OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 30, 2014, 10:33:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: In Kosovo, whole families return to Catholic faith  (Read 633 times) Average Rating: 0
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« on: July 02, 2011, 02:46:56 AM »

http://www.catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/0900620.htm

KOSOVO-CATHOLICS Feb-9-2009 (890 words) xxxi

In Kosovo, whole families return to Catholic faith

By Victor Gaetan
Catholic News Service

PRISTINA, Kosovo (CNS) -- Although armed conflict in Kosovo ended nearly a decade ago, the capital city still feels like a place hit recently by war or natural disaster. Electricity goes out often, water is strictly rationed, U.N. jeeps are ubiquitous and people look harried.

Along the main road leading to Pristina, every other lot is full of old cars, stolen from other European countries and picked clean or abandoned by families who fled the war.

But during Sunday Masses at the Church of St. Anthony of Padua, an active Catholic community packs the pews. There are families and old people, a full-voiced choir, eight young altar servers and long lines to receive the Eucharist...

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 04:26:58 AM »

http://www.catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/0900620.htm

KOSOVO-CATHOLICS Feb-9-2009 (890 words) xxxi

By Victor Gaetan
Catholic News Service

PRISTINA, Kosovo (CNS) -- Although armed conflict in Kosovo ended nearly a decade ago, the capital city still feels like a place hit recently by war or natural disaster. Electricity goes out often, water is strictly rationed, U.N. jeeps are ubiquitous and people look harried.

Along the main road leading to Pristina, every other lot is full of old cars, stolen from other European countries and picked clean or abandoned by families who fled the war.

But during Sunday Masses at the Church of St. Anthony of Padua, an active Catholic community packs the pews. There are families and old people, a full-voiced choir, eight young altar servers and long lines to receive the Eucharist...
Reading the article, I was thinking that it's too bad that R. Catholics and E. Orthodox don't get along in the region. But it is not true in general is it?
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 08:53:32 AM »

"Our relations with the Islamic community are better than with the nationalistic Orthodox church," he said, noting that the Catholic Church hopes to play a mediating role between Muslims and Orthodox.

Not going to happen, in particular because of the Vatican's nationalistic Croatian church.

"My father is Muslim and his parents, going back, maintain a combination of Muslim and Christian practices. They are known as 'crypto-Catholics' because, although the men go to the mosque on Fridays, the family follows Christian principles at home. Children are baptized at home. Sunday is considered holy. My paternal grandparents lit candles for Christian holy days," said St. Anthony's parishioner Mihane Nartile Salihu.

"In the morning, my father and his family say prayers in Arabic, but at night, they say the Our Father and Hail Mary in Albanian," Salihu said. "Like Christians, the whole family eats together ... while in strict Muslim homes, men and women eat separately."

"This double identity developed under Ottoman rule because as a Christian you suffered ostracism and higher taxes, but calling yourself a Muslim had a lot of advantages, so many people declared themselves to tax collectors as Muslims but kept Catholic tradition at home," she said.
The "crypto-Catholics" continued throughout the period of Albanian autonomy in Communist Yugoslavia.  The Albanians became the dominant population in Kosovo only in the 19th century.  The Serb population became to dwindle when the Great Serb Migration started in 1690, witht the Serbs, who had just revolted from the Ottomans, retreating with the Austrians back to Habsburg lands (the Krajina, Hungary, etc.).

Odd that they would pray in Albanian, as the Vatican until the 1960s prayed in Latin.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 09:21:07 AM »

Odd that they would pray in Albanian, as the Vatican until the 1960s prayed in Latin.

I grew up in the 1950's praying in English...doh!

Also that habit of observing both Muslim and Catholic religious practices happens in many other places besides Kosovo.  I found it in Africa when I was there some decades ago.  Very interesting to watch.

M.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 12:02:27 AM »

Reading the article, I was thinking that it's too bad that R. Catholics and E. Orthodox don't get along in the region.

That's for sure:

"Our relations with the Islamic community are better than with the nationalistic Orthodox church," he said, noting that the Catholic Church hopes to play a mediating role between Muslims and Orthodox.

On the other hand, I have heard many times (usually through the internet) Catholics claim that Catholics and Orthodox are really the same or are on the verge of union.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Wyatt
Archon

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 01:04:16 AM »

Praise to you, Lord Jesus Christ!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: