Author Topic: Please pray - Mountain lions and bobcats have been frequenting our backyard.  (Read 1861 times)

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
Please pray for us. Wildlife control officers said that we are the intruders (our home has been in the foothills since 1960).
However, the Station Fire in the La Crescenta Valley in 2009 has driven much of the wildlife from the mountains into the rural foothills where we live.

So, we are trying to maintain our property but clearing the brush is difficult especially when we see red foxes, coyotes, mountain lion scats, and bobcat paws on our property. And then there is the occasional bear scat that we have found loaded with berries

Last night, there was a big bobcat fight. At least two bobcats were involved. Their hissing and growling woke us up at 3 AM. We cannot even get a peaceful night's sleep. This morning we verified the bobcat paws and some bobcat scat which my husband stepped in. Thankfully, it does not smell like those of domesticated cats and dogs. It just has a wild smell that is not too unpleasant.

So, we would cherish any prayers for our safety as we try to maintain our property and cut away the brush that has accumulated since we have had all these rains here.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 05:48:41 PM by Maria »
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline tuesdayschild

• OC.net guru
Lord have mercy.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
Lord have mercy.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline Byron

• High Elder
Please pray for us. Wildlife control officers said that we are the intruders (our home has been in the foothills since 1960).
However, the Station Fire in the La Crescenta Valley in 2009 has driven much of the wildlife from the mountains into the rural foothills where we live.

So, we are trying to maintain our property but clearing the brush is difficult especially when we see red foxes, coyotes, mountain lion scats, and bobcat paws on our property. And then there is the occasional bear scat that we have found loaded with berries

Last night, there was a big bobcat fight. At least two bobcats were involved. Their hissing and growling woke us up at 3 AM. We cannot even get a peaceful night's sleep. This morning we verified the bobcat paws and some bobcat scat which my husband stepped in. Thankfully, it does not smell like those of domesticated cats and dogs. It just has a wild smell that is not too unpleasant.

So, we would cherish any prayers for our safety as we try to maintain our property and cut away the brush that has accumulated since we have had all these rains here.

If you don't mind me asking have you ever seen a mountain lion on or near your property? Does your property back onto wilderness?

From what i read mountain lions are very solitary shy animals but have been known to occassionaly attack. It must be unsettling working outside and knowing they may be nearby. But they are magnificent animals imo.
I. Metaxas - 4th of August Regime

"Country, Loyalty, Family and Religion".

Nationalism, Monarchy, Family and Orthodoxy.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
Lord have Mercy.

Offline Maria

• Toumarches

If you don't mind me asking have you ever seen a mountain lion on or near your property? Does your property back onto wilderness?

From what i read mountain lions are very solitary shy animals but have been known to occassionaly attack. It must be unsettling working outside and knowing they may be nearby. But they are magnificent animals imo.

We are only one block from the Angeles Forest.

Please keep praying. Early this morning, we were awakened at 3 AM when two bobcats were fighting. Tonight we heard a wild cat once again. We heard him walking among the silver berry trees, leaves crunching as he walked, and then we heard him scratching. That was enough. We went inside loudly and calmly praying the Jesus Prayer and carrying our gardening tools.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 01:58:33 AM by Maria »
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline orthonorm

• BANNED for rules violations
  • Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
  • Faith: DSM 5
  • Jurisdiction: Apostle to the Church of ASD
Lord have mercy! Truly sounds exhausting and anxiety provoking.

Offline copticyouth93

Do not fear. Perhaps through this, you can gain an appreciation for the early fathers who forsook the world and lived among such beasts, with nothing protecting them except God's hand. Keep doing what you are doing; pray whenever you become afraid. Personally, Psalm 90 calms me whenever I am in a terrifying situation (He who walks in the shadow of the most high shall rest under the shelter of the God of heaven etc..). God be with you

Offline Jo2444

Lord have mercy! That sounds scary...

Offline IsmiLiora

• Chronic Exaggerator
  • Archon
  • Back by unpopular demand.
Lord have mercy!
She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
Lord have mercy!  We have mountain lions in IL, and we don't even have mountains.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline celticfan1888

• Production Operator - Chemtrusion
  • Archon

You have my prayers mate.

Any children or anything running around? That would freak me out.
Forgive my sins.

Offline wayseer

• Disciple
  • - a student

Have you heard possums fighting on a tin roof - now that is scary.

Sorry - my prayers are with you.  
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 05:28:14 AM by wayseer »
Not all those who wander are lost.

Offline Fabio Leite

• Protokentarchos
    • Vida Ortodoxa

Please keep praying. Early this morning, we were awakened at 3 AM when two bobcats were fighting. Tonight we heard a wild cat once again. We heard him walking among the silver berry trees, leaves crunching as he walked, and then we heard him scratching. That was enough. We went inside loudly and calmly praying the Jesus Prayer and carrying our gardening tools.

Lord have mercy.

Would it be too expensive to wall the property? Sure they can jump high, but maybe 3 meters high with a non-lethal electric fence over it will be enough. They would try to jump, get a soft shock and not come back.

A less expensive (and painful for the animals) measure could be installing motion activated sprinklers with cold water. The jet of water will have to be strong enough to be annoying to them.
Many Energies, 3 Persons, 2 Natures, 1 God, 1 Church, 1 Baptism, and 1 Cup. The Son begotten only from the Father, the Spirit proceeding only from the Father, Each glorifying the Other. The Son sends the Spirit, the Spirit Reveals the Son, the Father is seen in the Son. The Spirit spoke through the Prophets and Fathers and does so even today.

Offline Maria

• Toumarches

Lord have mercy.

Would it be too expensive to wall the property? Sure they can jump high, but maybe 3 meters high with a non-lethal electric fence over it will be enough. They would try to jump, get a soft shock and not come back.

A less expensive (and painful for the animals) measure could be installing motion activated sprinklers with cold water. The jet of water will have to be strong enough to be annoying to them.

LOL

Reminds me of the movie: My Big Fat Greek Wedding when the yiayia from Turkey gets blasted with the sprinklers when she leaves the house.

In the meantime, we are praying the Jesus Prayer out loud while outside during the day or night.
It is teaching us to pray unceasingly. My husband does not like to pray outside as he does not want to offend the neighbors, but our prayers are not that loud, and I do think it is helping God's creatures to keep their distance and respect us.

Please keep praying, as we need to severely limit our hours outside. The animals roam during the cool mornings and evenings when we would really like to do our gardening. So, we are limited to the late mornings and early afternoons when it is too hot. For example on Saturday, we could only work from 7:00 to 8:30 PM, then we heard the creature clawing the dirt. Yesterday evening, we also heard the critters at 8:45 PM. Today, I almost fainted due to dehydration as the weather is in the mid 90s and is approaching 100 degrees.

Thank for you prayers. We really appreciate this.

In Christ,
Maria

p.s. Now comes the task of removing any hiding spots (clearing at least 3 feet from the ground up on our silver berry hedges) to discourage the big animals from frequenting our property. The red fox, coyotes, bobcats and mountain linos really like the protection of those hedges. And the squirrels like to build huge nests in them.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
Hi Maria, I don't know if you've seen it in the online news but there were firefighters in Russia who put up icons of the Theotokos in many places, during a recent outbreak of fires there. I think the battle against the fires has improved. So keep praying.  :) :angel:
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 07:46:26 PM by biro »
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline dcommini

• Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
  • OC.net guru
  • Beannachd Dia dhuit
    • Life of an Orthodox Soldier
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
Lord have mercy. I would say that since it is the 4th you could shoot off some fire works tonight and try to scare off the wild life, but since you mentioned a fire brought the animals your way that probably would not be a good idea. I will pray for your continued safety.
OblSB

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slĂ inte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...