OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 12:36:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can Coptics go to heaven? EOC opinion  (Read 1819 times) Average Rating: 0
loser

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ?

« on: June 27, 2011, 11:01:58 PM »

I am Oriental Orthodox Christian thinking about joining the EOC because I am concerned that EOC beleives that Coptics cannot go to heaven. Is this true? I want to know what the most conservative, official opinion is. Use quotes from bishops/saints, if possible.

Please do not answer if you are not fasting.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 11:14:14 PM »

To answer your question requires that one proclaim their fasting before men and thus be a hypocrite.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 11:17:21 PM »

Wow, is this a first?

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 11:20:59 PM »

OK, this evening I didn't gorge myself with as many french fries as I normally do, so I'll count that as fasting.

The Jehovah's Witnesses believe we are not going to heaven.  Are you going to join the Jehovah's Witnesses because of that?

Not that I want to put EO's in the same category as the JW's, but your reasoning here is a little baffling to me.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 11:27:50 PM »

I don't believe the Orthodox agree with Extra Ecclesiam nulla salus

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 11:29:31 PM »

OK, this evening I didn't gorge myself with as many french fries as I normally do, so I'll count that as fasting.

The Jehovah's Witnesses believe we are not going to heaven.  Are you going to join the Jehovah's Witnesses because of that?

Not that I want to put EO's in the same category as the JW's, but your reasoning here is a little baffling to me.
Good Heavens! What if it's the Hare Krishnas who are right? Shocked
Seriously though, anyone claiming to be Orthodox Christian should spend their life thinking that everyone except their own self will be saved.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 11:38:26 PM »

I am Oriental Orthodox Christian thinking about joining the EOC because I am concerned that EOC beleives that Coptics cannot go to heaven. Is this true? I want to know what the most conservative, official opinion is. Use quotes from bishops/saints, if possible.

If your reason for joining the Eastern Orthodox Church is because you think you can't be saved as an OO, I would advise you that perhaps you need to spend some time in thought and prayer. One should become Eastern Orthodox because they are serious about seeking the truth about God and themselves with all the struggles that will require, not because it is a better "ticket to Heaven."

As for how I fast, that will remain between God, myself, and my spiritual father.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 12:26:54 AM »

Whatever old quote one can find of an EO Saint or bishop condemning the OO's can be matched by an OO source condemning EO's, so you're pretty much in an equivocal evidence situation.

Nowadays it seems like both sides are cautiously optimistic* about the other's chances at Heaven, at least more so than either is about Roman Catholics and Protestants. I don't have quotes, it's just the general impression I get.

*Except for extremists on both sides, of course.
loser

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 06:33:57 AM »

I don't believe the Orthodox agree with Extra Ecclesiam nulla salus
But I had heard somewhere that the EOC accepts the sacraments of the Catholic Church but does not accept the sacraments of the Oriental Church. It seems that the oriental church was considered similar to Arianism and Nestorianism. Is this true?
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 06:41:00 AM »

But I had heard somewhere that the EOC accepts the sacraments of the Catholic Church

No, it does not. There is no intercommunion between the EOC and the RCC.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 07:05:39 AM »

But I had heard somewhere that the EOC accepts the sacraments of the Catholic Church but does not accept the sacraments of the Oriental Church. It seems that the oriental church was considered similar to Arianism and Nestorianism. Is this true?

No Orthodox who accepts Catholic sacraments reject OO ones. Many who reject Catholic sacraments accept OO ones. Even among those who insist on receiving Catholics by baptism, OO are received by Christmation or even just a profession of faith.
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 12:57:56 PM »

It seems that the oriental church was considered similar to Arianism and Nestorianism. Is this true?
Very few nowadays will say that OO's are monophysite. It's kind of hard to realistically maintain that though in light of the fact that the OO's anathematized Evtyches, founder of monophysitism.
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 02:13:51 PM »

It seems that the oriental church was considered similar to Arianism and Nestorianism. Is this true?
Very few nowadays will say that OO's are monophysite. It's kind of hard to realistically maintain that though in light of the fact that the OO's anathematized Evtyches, founder of monophysitism.

Yeah, I know very few EO who would call the OO monophysites these days. Those that do tend to be on the fringe. Some EO Fathers will say that, but they also did not have the dialogue that we have today, but even then not all of them held that opinion.

I have never known OOs to be accepted as EO by baptism. Sometimes by chrismation. An interesting reception I heard of once was OO being received by profession of faith and having the priest make the sign of the cross on their forehead with the closed chrismation bottle. Many EOs recognize OOs as Orthodox, and at the worst are perhaps schismatic...at the worst.

EDIT: That said, full eucharistic communion has not yet been restored. I could not yet commune with Copts, Armenians, Syriac or other OOs. But, I hope to see the day that I can. Smiley
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 02:14:57 PM by Benjamin the Red » Logged

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
loser

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 02:49:52 PM »

No Orthodox who accepts Catholic sacraments reject OO ones. Many who reject Catholic sacraments accept OO ones. Even among those who insist on receiving Catholics by baptism, OO are received by Christmation or even just a profession of faith.

Wait, are you saying that the EO bishops haven't established an official rule regarding how OO's are to be recieved? To my knowledge, it is an official decree in the OO and RC that converts from EO/RC/OO should not be baptized or chrismated again.

Anyway, I am really more interested in hearing the more anti-ecumenical views. What do the very conservative Mt Athos monks and 5th century bishops say? What did Pope Leo say?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 02:51:14 PM by loser » Logged
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 02:53:14 PM »

Wait, are you saying that the EO bishops haven't established an official rule regarding how OO's are to be recieved?

No.

To my knowledge, it is an official decree in the OO and RC that converts from EO/RC/OO should not be baptized or chrismated again.

Copts must never heard of it.
Tigran

Faith: Oriental Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Armenian Apostolic (Orthodox) Church

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2011, 03:40:57 PM »

I hope you know that OO and EOC are orthodoxy, period. For example, OO considered  EOC to be Dyophysite and EOC considered OO to be Monophysite. However, they BOTH reject dyophysite, according to Nestorianism and monophysite, according to Eutychianism.

Why you worry about not going to heaven? Where is your Orthodox faith?

Sdn. Tigran

"We believe in one, universal, apostolic, and holy Church"
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2011, 03:53:15 PM »

Yeah, I know very few EO who would call the OO monophysites these days. Those that do tend to be on the fringe. Some EO Fathers will say that, but they also did not have the dialogue that we have today, but even then not all of them held that opinion.

I have never known OOs to be accepted as EO by baptism. Sometimes by chrismation. An interesting reception I heard of once was OO being received by profession of faith and having the priest make the sign of the cross on their forehead with the closed chrismation bottle. Many EOs recognize OOs as Orthodox, and at the worst are perhaps schismatic...at the worst.

EDIT: That said, full eucharistic communion has not yet been restored. I could not yet commune with Copts, Armenians, Syriac or other OOs. But, I hope to see the day that I can. Smiley

That rosy picture is not at all universal. More traditional segments, in communion with the OCA btw, have been known to baptize, chrismate, and regard OOs as heretics.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2011, 04:50:49 PM »

Just a few days ago, I read an article linked by someone in another thread about how OO's and RC's are received by EO's, and how it differs according to jurisdiction.

The article went into great detail, and if I recall correctly, documented that the oldest way is by profession of faith.  The Russians still do it that way, but the Greeks in recent times have been receiving OO's either by chrismation, or baptism, I can't recall which.

If someone remembers which article I'm thinking of, or the thread in which it was linked, I'd appreciate the reference.

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2011, 04:53:20 PM »

Why you worry about not going to heaven? Where is your Orthodox faith?

Sdn. Tigran

Good point.  As Orthodox Christians, we should love and worship God not out of a selfish desire to make it into heaven;  We should love Him and worship Him for higher reasons than that.

Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2011, 05:12:48 PM »

That rosy picture is not at all universal. More traditional segments, in communion with the OCA btw, have been known to baptize, chrismate, and regard OOs as heretics.

I must second this.  For as friendly as our discussions are, and as seemingly similar as our faiths appear on this forum (and sometimes elsewhere), many EO's do not accept OO's as Orthodox.

Anyway, I am really more interested in hearing the more anti-ecumenical views. What do the very conservative Mt Athos monks and 5th century bishops say? What did Pope Leo say?

I have no quotes, but I can say that more traditional people within Eastern Orthodoxy (some with ties to Mt. Athos) have cautioned my rather accepting view of Oriental Orthodoxy.  In particular, they are quite concerned by the continued commemoration of people (OO saints) whom the Eastern Orthodox Church views as heretics. 

Of course, there is also a fairly standard opinion that the OO's do not have the fullness of the faith, having separated themselves and not accepted later councils and the continued Tradition.  This may seem technical or legalistic to some, but ask traditional EO's about the Holy Fire in Jerusalem and the Holy Spirit's refusal to light the candles of OO bishops, save through the EO bishops.

I'm not sure if this is helpful in anyway, but I thought it should be mentioned.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2011, 05:56:54 PM »

I must second this.  For as friendly as our discussions are, and as seemingly similar as our faiths appear on this forum (and sometimes elsewhere), many EO's do not accept OO's as Orthodox.

I have no quotes, but I can say that more traditional people within Eastern Orthodoxy (some with ties to Mt. Athos) have cautioned my rather accepting view of Oriental Orthodoxy.  In particular, they are quite concerned by the continued commemoration of people (OO saints) whom the Eastern Orthodox Church views as heretics. 

Which saints, and where is this done?

Of course, there is also a fairly standard opinion that the OO's do not have the fullness of the faith, having separated themselves and not accepted later councils and the continued Tradition.  This may seem technical or legalistic to some, but ask traditional EO's about the Holy Fire in Jerusalem and the Holy Spirit's refusal to light the candles of OO bishops, save through the EO bishops.

I'm not sure if this is helpful in anyway, but I thought it should be mentioned.

The Holy Fire in Jerusalem is a separate topic, and probably should be discussed in the private forum.  I and others have always put that story in the same category as the St. Euphemia legend, due to its lack of contemporary documentation.

Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2011, 11:10:05 PM »

In particular, they are quite concerned by the continued commemoration of people (OO saints) whom the Eastern Orthodox Church views as heretics. 

I honestly can't recall.  I'll have to remember specifics.  Do you think this not the case?
I'm not stating that it is accurate but that it's an opinion expressed.

The Holy Fire in Jerusalem is a separate topic, and probably should be discussed in the private forum.  I and others have always put that story in the same category as the St. Euphemia legend, due to its lack of contemporary documentation.

Agreed that it's a separate topic, but I was just presenting a less ecumenist EO perspective, as requested.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2011, 11:14:00 PM »

In particular, they are quite concerned by the continued commemoration of people (OO saints) whom the Eastern Orthodox Church views as heretics. 

I honestly can't recall.  I'll have to remember specifics.  Do you think this not the case?
I'm not stating that it is accurate but that it's an opinion expressed.

I guess it's possible, but I've just never heard of it before. 

Agreed that it's a separate topic, but I was just presenting a less ecumenist EO perspective, as requested.

I understand.   Smiley

Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2011, 11:14:28 PM »

Burt Reynolds is Charlie El-Barker in "All Copts go to Heaven."  Grin
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2011, 08:13:34 AM »

Burt Reynolds is Charlie El-Barker in "All Copts go to Heaven."  Grin

LOL!

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2011, 08:39:54 AM »

Of course, I think Copts can go to heaven.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
Seafra

Faith: British Orthodox hopeful

It's in the shelter of each other that people live

Mr.Dougherty
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2011, 12:21:40 PM »

im not even orthodox and i can tell you the "MOST CONSERVATIVE" opinion is you are a heretic (mt athos) however the official statement is that the two have "... always loyally maintained the same authentic Orthodox Christologicalfaith..." (agreement statement form 1990)

ALSO i dont have the quotes but some of the EO fathers admitted after much study and dialog that the EO and OO are the same faith... ill look for the quotes...
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 12:26:57 PM by Seafra » Logged
John Ward

Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Korea

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2011, 02:23:12 PM »

We do not have a monopoly on the Holy Spirit. I once heard it said "We know where the Holy Spirit is (that is, the Orthodox Church). We do not know where He is not." The idea being that while we know that the Holy Spirit is in the Church, we have no idea where else He is working and we cannot be so presumptuous as to dictate. It doesn't matter if we're talking about OO, RC, Lutheran or anyone. God will have mercy on whom He wills.

So, to answer..."Can Coptics go to heaven?" Yep. It's not our place to say where ANYONE can or cannot go. That, alone, is God's judgement.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2011, 04:03:07 PM »

Seriously though, anyone claiming to be Orthodox Christian should spend their life thinking that everyone except their own self will be saved.

Between statements like this and your .sig, the world just seems a little more sunny each day.

Thanks. //B=|

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2011, 04:22:43 AM »

I know of cases where the Greek old calendarist Synod in Resistance, who represent the more conservative strand of thinking, has accepted OO by confession of faith alone.
Tags: salvation 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: