OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 28, 2014, 07:26:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What do ypu do for Great Lent as a family?  (Read 772 times) Average Rating: 0
Fylakas

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of North America

OgreekG
« on: January 12, 2012, 02:59:32 PM »

Greeting,

I was curious to see what other families do during Great Lent.  I typically have a project or lental reading.  Last year my boys and I built a prayer stand for the Icon Corner.  This year I am going to have the boys pick there favorite quotes from a favorite saint and engrave it into the stand.  We are also going to read "Called To Serve" by Fr. Peck. 
Peace to all.

Many Blessings,
Chris
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 03:31:19 PM »

Greeting,

I was curious to see what other families do during Great Lent.  I typically have a project or lental reading.  Last year my boys and I built a prayer stand for the Icon Corner.  This year I am going to have the boys pick there favorite quotes from a favorite saint and engrave it into the stand.  We are also going to read "Called To Serve" by Fr. Peck. 
Peace to all.
I am grown up & no longer live at home, but when I did we prayed the prayer of St. Ephraim the Syrian beofre going to bed as a family with the prostrations during Great Lent.  Plus the fasting rules for food of course.
Fylakas

OgreekG
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 11:56:13 AM »

I am grown up & no longer live at home, but when I did we prayed the prayer of St. Ephraim the Syrian beofre going to bed as a family with the prostrations during Great Lent.  Plus the fasting rules for food of course.
[/quote]

We do the same as you do.. I love the St. Ephraim Prayer, it really stresses the need for physical and spiritual being while praying. 

Many Blessings,
Chris
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 12:06:40 PM »

Nothing yet, though my girls are getting to the age when I think they could be more involved in stuff, so we may have to try something light/fun this year and see how it goes, and then maybe build on that. Perhaps read a passage from a spiritual work each week and then ask them what they think it means, and give my own thoughts, or something like that.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 12:57:53 PM »

I listen to my Mom worrying about me.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Fylakas

OgreekG
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 02:12:51 PM »

I listen to my Mom worrying about me.  Smiley

LOL!!!  That sounds like my wife and I talking about our 15 yr old Smiley

Many Blessings,
Chris
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 02:59:23 PM »

I typically have a project or lental reading. 
Is this where you cast beans about and try to read a message in how they land? Lent does seem to lend itself to such practices, such as when one of the children -- or one of the adults -- throws a plate across the room because they're tired of eating lentils.

I suppose I should think of a good Lenten course of action for this year. Last year we tried to add a little more prayer into our lives, but it was very difficult because Lent seems to be a difficult time as it is and we were approaching the end of our catechumenate, which I hear is almost universally a rough patch.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: