OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 02:28:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jesus tempted by Satan: How would Miaphysites see this?  (Read 2935 times) Average Rating: 0
ilyazhito
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« on: July 01, 2011, 07:12:12 PM »

In Matthew 4, Satan tempts Jesus to turn stones to bread, to alleviate Jesus' hunger. Satan knows that Jesus is both human (He can feel hunger), and God (He can work miracles).
A Nestorian would see Satan tempting the human and divine Jesus separately, since they are two separate persons.
Chalcedonians would see this incident as proof that Jesus has both human and divine nature in one person.
How would moderate and extreme Miaphysites see this incident?
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 07:17:35 PM »

In Matthew 4, Satan tempts Jesus to turn stones to bread, to alleviate Jesus' hunger. Satan knows that Jesus is both human (He can feel hunger), and God (He can work miracles).
A Nestorian would see Satan tempting the human and divine Jesus separately, since they are two separate persons.
Chalcedonians would see this incident as proof that Jesus has both human and divine nature in one person.
How would moderate and extreme Miaphysites see this incident?
Moderate and extreme Miaphysite? What's that? I don't think that there is such a thing as Moderate and Extreme Chalcedonians.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ilyazhito
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 07:23:59 PM »

Moderate: Those who believe that human and divine are united (difference in wording)
Extreme: Eutychians
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 07:50:14 PM »

I can't speak for the Eutychians since I don't know any and they have nothing to do with my Church.

The Oriental Orthodox would look upon the temptation of Christ as satan tempting the Incarnate Word of God.

If you are trying to understand how we see the issue in terms of Christ's will, you may want to look at this thread:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,25645.0.html

Gisasargavak

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Church - Holy See of Echmiadzin

Առէ'ք, Կերէ'ք այս է մարմին իմ:

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 02:37:01 AM »

Moderate: Those who believe that human and divine are united (difference in wording)
Extreme: Eutychians

They are anathematized according to the Oriental Orthodox as far as I know, so it's not an extreme "miaphysite" position, rather a heretical one.
Wyatt
Archon

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 05:08:48 PM »

Aren't Eutychians, who are not the Oriental Orthodox, the only true monophysites?
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 06:07:06 PM »

I think Apollonarians are also called Monophysites.   

copticyouth93

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 02:06:37 AM »

Actually, I was always taught that Satan was unsure of Christ's divinity. He did not ever consider the fact that God could actually appear with such humility. Hence, Our Lord defeated Satan through the virtue of humility, the one virtue that he (satan) lacked while he was an archangel. He fell into the sin of pride as an archangel, ultimately leading to his fall from the heavens. Consider this: If Satan did really know that Christ was the Incarnate Word of God, then why would he ever possess Judas, and lead him to betraying Our Savior? If this was the case, we would say that Satan defeated himself, and not that Our Savior defeated him by his humility and death on the holy wood of the cross.

Same idea applies to the temptation of Christ. Had Satan indeed been sure of the Divinity of Christ, he would never have bothered to tempt him. The devil knows quite well that God is without sin, and this can never change. He tempted Christ while baffled, unsure of whether he was a prophet, or was he indeed the Logos of God.
ilyazhito
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 11:10:21 PM »

Satan may have known, but as God, Jesus was able to resist temptation.
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 04:50:40 PM »

It was as incarnate that Christ resisted the temptation. Indeed it was necessary that one who was fully man resist the temptation, just as a man gave way to temptation.

Christ did not resist temptation in His Divine power, indeed God cannot be tempted at all. He resisted temptation as the incarnate Word of God, that is as man.

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
dhinuus
Elder

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 05:31:41 PM »

Christ did not resist temptation in His Divine power, indeed God cannot be tempted at all. He resisted temptation as the incarnate Word of God, that is as man.

Amen.

NULL
Tags: Christology Christ and sin 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: