by a sob story to easily - remember Ashad?  Roll Eyes

Peace and love,
GDan

haha.... Ashad was different!!!! He sucked everyone in not just me and yeah it's Liam and he doesn't wear poly he did ONCE because he got stuck at a Rias house and had to wear emergency clothes. GEEEZZZ!!!! let it go lolOl
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2011, 09:48:11 PM »

Not in scripture but just it is significant

The date of the attack: 9/11 - 9 + 1 + 1 = 11
September 11th is the 254th day of the year: 2 + 5 + 4 = 11
After September 11th there are 111 days left to the end of the year.
119 is the area code to Iraq/Iran. 1 + 1 + 9 = 11
Twin Towers - standing side by side look like the number 11
The first plane to hit the towers was Flight 11
State of New York - The 11th State added to the Union
New York City - 11 Letters
Afghanistan - 11 Letters
The Pentagon - 11 Letters
Ramzi Yousef - 11 Letters (convicted or orchestrating the attack at the WTC in 1993)
Flight 11 - 92 on board - 9 + 2 = 11
Flight 77 - 65 on board - 6 + 5 = 11

theres a tonne more lolOl
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2011, 10:36:53 PM »

This reminds me of one day a couple of years agoo when I was on the library. A girl who was a little younger than me came over to me and said that one day I would save the world.  Cheesy
Was she an indestructible cheerleader?
joasia

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2011, 11:08:55 PM »

Poppy,

All your examples are significant.  But, does that mean that this guy has told you that you are part of the evil scheme against humanity?  Why would he say that you are the light-bearer?  One fact that I don't see anybody mentioning, since most are all new calendarists here, is that 9/11 by the Julian calendar is August 29th, the Beheading of St. John the Baptist, a very strict fasting day, even without oil. I wonder what that means.  Is it a warning?  Is it plausible to assess that since he was the forerunner of the coming of the Messiah that he may be warning us of His Second Coming? 

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2011, 07:42:56 PM »

Poppy, I have also been seeing 11 and multiples thereof (22 and 121, for instance) quite a lot lately, and at that no one seems to have suggested the idea of 11 to me beforehand.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2011, 07:47:55 PM »

Poppy,

All your examples are significant.  But, does that mean that this guy has told you that you are part of the evil scheme against humanity?  Why would he say that you are the light-bearer?  One fact that I don't see anybody mentioning, since most are all new calendarists here, is that 9/11 by the Julian calendar is August 29th, the Beheading of St. John the Baptist, a very strict fasting day, even without oil. I wonder what that means.  Is it a warning?  Is it plausible to assess that since he was the forerunner of the coming of the Messiah that he may be warning us of His Second Coming? 

No man knows the hour.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
GDan

Faith: Atheist

I only log on once a week - Friday

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2011, 08:01:06 AM »

Afghanistan - 11 Letters
Ramzi Yousef - 11 Letters (convicted or orchestrating the attack at the WTC in 1993)

I'm glad you "lolOl"'ed at the end of that list

Peace and Love,
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2011, 10:25:56 AM »

Afghanistan - 11 Letters

I'm glad you "lolOl"'ed at the end of that list

Peace and Love,

Is that "peace and love" a gay thing??
^_-

*.*

haha...
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print