OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 12:25:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hiding  (Read 525 times) Average Rating: 5
Poppy
OC.net guru

Faith: Muslim
Jurisdiction: Hanbali fiqh

onlytwatsusetwitter
« on: June 29, 2011, 06:22:06 AM »

For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.

What does it mean that a Christians life is hid with Christ in God??
Thanks Poppy
wayseer
Disciple

Faith: No longer Anglican

- a student

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 06:25:45 AM »

I guess it means that 'hiding' within each of us is the potential to be like God.

Not all those who wander are lost.
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 06:42:17 AM »

Thanks Poppy

Basically God owns us now. The verses before exhort us to concentrate on things above, the verses after go on to describe our coming reward and basically imply we have to live according to the ways of Heaven, in a sense we have "no right" to sin and be worldly.
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 06:51:59 AM »

I looked up definitions of "hide" and found that the word may mean "to seek refuge...to remove from danger; to shelter." I think we can see how this fits the Christian experience - to find refuge or shelter in Christ.

Poppy, you're the expert at expressing concepts in colourful colloquialisms (how's that for alliteration Cheesy). I'll let you take it from here!
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 07:08:16 AM »

Thanks you three, yeah i thought about shelter but then i kept thinking about the "you are dead" part and so didn't know what it meant by your whole life is hidden away because you are dead.

Fierce alliteration genesisone
  Shocked
I will use that when i get into a tricky spot "I am just using colourful colloquialisms" haha....
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 02:18:24 PM »

plus... when i listened to F.Meletios Webber on his podcast talk he said this as a introduction.

He is going to "...share with you about once every two weeks, some scenes from the life of the monastery to tell you what's going on here and to tell you a little about monastic life in general and to do all that in a way that doesn't infringe on the basic serenity of monastic life, which is to do with being hidden. This hiddenness, is something monks crave, because it's only in hiding, in a sense, that they can begin to appreciate the fullness of the love of God. If one's ego isn't on show for the rest of the world, then it dies and it's part of that death, that is an important part of the monastic experience."

I don't agree with the ego part he talks about as, you can get ego in any community whether it's a group of monks, or a group of businessmen or builders on a site. Where ever there is people you will have ego issues.

But the part that interested me to do with being hid was what he said about the love of God.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 02:18:45 PM by Poppy » Logged
joasia

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: RTOC

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 08:14:15 PM »

Poppy,

I'm not sure if you are aware of where this is written:  it's from Col. 3:3.  You didn't post the passage so I thought I would offer it. I always read what's written before and after to get the full meaning.  Col. 3:2 - Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.

Also: Col. 2:20 - Wherefore, if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances.

Basically, Apostle Paul was expressing what I read from the holy fathers which is we should not care about worldly(sensible) things, but be unaffected by them because we need to focus on Christ and what is really important which is worshipping God.  For ye are dead...means dead to sin (which is of the world) and which he expressed more clearly in the previous chapter.  But, the part you quoted is a continuation of what was being explained in the previous verses, that's why it was shortened.  Also reading the whole chapter gives more understanding of what Ap. Paul was expressing.  

You'll get alot of these teachings in the Philokalia.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 08:20:22 PM by joasia » Logged

Stillness,  prayer, love and self-control are a four-horsed chariot bearing the intellect to Heaven. (Philokalia 2: p.308 - #24) - St. Thalassios

The proper activity of the intellect is to be attentive at every moment to the words of God.   (Philokalia 2: p. 308 - # 30) - St. Thalassios
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 02:21:14 PM »

Poppy,

I'm not sure if you are aware of where this is written:  it's from Col. 3:3.  You didn't post the passage so I thought I would offer it. I always read what's written before and after to get the full meaning.  Col. 3:2 - Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.

Also: Col. 2:20 - Wherefore, if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances.

Basically, Apostle Paul was expressing what I read from the holy fathers which is we should not care about worldly(sensible) things, but be unaffected by them because we need to focus on Christ and what is really important which is worshipping God.  For ye are dead...means dead to sin (which is of the world) and which he expressed more clearly in the previous chapter.  But, the part you quoted is a continuation of what was being explained in the previous verses, that's why it was shortened.  Also reading the whole chapter gives more understanding of what Ap. Paul was expressing.  

You'll get alot of these teachings in the Philokalia.
Thanks Joasia that makes allot more sense
Tags: hid  hiding  hidden 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: