OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 08:02:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 12th All Diaspora Russian Youth Conference Opens in Paris July 1  (Read 489 times) Average Rating: 0
SubdeaconDavid
"...the spread of the light of Orthodoxy among the peoples of all the lands where our Church exists continues as an inseparable part of our mission": Metropolitan Hilarion, First Hierarch of ROCOR
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church Abroad (ROCOR)

Помилуй мя Боже, по велицей милости Твоей

« on: July 02, 2011, 07:49:27 AM »

The 12th All Diaspora Russian Youth Conference was opened in Paris by His Grace Bishop Theodosius of Seattle, representative of His Eminence Metropolitan Hilarion, First Hierarch of the Russian Church Abroad.  Primatial blessings were sent by His Holiness Patriarch Kirill, and clergy and youth of the Russian Exarchate ('Paris jurisdiction') attended the opening ceremony alongside their ageing (and only serving) bishop, Archbishop Gabriel of Koman.  To see photos of the opening, including the wonderous Kursk Mother of God, patron of the diaspora, and to read the First Hierarch's address, please see:
http://www.russianorthodoxchurch.ws/synod/eng2011/20110701_envzsmhopening.html

Perhaps the participation of the Russian Exarchate heralds a new dawn of unity for the Russian Church in Western Europe.  With a new cathedral being built and new seminary, set to house students from all over western Europe and beyond, this is indeed a great opportunity for the Exarchate.

Visit my blog@  http://orthodoxtasmania.blogspot.com

To the Russians abroad it has been granted to shine in the whole world  the light of Orthodoxy, so that other peoples, seeing their good deeds, might glorify our Father in Heaven, and thus obtain salvation
S John of Shanghai & San Francisco
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 09:09:17 AM »

The 12th All Diaspora Russian Youth Conference was opened in Paris by His Grace Bishop Theodosius of Seattle, representative of His Eminence Metropolitan Hilarion, First Hierarch of the Russian Church Abroad.  Primatial blessings were sent by His Holiness Patriarch Kirill, and clergy and youth of the Russian Exarchate ('Paris jurisdiction') attended the opening ceremony alongside their ageing (and only serving) bishop, Archbishop Gabriel of Koman.  To see photos of the opening, including the wonderous Kursk Mother of God, patron of the diaspora, and to read the First Hierarch's address, please see:

Perhaps the participation of the Russian Exarchate heralds a new dawn of unity for the Russian Church in Western Europe.  With a new cathedral being built and new seminary, set to house students from all over western Europe and beyond, this is indeed a great opportunity for the Exarchate.
It is, although I don't see unity of the Russian diaspora happening outside Panorthodox unity in Western Europe.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
SubdeaconDavid
"...the spread of the light of Orthodoxy among the peoples of all the lands where our Church exists continues as an inseparable part of our mission": Metropolitan Hilarion, First Hierarch of ROCOR
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 09:14:40 AM »

It is, although I don't see unity of the Russian diaspora happening outside Panorthodox unity in Western Europe.
Well pan-Orthodox unity is of course the desire of all.  Now that the Russian Church Abroad is under the omophorion of His Holiness Patriarch Kirill, I for one hope that the Paris Exarchate returns to the fold of the Mother Russian Church - whether via the Church Abroad or direct to the Patriarchate.  This could be a significant step towards the unity of all Orthodox in Western Europe and the diaspora.

To the Russians abroad it has been granted to shine in the whole world  the light of Orthodoxy, so that other peoples, seeing their good deeds, might glorify our Father in Heaven, and thus obtain salvation
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 11:19:28 AM »

With a new cathedral being built and new seminary, set to house students from all over western Europe and beyond, this is indeed a great opportunity for the Exarchate.

The Exarchate already has a Seminary.

Funnily there are two separate Russian Seminaries in Paris.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 11:35:52 AM »

Well pan-Orthodox unity is of course the desire of all.  Now that the Russian Church Abroad is under the omophorion of His Holiness Patriarch Kirill, I for one hope that the Paris Exarchate returns to the fold of the Mother Russian Church - whether via the Church Abroad or direct to the Patriarchate.  This could be a significant step towards the unity of all Orthodox in Western Europe and the diaspora.
Won't happend: there is a difference between those in France (and elsewhere for that matter) between those who support the idea of the extension of the Patriarchate of Moscow and those who support the localization of the Church.  As long as the Phanar doesn't become too overbearing and lets its non-Greek ghettos to their own divices, it will provide the vehicle of the latter, while the former will serve as the vehicle of Moscow, feeding on and contributing to the New Rome-Third Rome rivalry.

It's going to be interesting to see how this parallel jurisdictions-a world wide ROCOR, a Church by definition outside its jurisdiction, and direct Russian Dioceses like Sorouzh (i.e. Great Britain), Komoun (i.e. France), Canada and the US (i.e. the Patriarchal parishes)-is going to work out.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 12:11:48 PM »

Won't happend: there is a difference between those in France (and elsewhere for that matter) between those who support the idea of the extension of the Patriarchate of Moscow and those who support the localization of the Church.  As long as the Phanar doesn't become too overbearing and lets its non-Greek ghettos to their own divices, it will provide the vehicle of the latter, while the former will serve as the vehicle of Moscow, feeding on and contributing to the New Rome-Third Rome rivalry.

It's going to be interesting to see how this parallel jurisdictions-a world wide ROCOR, a Church by definition outside its jurisdiction, and direct Russian Dioceses like Sorouzh (i.e. Great Britain), Komoun (i.e. France), Canada and the US (i.e. the Patriarchal parishes)-is going to work out.

Don't you think they'll continue to get along just fine, on the shared idea of the Russian nation? I see far more discussion of that from official sources than anything related to the "Third Rome" (although ever since the Eurasianist period of Russian thought, I suppose the idea of the "Russian nation" comes with aspirations far greater than any mere ecclesiastical Third Rome, so maybe one does quite well without invoking the "Third Rome" directly).

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 12:38:03 PM »

Don't you think they'll continue to get along just fine, on the shared idea of the Russian nation?
ROCOR and the MP abroad?  Sure, they'll have the Phanar's Russians to keep them together.

I see far more discussion of that from official sources than anything related to the "Third Rome" (although ever since the Eurasianist period of Russian thought, I suppose the idea of the "Russian nation" comes with aspirations far greater than any mere ecclesiastical Third Rome, so maybe one does quite well without invoking the "Third Rome" directly).
Russian nation, Third Rome, same thing.

Patriarch Kirill was at Klimovo (near the Russian-Ukrainian-Belorus border) at the International Slavic Unity Festival, talking about the three staying together in the Patriarchate. That may be fine in Belarus, but will come to a head in Ukraine.  Then there is the non-Slavic parts in the "near-abroad."

SubdeaconDavid
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 01:06:00 PM »

You may be surprised about the future of the Rue Daru Exarchate.  An editorial in Orthodox England notes:
The Russian Orthodox Church is already taking back its Church properties in France. It is now only a question of time before the small and weak Patriarchate of Constantinople, ever more politically dependent on Moscow for support against Turkey, releases the Rue Daru group from its jurisdiction. Then it will send it back (together with other Orthodox parishes poached into its jurisdiction, as in Estonia) to the Russian Church.
http://www.orthodoxengland.org.uk/reconf.htm

With only one non-retired bishop, the Archbishop Gabriel, one small monastery and no apparent enthusiasm of the Ecumenical Patriarchate to see new episcopal life breathed into the ailing Exarchate, would reunion with the Mother Church - now that the reasons for separation have ended, as ROCOR recognised in 2005-2006 be so bad? 

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 01:39:31 PM »

You may be surprised about the future of the Rue Daru Exarchate.  An editorial in Orthodox England notes:
The Russian Orthodox Church is already taking back its Church properties in France. It is now only a question of time before the small and weak Patriarchate of Constantinople, ever more politically dependent on Moscow for support against Turkey, releases the Rue Daru group from its jurisdiction. Then it will send it back (together with other Orthodox parishes poached into its jurisdiction, as in Estonia) to the Russian Church.
He's dreaming.  He's entitled to dream, but that is what he is doing. The reference to Estonia underlines that.

The Phanar has struck a deal with local interests independent of it.  In Estonia, the state and the nation as a whole have decided they have vested interest in keeping Moscow out, whether the President or Patriarch of Russia.  Ironically, when that happened, the Patriarch of Moscow at the time was eligible for Estonian citizenship (a third of Estonian residents at the time were not). If the Phanar released them, they wouldn't come running to Russia.  And Estonia, with the highest GNP of the foremer Soviet states, NATO and EU membership, won't make them.
With only one non-retired bishop, the Archbishop Gabriel, one small monastery and no apparent enthusiasm of the Ecumenical Patriarchate to see new episcopal life breathed into the ailing Exarchate, would reunion with the Mother Church - now that the reasons for separation have ended, as ROCOR recognised in 2005-2006 be so bad? 
The fact that they took this to court means they answer that in the affirmative.

SubdeaconDavid
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 09:14:28 PM »

He's dreaming.  He's entitled to dream, but that is what he is doing. The reference to Estonia underlines that.

The Phanar has struck a deal with local interests independent of it.  In Estonia, the state and the nation as a whole have decided they have vested interest in keeping Moscow out, whether the President or Patriarch of Russia.  Ironically, when that happened, the Patriarch of Moscow at the time was eligible for Estonian citizenship (a third of Estonian residents at the time were not). If the Phanar released them, they wouldn't come running to Russia.  And Estonia, with the highest GNP of the foremer Soviet states, NATO and EU membership, won't make them.
The fact that they took this to court means they answer that in the affirmative.
The Phanar had no right to intrude in Estonia in the affairs of the Russian Orthodox Church.  Arguably the Russian Church with 15,000 Russian Orthodox resident in Turkey has more rights there than the EP with approximately 800 souls.  The EP should be more worried about persecution of Christians, bulldozing of closed churches, religious and cultural genocide - and maybe even getting the 'right' for priests to wear a cassock in the street, than trying to grow by taking from the Russian Church.  The same goes for the Rue Daru exarchate which should have returned to the Russian Church with ROCOR following the end of communism. 

And what do we hear from the Phanar?  Appeals for Turkey to be admitted to the EU, despite discrimination against Christian believers possibly worse than that of the Soviet State in the post Stalin years. The Ecumenical Patriarchate needs to focus on the Gospel and preaching it at home in the former Ottoman Empire, not trying to bring the Russian diaspora and the Russian faithful under the Phanar.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: