OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 02:46:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Conversion  (Read 432 times) Average Rating: 0
James90

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Constantinople (Deanery of Great Britain and Ireland)

Sanctus Deus, Sanctus Fortis, Sanctus Immortális,

« on: June 30, 2011, 10:41:24 AM »

Hi, I am new to this so I just want to say hello to everyone.

I really would like some help on the issue of conversion. I am an Anglican and as much as I love the Anglican community I feel drawn to Orthodoxy. Before I was baptised and confirmed an Anglican I very nearly began the RCIA to become a Roman Catholic, however due to doctrinal issues it felt wrong of me to join the Roman Catholic Church when I didn't agree with things like papal infallibility etc. Before I became an Anglican I didn't really know much about Orthodoxy, it was only by chance a few months ago that I came across a video about Orthodoxy which made me interested in finding out more. In the end I started to attend an Eastern Orthodox church just round the corner from my house and experiencing the services made me fall in love with Orthodoxy.

I have been going for a while now though I moved away from the area about two weeks ago and its too far to go back. Before I left though I approached the deacon of the parish about conversion and he recommended reading about the theology of the Church and the Church Fathers. I began to read and I am still reading about theology and I have read teachings of the desert Fathers. So far the theology is amazing and I am agreeing with everything. I have also bought a book of Orthodox prayers and I am trying to do them as much as I can. At the moment I haven't been able to attend an Orthodox church near where I live. I managed to find one but its too far away for me to walk (I have no car) and a lot of people I know who I have mentioned my wish for conversion have either told me that I should become Roman Catholic instead or they wish for me to stay an Anglican.

What I really wanted to know is what the conversion process is like. I also wanted to know what the differences between the Eastern Orthodox and the Oriental orthodox was. From what I have read the main difference is in the acceptance of the council of Chalcedon and the subsequent Ecumenical councils.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 10:58:16 AM »

The conversion process is different for each person, in many ways, but basically it involves a period of study and growing conviction, a relationship with a priest and parish, being made a catechumen, receiving instruction in catechesis, and, in one's own soul, patience, repentance, and humility.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 12:46:58 PM »

Dear James:

Welcome to the Orthodox Church. In my experience, those who discover Orthodoxy almost invariably convert because its theology, as you have noticed, is so rich and so beautiful. Orthodoxy is considerably different from Roman Catholicism and Anglicanism, so they're not interchangeable. It is worth studying up on Orthodox theology so that you really know the difference.

The conversion process does vary, but the primary activity is regular attendance at church--joining into the life of the church--and study. Some churches have official programs for catechumens and some don't. Since you're in a new location, you might want to visit a couple of different churches to find one you like, and take it from there. Speak to your priest at the earliest opportunity. The site Journey to Orthodoxy has numerous stories of converting and being a catechumen, which I think you'll find interesting.

Once begun, the process ordinarily takes about a year, but, again, it varies.

Christ is Risen!
pasadi97
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 01:12:45 PM »

Pray to God and God will give you a mean of transportation. You are NEVER ALONE.
TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 01:34:18 PM »

James, call up the priest at the Orthodox parish. Ask if he will meet you for coffee at a place convenient for you. Talk, and ask him if someone who goes to his parish lives near you and could give you rides, at least to Sunday Divine Liturgy.

How far away is the parish from you?
James90

Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Constantinople (Deanery of Great Britain and Ireland)

Sanctus Deus, Sanctus Fortis, Sanctus Immortális,

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 09:10:13 PM »

Thanks for all the responses! You have all been really helpful.  Smiley

The theology of Orthodoxy is definitely the main thing that drew me to it and after going to the services it has been something that has pretty much sealed it for me. Before I left where I used to live I had done a bit of research and I only managed to find one near where I lived and the deacon told me that he had heard of that parish and that they were similar to the Orthodox church I had been going to which I really liked.

I have their website but I need to find the right e-mail address, they have quite a few listed! It would be good to arrange a meeting I think- I would have to e-mail them to visit. The Orthodox parish isn't too far away by car, its near a city near my town. Asking if anyone could give me a lift is a really good idea.

Thanks for all your replies again! Smiley
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Taxiarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 09:44:21 PM »

My prayers.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 10:30:13 PM »

Hello, James. I hope you are able to go to a church.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: