Author Topic: Embryonic Stem Cell research  (Read 1272 times)

Offline Ben

• Unabashedly Pro-Life
  • OC.net guru
Embryonic Stem Cell research
« on: June 25, 2004, 04:39:59 AM »
With Embryonic Stem Cell research all over the news these days I had a few questions, and was wondering what you all think. I am not interested in the political aspect of this issue, but rather the ethical issues involved in embryonic stem cell research.

Ok, from my point of view there is no question that we are dealing with human beings here, not "potential-humans" or mere embryos, but human beings who have a right to life, just as I and you all do.

However, this issue isn't like the rest on abortion issues, and other controversial issues dealing with pregnancy. I open up Newsweek and I see that Pro-life Rep. Duke Cunningham (CA) is pro-stem cell research, as is Ultra Pro-Life Sen. Orrin Hatch (UT). Whats the deal? Why are these elected officials and so many other Pro-life people coming out in support of embryonic stem cell research?

The answer may be found in why Pro-Life Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, a former Reagan speechwriter, changer his position on stem cells.

CLINICS ACROSS THE COUNTRY THROW AWAY TONS AND TONS OF EMBRYONIC STEM CELLS EVERY DAY!

Believe me, I am in no way dening that these embryos are human beings, and that a embryo is merely a stage of a human, like adolesence, but if they are just being thrown away, why can't we use them to help others?

I also understand that it has not yet been proven that embryonic stem cells can save lives, but there is a lot of promise in such research, and its not like we're trying to presue something that is totally hopeless.

There is a wealth of evidence that embryonic stem cells can be used to help others, and even save lives. But I admit that that doesn't change the fact that we are dealing with human beings. But I am truly concerned about all of these embryonic stem cells that are thrown away every day across the the nation.

My question is, why can't we use these embryonic stem cells, which would be normally thrown away, for research in understanding the human body and for possibly saving millions and millions and lives, where adult stem cells can be of no help?

I am honeslty torn here, because though I am totally Pro-Life, I do see the logic in using these embryonic stem cells, which would just be thrown away, for research to possibly help others, and evidentally many staunchly pro-life elected officals also see such logic.

Anyway, seriously and sincerely wondering what you all think....
"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint

Offline Augustine

• High Elder
  • pray for me, please
    • Beyond Nihilism
Re:Embryonic Stem Cell research
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2004, 08:47:52 AM »
Morally, I think the problem here is the same involved with profiting/benefiting from crime.  Obviously one can shrug their shoulders and say "well, it's not like my not trying to get some benefit from all of this is going to stop (insert crime here)" - but by choosing to benefit from this, one is becoming a beneficiary of murder, and thus a participant.

This is beside some other related issues - such as the fact that abortion clinics do not give these little corpses away, but when they can, make money from the sale of these bodies to the research facilities who want to utilize them as specimens.  In other words, the whole process is making abortion even more lucrative for it's providers.

Offline Brendan03

• High Elder
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2004, 08:58:35 AM »
Augustine's criticisms are valid, it seems to me.  In addition, there is the real spectre of this becoming an industry in its own right ... labs pay good money for lab animals and such, and its possible that they would start to pay good money for embryonic stem cells, and therefore its possible that an industry could emerge whose sole raison d'etre would be making money from the stem cells of aborted babies, and of course all of that is very evil.  For example, in countries (eg India) where it is not uncommon for female babies to be aborted following discovery of the gender in an ultrasound, it is certainly not unthinkable that a substantial industry could emerge around the traffricking in these, and that is simply, well, disgusting.

It's unfortunate that the technology of stem cell research offers such tempting benefits.  But it seems to me that we mustn't forget that we are talking about parts of the bodies of aborted babies being sold and used in labs, and that is pretty chilling to me at least.

In the law we have an evidentiary suppression rule known as the "fruit of the poisonous tree" doctrine.  It basically means that if there is an unconstitutional search or seizure, not only is the evidence that was directly yielded by that search thrown out, but also all other evidence to which the police were led as a result of the evidence they directly found in the search ... it all gets thrown out, because if there hadn't been an illegal search in the first place, they never would have found the other evidence down the road.  I think a similar reasoning applies to embryonic stem cell research, it is the fruit of the poisonous tree and should be considered immoral and (in my opinion) illegal.
B

Offline Ben

• Unabashedly Pro-Life
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2004, 04:44:09 PM »
From what I have read, many are asking that those embryos in in vitro fertilization clinics, who are just sitting there and will just be thrown away, be used for research. Those pro-life elected officals and individuals wish to use those, rather than the embryo's who were aborted. My question is since the embryos will be thrown away anyway, both those from abortion and in vitro fertilization, why can't we make the best of situation and use them to help others?

Honestly wondering.....
"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint