OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 07:08:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Consecration of Indian Orthodox Church  (Read 657 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesLesser

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian

« on: July 02, 2014, 11:57:57 AM »

I wanted to share a video of the consecration service for the Indian Orthodox Church.

Part 1:   http://youtu.be/dPoeitLNIh0

Part 2:   http://youtu.be/zZHdOUdBfOA

James
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 12:15:52 PM by JamesLesser » Logged
Regnare
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA catechumen

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 08:34:40 PM »

This is the first Indian Orthodox service I've ever seen where the hymns didn't prominently feature synth beats. A beautiful ceremony.

"I give praise to your holy Nature, Lord, for you have made my nature a sanctuary for your hiddenness and a tabernacle for your holy mysteries, a place where you can dwell, and a holy temple for your Divinity." --Venerable St. Isaac of Nineveh
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 09:33:45 PM »

This is the first Indian Orthodox service I've ever seen where the hymns didn't prominently feature synth beats. A beautiful ceremony.

There are more out there.  Hard to believe, I know.  Tongue

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
The Fool

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 09:45:53 PM »

I've been to Indian Orthodox liturgy once. I was the only white guy in the room, I didn't realise it was gender-segregated and had to be asked to move, I couldn't understand anything, and it sounded like Bollywood. It was an unusual experience, to say the least.

"When I hear the words 'Interfaith Dialogue', I reach for my revolver."
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 10:01:04 PM »

I've been to Indian Orthodox liturgy once. I was the only white guy in the room, I didn't realise it was gender-segregated and had to be asked to move, I couldn't understand anything, and it sounded like Bollywood. It was an unusual experience, to say the least.

I feel that way too because I didn't grow up with any of that stuff in my parish. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco Outside of San Francisco

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 10:05:12 PM »

Don't worry, it comes in midway through the first video.

As I dissipate, Christ precipitates.
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 10:25:32 PM »

Don't worry, it comes in midway through the first video.

There's much worse out there.  This video is not bad at all.  I've been in Liturgies which were only missing the spinning platform, fake horses, lights, and mirrors. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
JamesLesser

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 10:36:18 PM »

I had a similar experience when I was searching for Indian Orthodox Services online.  I was very discouraged at finding that the most prominent videos were ones with heavy use of synthesizers.  I really had to search to find hymns that didn't contain any instruments. 

I am truly sorry you did not have a good experience during the liturgy.  I hope you get a chance to visit again where there is less use of "bollywood" style music and someone can help you understand what is happening.

I feel that way too because I didn't grow up with any of that stuff in my parish. 

I really wish that the use of keyboards and other instruments would be banned during the liturgy.  It is so easy to start using but It seems almost impossible to remove.  I find that it is so much more beautiful when done acapella.
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 10:41:47 PM »

I really wish that the use of keyboards and other instruments would be banned during the liturgy.  It is so easy to start using but It seems almost impossible to remove.  I find that it is so much more beautiful when done acapella.

Generally, I agree, although I am willing to make an exception for Indian classical instruments.  I've attended a few services where the choir used those, and it was lovely.  But if you have to plug it into the wall, chances are I hate it. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
The Fool

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 10:42:41 PM »

I am truly sorry you did not have a good experience during the liturgy.  I hope you get a chance to visit again where there is less use of "bollywood" style music and someone can help you understand what is happening.

Oh, it wasn't a bad experience, just an unusual one. Everyone was very nice.

"When I hear the words 'Interfaith Dialogue', I reach for my revolver."
JamesLesser

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2014, 11:01:12 PM »

Generally, I agree, although I am willing to make an exception for Indian classical instruments.  I've attended a few services where the choir used those, and it was lovely.  But if you have to plug it into the wall, chances are I hate it. 

If you have any links to videos or recordings of services using classical instruments, please share.  I would be very interested in listening to them.  I am going to to try searching for them.

Oh, it wasn't a bad experience, just an unusual one. Everyone was very nice.

I am glad to hear it wasn't a bad experience and that the people were nice. 
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
Warned
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2014, 08:31:13 AM »

Amen.

“Nothing is better than to realize one’s weakness and ignorance and nothing is worse than not to be aware of them.” - St. Peter of Damascus
Antonis
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco Outside of San Francisco

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2014, 09:02:33 PM »

The church I will be attending in New York has a very traditional group of Byzantine psalti, they use an artificial ison throughout the service and it actually sounds great. I was very surprised.

As for good Syriac services (and in English!), these are awesome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R-btJYHl3I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWChywFF9eQ

CopticDeacon
Αναγνώστης(Reader) in the God-loving Diocese of New York and New England
High Elder

St Pachom, Antoni, and Stephen Pray for us!

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2014, 09:16:10 PM »

The church I will be attending in New York has a very traditional group of Byzantine psalti, they use an artificial ison throughout the service and it actually sounds great. I was very surprised.

Do you have a video or recording of that?  Smiley

"I see the heavens opened up, and the Son of Man seated at the right hand of God"
-St. Stephen the Archdeacon and Protomartyr
Antonis
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2014, 09:19:20 PM »

Unfortunately I do not, however I may in the future! If you would like to use the ison yourself, you can purchase the app for the iPad for relatively cheap. I believe the name of the app is "World Scales" or something similar. The isons sound like a group of men doing it, very realistic.

CopticDeacon
Αναγνώστης(Reader) in the God-loving Diocese of New York and New England
High Elder

St Pachom, Antoni, and Stephen Pray for us!

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2014, 09:21:43 PM »

Unfortunately I do not, however I may in the future! If you would like to use the ison yourself, you can purchase the app for the iPad for relatively cheap. I believe the name of the app is "World Scales" or something similar. The isons sound like a group of men doing it, very realistic.

I only have an ipod nano I don't really use since I got my Galaxy S4. I'll take your word for it though. Don't think I'll forget about that recording!  Wink  Grin

"I see the heavens opened up, and the Son of Man seated at the right hand of God"
-St. Stephen the Archdeacon and Protomartyr
Antonis
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2014, 09:27:07 PM »

I only have an ipod nano I don't really use since I got my Galaxy S4. I'll take your word for it though. Don't think I'll forget about that recording!  Wink  Grin
I know of someone who may personally have a recording. I will inquire and get back to you--don't let me forget!  Grin

Tags: consecration 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: