OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 01:42:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this a baptismal Cross?  (Read 421 times) Average Rating: 0
zekarja
High Elder

O Holy Prophet Zechariah, intercede to God for us!

« on: July 01, 2011, 02:32:16 PM »

My baptismal Cross was never blessed. I purchased and brought a Cross to my baptism. My priest dipped it in baptism water and put it on me. Is this still a baptismal Cross? Do I need to get it blessed in order for it to be my baptismal Cross? Huh

in IC XC,
zekarja

TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 02:40:52 PM »

My baptismal Cross was never blessed. I purchased and brought a Cross to my baptism. My priest dipped it in baptism water and put it on me. Is this still a baptismal Cross? Do I need to get it blessed in order for it to be my baptismal Cross? Huh

in IC XC,
zekarja

That counts as your baptismal Cross then! I see the Cross the godparents bring dipped into the water to bless it and then it's put on the newly baptized. Are you saying you have two Crosses or just one?

Crosses not blessed during a baptism are sprinkled with holy water (at least how my priest does it), so if one is dipped in the baptismal water, it is most certainly blessed!
zekarja
High Elder

O Holy Prophet Zechariah, intercede to God for us!

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 03:13:22 PM »

Thanks for the reply. I saw a baptism at an OCA parish where the priest blessed the Cross before the baptism and afterwards dip it into baptismal water. Mine wasn't blessed before the service. Smiley

Tags: baptism Holy Cross 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: