OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 12:33:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orans Prayer Position  (Read 2065 times) Average Rating: 0
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« on: June 30, 2011, 01:25:19 AM »

. . .

Notice the Orans position (hands joined pointed to heaven) in this well-known picture of the Holy Virgin of Guadalupe.

Is this particular way of prayer strictly used in Catholicism and in Protestantism?

Isn't the joined hands a sign of Protestantism?

What is the origin of this position of prayer? I remember reading that St. Dominic Guzman used this form of prayer and advocated its use before the Protestant Reformation.

I have not seen its use in Orthodoxy.

p.s. I got stung by a bee yesterday afternoon, and so I am still quite drowsy with a swollen eye.
So please forgive me if I have made any mistakes in this post.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 01:27:20 AM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Wyatt
Archon

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 01:29:58 AM »

Interesting. I just thought this was a universal posture for prayer. I didn't realize there was any group of Christianity (except maybe the Pentecostals who prefer to raise their hands) that never use this position.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 01:33:48 AM »

I think "orans" refers to the arms and hands outstretched during prayer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orans

That is more common in the east than having the hands together.

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 02:04:04 AM »

I think "orans" refers to the arms and hands outstretched during prayer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orans

That is more common in the east than having the hands together.

I think you are correct; however, my brain is foggy with bee venom.

What is the prayer position called with the hands joined and pointed heavenward?
And is this posture of prayer used in Orthodoxy? Are any saints depicted in Icons praying this way with hands together?

If we can find the correct terminology, could you kindly change the title for me?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 02:05:15 AM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 02:15:09 AM »

I don't know what it is called.  I just call it "hands together."   Cheesy

I think Russians tend to pray with their hands at their sides.  At least that is what I have observed.  Other eastern Christians tend to have the hands in front, palms up, which is kind of the orans position.

You'll see the "hands together" position a little bit among the Armenians.  Some do it because they see the Catholics doing it.  Also, there is a tradition among Armenians to have the hands together during the Nicene Creed and another prayer called Park ee Partsoonts (Glory in the highest.)  In this context it symbolizes unity of faith.

I think Indian Orthodox Christians pray with their hands together, but that may be cultural.

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 04:03:59 AM »

Is this particular way of prayer strictly used in Catholicism and in Protestantism?

Isn't the joined hands a sign of Protestantism?

It's a sign of Western/Latin Christianity. You won't find any Orthodox icon depicting the saints in such a position, although there are plenty showing them in the orans position. The same is true of patristic descriptions of postures during prayer.

Like Salpy said, it is not uncommon in the Armenian Church, but the Armenian liturgical tradition has considerable Catholic influences, which makes it more of an anomaly.
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 05:19:46 AM »

From what I understand, this prayer posture actually predates the schism. It comes from the medieval commendation ceremony (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commendation_ceremony). In this, the vassal would swear an oath of fealty to a particular lord. The vassal's submission was emphasized by his posture towards the lord : kneeling with hands pressed together. This would later become common in prayer due to its understood symbolic nature. Prayer is indeed a submission to the Lord.

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 09:00:13 AM »

Oddly, the "hands together" position is also common among Buddhists and Hindus.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 10:52:26 PM »

Is it okay to use the 'orans' and/or the 'hands together' posture when praying at home? I often pray with hands clasped. I guess it's an old habit.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 04:12:09 PM »

The Orans position is one of the very first found in the catacombs.

Also.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 04:16:02 PM by sainthieu » Logged
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 04:41:50 PM »

Is it okay to use the 'orans' and/or the 'hands together' posture when praying at home? I often pray with hands clasped. I guess it's an old habit.

I would imagine that as long as your prayers are sincere, God would not mind how you hold your hands when you pray at home.   Smiley 

J.M.C
Слава Богу за всё!

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 05:47:58 PM »

As mentioned, the "arms-outstretched", Orans, position is the most common form of prayer in the Church throughout history. The only way of holding your hands in prayer I can think of which might not be appropriate is the "fingers-crossed" position.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 05:52:27 PM by J.M.C » Logged

IC XC
NI KA
ilyazhito
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2011, 06:08:07 PM »

I understand. What's that? Can you show me a photo of that, or give me a link?
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2011, 06:52:45 PM »

The only way of holding your hands in prayer I can think of which might not be appropriate is the "fingers-crossed" position.

Possibly odd, but this is also a Christian symbol. The crossing of ones fingers when stating something one was "wishing" developed as a way of petitioning God for that thing, making the sign of the cross with one's fingers. It's analogous to one of us stating something we wish to happen (or not happen) and then crossing ourselves.

I do not know how crossing ones fingers when lying, which is probably what you are referring to here, developed, or whether or not it is related.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2011, 06:57:04 PM »

In our parish it seems the few who do the arms out position (prayer antennas as my friend refers to it) are former evangelicals and only do it during the Lord's Prayer.

Well that is, other than the Priest of course.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Tags: prayer 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: