OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 05:55:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Head coverings for women  (Read 9656 times) Average Rating: 0
Xenia1918
High Elder

Faith: Praying for Divine guidance

« on: June 28, 2011, 01:16:40 PM »

Is it a rule or custom in some ethnicities for women to have their heads covered during Divine Liturgy? Before attending my first Divine Liturgy, I familiarized myself primarily with ROCOR, since that is where I felt I would most belong. However, due to transportation and related problems, I've founded it necessary to attend closer to home, and in the two different Orthodox churches I have been to so far, none of them had women covering their heads, but I know the Russians do.

Can anyone tell me if its a rule or custom? Would it be OK if I covered my head anyway, even if no other woman is?

"O God, enlarge within us the sense of fellowship with all living things, our brothers the animals to whom Thou gavest the earth as their home in common with us..." (from the Prayer of St Basil the Great)

REAL RC: http://www.traditionalmass.org
REAL OC: http://www.orthodoxinfo.com
TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 01:27:49 PM »

I don't know of any priest who will tell you NOT to cover your head (oh, wait, I do - but it was second-hand info). So, it's up to you to do it at a parish where other women don't cover. Just depends on your comfort level. Ask the priest, as well.

Frankly, it might be best, at least for a while, to do as other women in your parish do.

You might feel more comfortable in a hat rather than a scarf, at first. Nice straw hat with a scarf or wide ribbon wrapped around the crown, tied in a bow in back, and ends trailing down a bit?

In my OCA parish, a very few women cover. There's one ROCOR family that comes occasionally. They wore their scarves at first, but don't now. I'm sure they wear them when at the ROCOR parish.

Frankly, being dressed modestly is more of an issue than women covering their heads, in my experience. It's always startling to see a woman dressed scantily, in a hoochie-mama short skirt and showing lots of cleavage or in very tight pants - but topped with a head scarf. These are mostly foreign-born women who were taught you always have to have your head covered in church, but somehow the dressing modestly lesson was skipped. Shocked
kazakage
Nasrani

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 01:34:33 PM »

Y not? Maybe other women will also get inspired Grin
Xenia1918
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 01:49:16 PM »

I totally agree about the modesty in dress too! The only religions I've ever been involved in were Orthodox Judaism and Traditional Roman Catholicism, and both stress modesty in dress to a great degree as well as head coverings, so I'm very used to it and believe in it. When I read the dress requirements at the website for my local ROCOR parish, I knew I would fit right in....my problem is getting there (long story).

"O God, enlarge within us the sense of fellowship with all living things, our brothers the animals to whom Thou gavest the earth as their home in common with us..." (from the Prayer of St Basil the Great)

katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 02:07:14 PM »

Our priest encourages it as a pious practice for women, but does not require it. Some women in our parish do, some don't. I do. Oddly enough, it serves as a reminder of where I am and why, for the same reason, I guess, that I wear a cross. I don't wear a cross to show other people I'm a Christian - I wear it to remind myself that I'm one and to try to act accordingly! Grin

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
joasia

Jurisdiction: RTOC

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 06:48:29 PM »

Xenia,

Look to the Mother of God (Theotokos) as an example of feminine piety.  Covering is a woman's act of obedience to God.  The Orthodox tradition has always taught to cover.  If you visit a monastery or convent, the women are expected to cover their heads, even outside on the grounds.  It's the old way which has become more lenient, in the world.  And also remember that the pious living of the first Christians is a continuation from the Old Testament on some things like head coverings.  Plus, it's in the Holy Bible.  (1 Cor. 11:3-16)

Stillness,  prayer, love and self-control are a four-horsed chariot bearing the intellect to Heaven. (Philokalia 2: p.308 - #24) - St. Thalassios

The proper activity of the intellect is to be attentive at every moment to the words of God.   (Philokalia 2: p. 308 - # 30) - St. Thalassios
nrse

Faith: Russian Orthodox

Act justly. Love tenderly. Walk humbly with God.

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 08:08:20 PM »

modesty of course is paramount...but, as a catechumen i began to feel strongly about covering even though no one else did in our small OCA church...i talked w our priest and he gave me his blessing...so i began by first coming in and kissing the icon then going to my seat...until then i only had my scarf around my neck...once settled in my place i pulled the scarf up over my head and left it there until i left church...eventually i grew more comfortable and began entering the church with the scarf over my head...now 2 other women cover their head as well Wink

i also cover at home when praying...i am tempted to cover all day....

Georgianna
Jonathan Gress
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 08:49:55 PM »

At our church of St Markella's, we don't insist on covering one's head, unless one is approaching the chalice. One is encouraged to wear a skirt rather than pants, and we have skirts for those who don't have them. I'm told the former Metropolitan Petros only insisted on skirts at Sunday services.

One these many tricky things where there is a traditional standard, but for pastoral reasons it may not always be a good idea to enforce it rigidly. That being said, excessive immodesty can also be a sign of bad pastorship. Something I suppose for which we are meant to use discernment. Tongue
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 09:14:02 PM »

Xenia,

Look to the Mother of God (Theotokos) as an example of feminine piety.  Covering is a woman's act of obedience to God.  The Orthodox tradition has always taught to cover.  If you visit a monastery or convent, the women are expected to cover their heads, even outside on the grounds.  It's the old way which has become more lenient, in the world.  And also remember that the pious living of the first Christians is a continuation from the Old Testament on some things like head coverings.  Plus, it's in the Holy Bible.  (1 Cor. 11:3-16)
Curious, can women satisfy I Cor. 11:3-16 like Orthodox Jews do, and wear a wig.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 09:18:41 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Xenia1918
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 09:37:49 PM »

Xenia,

Look to the Mother of God (Theotokos) as an example of feminine piety.  Covering is a woman's act of obedience to God.  The Orthodox tradition has always taught to cover.  If you visit a monastery or convent, the women are expected to cover their heads, even outside on the grounds.  It's the old way which has become more lenient, in the world.  And also remember that the pious living of the first Christians is a continuation from the Old Testament on some things like head coverings.  Plus, it's in the Holy Bible.  (1 Cor. 11:3-16)
Curious, can women satisfy I Cor. 11:3-16 like Orthodox Jews do, and wear a wig.

That's a great question, one I wondered myself! It might interest you to learn that the medieval rabbis frowned upon the use of the sheitel (wig) by religious Jewish women as a headcovering; they felt it appealed to their vanity, when the intent of the haircovering for married women was to make them unattractive to other men, so that their hair would be only seen by their husbands (in ancient times, a woman's long hair was regarded as her glory). This is why the Theotokos has her hair covered, and why in Western art, she also does.

joasia

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 10:18:02 PM »

At our church of St Markella's, we don't insist on covering one's head, unless one is approaching the chalice.

Why the double standard?

One is encouraged to wear a skirt rather than pants, and we have skirts for those who don't have them. I'm told the former Metropolitan Petros only insisted on skirts at Sunday services.

Does that mean that they were allowed to wear pants on other days of Holy Liturgy?  I don't see why he would allow that.

Stillness,  prayer, love and self-control are a four-horsed chariot bearing the intellect to Heaven. (Philokalia 2: p.308 - #24) - St. Thalassios

The proper activity of the intellect is to be attentive at every moment to the words of God.   (Philokalia 2: p. 308 - # 30) - St. Thalassios
joasia

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 10:28:57 PM »

Xenia,

That's a great question, one I wondered myself! It might interest you to learn that the medieval rabbis frowned upon the use of the sheitel (wig) by religious Jewish women as a headcovering; they felt it appealed to their vanity, when the intent of the haircovering for married women was to make them unattractive to other men, so that their hair would be only seen by their husbands (in ancient times, a woman's long hair was regarded as her glory). This is why the Theotokos has her hair covered, and why in Western art, she also does.

Forgive me for my ignorance in this comment.  I read an explanation that the wig was used so that when the women were being attacked in times of persecution and the man would grab their hair, that the wig would come off so that they could escape.  I read this a long time ago so I can't provide a reference, but this stuck in my mind.  It might have been from the late 19th century hence the reason the medieval rabbis didn't mention this.  But, I think the explanation was from an older time.

As a note about the Western art, there's always parts of hair that is shown whereas in Orthodox icons, the head is completely covered.  I noticed that difference a while back.  I think that showing her hair is an immodest and worldly expression.  It lowers her to our level and she is so much more than that as we all know.

Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2011, 10:39:11 PM »

I once asked my priest out of curiosity.  Where we have Liturgy the woman chooses whether to cover her head or not.
ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2011, 10:41:35 PM »

At our church of St Markella's, we don't insist on covering one's head, unless one is approaching the chalice.

Why the double standard?

One is encouraged to wear a skirt rather than pants, and we have skirts for those who don't have them. I'm told the former Metropolitan Petros only insisted on skirts at Sunday services.

Does that mean that they were allowed to wear pants on other days of Holy Liturgy?  I don't see why he would allow that.
I don't see why he wouldn't allow slacks on Sundays, or any day for that matter.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2011, 10:43:54 PM »

Is it a rule or custom in some ethnicities for women to have their heads covered during Divine Liturgy? Before attending my first Divine Liturgy, I familiarized myself primarily with ROCOR, since that is where I felt I would most belong. However, due to transportation and related problems, I've founded it necessary to attend closer to home, and in the two different Orthodox churches I have been to so far, none of them had women covering their heads, but I know the Russians do.

Can anyone tell me if its a rule or custom? Would it be OK if I covered my head anyway, even if no other woman is?

My priest told me that it would be okay to wear a scarf or lacy veil (mantilla) just prior to receiving Holy Communion.
In that way, it would be more acceptable to those women who are militantly against wearing any head covering.
Yes, there are a few of those gals especially in the New Calendar churches: Greek, OCA, and Antiochian.
Surprisingly, the militant ones who oppose and question me, are older women who are over 50 but under 80 years of age.

So, I wear my head scarf only when receiving Holy Communion, unless it is very cold like at Pascha when we must go outside.
Since I have been doing so, more women have chosen to cover. They just did not want to be the first ones.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 10:51:12 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2011, 10:47:04 PM »

Xenia,

Forgive me for my ignorance in this comment.  I read an explanation that the wig was used so that when the women were being attacked in times of persecution and the man would grab their hair, that the wig would come off so that they could escape.  I read this a long time ago so I can't provide a reference, but this stuck in my mind.  It might have been from the late 19th century hence the reason the medieval rabbis didn't mention this.  But, I think the explanation was from an older time.

As a note about the Western art, there's always parts of hair that is shown whereas in Orthodox icons, the head is completely covered.  I noticed that difference a while back.  I think that showing her hair is an immodest and worldly expression.  It lowers her to our level and she is so much more than that as we all know.

She comes from our level "...came down from heaven and was incarnate of the Virgin Mary....and became man...."

Btw, I don't see hair here:

joasia

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2011, 10:48:18 PM »

Why the double standard?

I don't see why he wouldn't allow slacks on Sundays, or any day for that matter.

Did you know him or is this just your opinion?

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2011, 10:52:26 PM »

Xenia,

She comes from our level "...came down from heaven and was incarnate of the Virgin Mary....and became man...."

It is the more modern art of the 1930 to 1990s that depicts the Virgin Theotokos without a head covering or with a partial head covering.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
joasia

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2011, 11:06:29 PM »

Xenia,

His work was amazing.  You're right, no hair there.  I was referring to the Western paintings, in general.

ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2011, 11:12:38 PM »

His work was amazing.  You're right, no hair there.  I was referring to the Western paintings, in general.
It's odd just see it there off in a corner at the Vatican.  The Vatican museum is a rather strange place to visit, even more so.

The covering up of the Holy Theotokos's hair seems based on nuns.  Myself, I don't find this scandalous:

Jonathan Gress
Protokentarchos

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2011, 11:15:18 PM »

Why the double standard?

Well it's better if the women cover their heads all the time, but if they don't want to, at least let them cover their heads when they go in front of everyone else to receive. I expect that is the reasoning. Likewise with the skirts: it's best if they wear traditional female clothing all the time, but if they don't want to, at least let them do it at services where many more attend.
ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2011, 11:19:15 PM »

Why the double standard?

Well it's better if the women cover their heads all the time, but if they don't want to, at least let them cover their heads when they go in front of everyone else to receive. I expect that is the reasoning. Likewise with the skirts: it's best if they wear traditional female clothing all the time, but if they don't want to, at least let them do it at services where many more attend.
How about traditional male clothing?

Jonathan Gress
Protokentarchos

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2011, 11:20:01 PM »

Why the double standard?

He was probably concerned about scandalizing other members of the congregation. Obviously he didn't consider it a matter of faith, otherwise he wouldn't have allowed it ever. It's a good practice, though, since men and women should dress in ways that are appropriate to their sex. There is obviously a double standard with respect to this in our society, since women are far more likely to wear pants than men are to wear skirts, hence the pastoral condescension to some women who may be offended by not being allowed to wear pants and might avoid church altogether for that reason.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2011, 11:20:06 PM »

Why the double standard?

I always wear ankle length skirts to church and to most places of business.
The only exception is when I visit the physical therapist or chiropractor as they have requested that I wear modest slacks
to expedite the treatment. Sometimes I wear slacks underneath my skirts and then remove the skirt at the PT.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Jonathan Gress
Protokentarchos

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2011, 11:20:23 PM »

Why the double standard?

Relevance?
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2011, 11:21:26 PM »

Why the double standard?

Does that mean that they were allowed to wear pants on other days of Holy Liturgy?  I don't see why he would allow that.

Hey, something important is missing.

Oh, he is beardless.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 11:22:50 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2011, 11:29:01 PM »

Why the double standard?

Does that mean that they were allowed to wear pants on other days of Holy Liturgy?  I don't see why he would allow that.

Hey, something important is missing.

Oh, he is beardless.  Roll Eyes
Doesn't look like he can grow one yet.

Besides, beardless goes way back:

ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2011, 11:29:54 PM »

Why the double standard?

Relevance?
you want traditional, I'll give you traditional.

CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

Ask w/ tears, seek w/ obedience, knock w/ patience

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2011, 11:54:46 PM »

Why the double standard?

Relevance?
you want traditional, I'll give you traditional.

So what, now dresses aren't traditional for women?

Authentic zeal is not directed towards anything but union in Christ, or against anything but our own fallenness.

"Beardliness is next to Godliness."- Asteriktos
joasia

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2011, 12:01:26 AM »

It's odd just see it there off in a corner at the Vatican.  The Vatican museum is a rather strange place to visit, even more so.

The covering up of the Holy Theotokos's hair seems based on nuns.  Myself, I don't find this scandalous:

Oh.  I thought you were going somewhere with the statue, but then you bring up this painting.  I'm disappointed.

ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2011, 12:16:52 AM »

So what, now dresses aren't traditional for women?

ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2011, 12:17:30 AM »

Oh.  I thought you were going somewhere with the statue, but then you bring up this painting.  I'm disappointed.
Oh? Why's that?

joasia

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2011, 01:04:24 AM »

Oh? Why's that?

From your comment.

ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2011, 01:14:02 AM »

Oh? Why's that?

From your comment.
That I'm not scandalized?

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2011, 01:29:37 AM »

Are there any Orthodox Icons that show the Virgin Theotokos with her hair showing underneath her veil as in Our Lady of Guadalupe?

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2011, 02:21:33 AM »

Xenia,

Look to the Mother of God (Theotokos) as an example of feminine piety.  Covering is a woman's act of obedience to God.  The Orthodox tradition has always taught to cover.  If you visit a monastery or convent, the women are expected to cover their heads, even outside on the grounds.  It's the old way which has become more lenient, in the world.  And also remember that the pious living of the first Christians is a continuation from the Old Testament on some things like head coverings.  Plus, it's in the Holy Bible.  (1 Cor. 11:3-16)
Has the Orthodox Church changed its teaching on this question of whether or not it is mandatory for women to wear headcovering in Church?
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2011, 02:28:15 AM »

Xenia,

Has the Orthodox Church changed its teaching on this question of whether or not it is mandatory for women to wear headcovering in Church?

I do not think that the Orthodox Church has changed its teaching, but that the modern woman does not want to cover her hair.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2011, 03:38:40 AM »

Xenia,

I do not think that the Orthodox Church has changed its teaching, but that the modern woman does not want to cover her hair.
I am not sure how to understand this . Here, it seems like you are saying that the Orthodox Church has not changed its teaching and that women are still required to cover their heads while in Church, but that today many Orthodox women are disobedient to the teaching of the Orthodox Church. Is that what you mean?
SubdeaconDavid
"...the spread of the light of Orthodoxy among the peoples of all the lands where our Church exists continues as an inseparable part of our mission": Metropolitan Hilarion, First Hierarch of ROCOR
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church Abroad (ROCOR)

Помилуй мя Боже, по велицей милости Твоей

« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2011, 06:48:16 AM »

Xenia,

I am not sure how to understand this . Here, it seems like you are saying that the Orthodox Church has not changed its teaching and that women are still required to cover their heads while in Church, but that today many Orthodox women are disobedient to the teaching of the Orthodox Church. Is that what you mean?
Uncovered hair is a disobedience to both Scripture and Tradition.  St Paul makes it perfectly clear that covered heads for women in church is required.  Is the example of Orthodox women to the 21st century not enough?  If the Mother of God is modest enough to obey the rules, and those rules have been followed not only by women saints, but ordinary Orthodox laywomen, then we need to question the merit of the modern(ist) uncovered hair which has been followed by trousers etc. 

Visit my blog@  http://orthodoxtasmania.blogspot.com

To the Russians abroad it has been granted to shine in the whole world  the light of Orthodoxy, so that other peoples, seeing their good deeds, might glorify our Father in Heaven, and thus obtain salvation
S John of Shanghai & San Francisco
ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2011, 07:16:49 AM »

Xenia,

Uncovered hair is a disobedience to both Scripture and Tradition.  St Paul makes it perfectly clear that covered heads for women in church is required.  Is the example of Orthodox women to the 21st century not enough?  If the Mother of God is modest enough to obey the rules, and those rules have been followed not only by women saints, but ordinary Orthodox laywomen, then we need to question the merit of the modern(ist) uncovered hair which has been followed by trousers etc. 
You seem to have an extra verse.  In my Bible St. Paul doesn't say anything about trousers.

Jonathan Gress
Protokentarchos

« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2011, 07:17:28 AM »

Right. There's a difference between relaxing the standard for pastoral reasons, and completely abandoning or forgetting that there is a standard.
ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2011, 07:23:32 AM »

Right. There's a difference between relaxing the standard for pastoral reasons, and completely abandoning or forgetting that there is a standard.
That's true enough.

Jonathan Gress
Protokentarchos

« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2011, 08:01:20 AM »

That's true enough.

I expect those beardless emperors St Constantine and St Justinian were also beneficiaries of a concession by the Church to Roman upper class customs. After all, in icons St Constantine frequently is presented with a beard.
ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2011, 08:32:49 AM »

That's true enough.

I expect those beardless emperors St Constantine and St Justinian were also beneficiaries of a concession by the Church to Roman upper class customs. After all, in icons St Constantine frequently is presented with a beard.
The obsession with beards came with the Roman upper classes and their Stoicism.  Many (most?) images of contemporary Christians in the catacombs do not have beards.

Xenia1918
High Elder

« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2011, 08:58:44 AM »

I prefer facial hair on men, I think God put it there to make a distinction between the genders.

Tags: head coverings women 
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: