OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 02:40:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: some problems about my inquiry  (Read 480 times) Average Rating: 0
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« on: July 03, 2011, 06:07:04 PM »

Hello everyone,
There is not much time before it will be exactly one year since I attended liturgy for the first time. It was an unforgettable event. I have in some time been thinking about my journey into the orthodox faith and I am stumbled into some problems. First and foremost I have now attended liturgy as often as possible (i have very bad transportation possibilities, but I will get into that later) and I must with much sadness say that I until this point can't say that I have not had a real conversation with the priest. He is very busy and of course have a lot of things to do but I would really wish that I could get to talk with him. The problem is that everytime I have attended liturgy I end up sitting at the other end of the table. I have considred just writing to him but i really don't know what to tell him.

My second problem is isolation.
I wasn't able to get a picture of Denmark but if you can try finding one yourself it willall be very clear. I life near the western coast of the Jutland peninsula and the parish I attend is placed just outside of Copenhagen. One time at the month they travel to the city of Århus in nothern Jutland and if I am lucky I can get my dad to drive me(I don't have a drivers license and will never get one because of myopia). Except the people at the parish I don't know any orthodox christians personally. Orthodox christians are a very small minority and you have to live in the bigger cities if you want to find anybody. Up until now the only way I can talk to other orthodox christians is by writing emails to one of our deacons who is a friend of mine or writing with you guys. I have some books on orthodox theology but I am about to get really bored of studying orthodoxy all by myself. I love orthodoxy but it is getting really hard when I don't have anyone to guide me.

I hope this was not to much at one time but I would like to know if some of you might have some sort of advice?

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 06:11:23 PM »

I have considred just writing to him but i really don't know what to tell him.
You could tell him what you just told us. I'm sure he'll understand your difficulties.  Smiley
TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 06:26:30 PM »

Ansgar, how old are you? What about public transit (train, bus)?

Also, do you know about Ancient Faith Radio?

http://ancientfaith.com/

There are two "stations" - talk and music. There are also many podcasts you can listen to online or download the mp3 audio file to your computer for later listening or to put on an mp3 player (such as an iPod).

All podcasts are in English.

I have heard from many people online who are not close to an Orthodox parish and AFR helps keep them connected in between times when they can visit church for Liturgy.
Ansgar
Archon

Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 06:49:44 PM »

There are two "stations" - talk and music. There are also many podcasts you can listen to online or download the mp3 audio file to your computer for later listening or to put on an mp3 player (such as an iPod).

I have heard from many people online who are not close to an Orthodox parish and AFR helps keep them connected in between times when they can visit church for Liturgy.
[/qu

I am 17.

Ancient faith radio have also been one of my favorite places when I have been looking for advice.Their potcasts are very great and easy to understand Smiley But i think my problem is that I need somebody to talk to. This is why I love this place. Here I can write with orthodox christians from all over the world. But then again it would be nice if I had somebody lving near me but I guess I ahve to wait until I can move to Copenhagen Undecided

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 07:10:34 PM »

[/qu

I am 17.

Ancient faith radio have also been one of my favorite places when I have been looking for advice.Their potcasts are very great and easy to understand Smiley But i think my problem is that I need somebody to talk to. This is why I love this place. Here I can write with orthodox christians from all over the world. But then again it would be nice if I had somebody lving near me but I guess I ahve to wait until I can move to Copenhagen Undecided

What town are you in?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 07:26:17 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 10:21:21 PM »

He is very busy and of course have a lot of things to do but I would really wish that I could get to talk with him. The problem is that everytime I have attended liturgy I end up sitting at the other end of the table. I have considred just writing to him but i really don't know what to tell him.
Email or write him and tell him you've been interested in Orthodoxy for a while. Tell him you'd like to become a catechumen if that's what you want, or simply ask him what you think the best course of action is for someone in your circumstances. That's what I wrote to my priest when I first wanted to meet him, and he's been helpful in guiding my inquiry.

Don't expect the door to open by itself - you need to knock first.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 05:54:39 AM »

[/qu

I am 17.

What town are you in?
A very very small village. The problem is that almost all orthodox christians in Jutland are living in the northern part of the peninsula.

-St Silouan the athonite
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: