OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 03:41:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Homeless packages  (Read 583 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: June 27, 2011, 10:20:51 PM »

I want to be a little more charitable and I was thinking about giving ziploc bags to homeless people that contains stuff.

What should I contain in these bags? I was thinking maybe some cash, toothbrush and toothpaste, comb, (maybe the last two might be seen as offensive) and I don't know what else.

Why? I see alot more homeless people where I live now, generally they ask for a job or anything in particular but I know what it would feel like if someone shows that there are people who do care for them.

Oh and no Gideon bibles lol

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 10:29:29 PM »

If you live in a city, a bus/subway ticket/token  is a good idea. When I used to travel to work in DC, I would save my Metro tickets when they were at about a buck or two for that purpose. There were at least 3 homeless men right outside the station on a daily basis, begging for some money so that they could ride the Metro.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
IXOYE
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 10:43:12 PM »

I really don't know about the money part.  I have not heard of that being added. 

As to the packages...they are usually personal care items like a comb, toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, soap, socks, etc.*

On the aspect of food...some people give a gift certificate for McDonald's, etc. as opposed to cash.

*These are the types of items the local homeless shelters request for such packages.
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 11:09:44 PM »

Voice of experience: don't include cash; as mentioned a bus/subway token, gift certificate for a fast food place (usually cheap).

Proverbs 22:7
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 01:57:23 AM »

Why not cash?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
IXOYE
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 10:58:38 AM »

Why not cash?

Basically, so that the money is not spent on alcohol, etc.

A $ 5.00 McDonald's gift card would go for food.  That is so anything given goes to the intended use.  Not diverted for other things.  I have heard that if someone asks for money and is offered a gift card, etc. and they refuse they were not really looking for money to buy food.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 11:01:20 AM by IXOYE » Logged
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 11:04:35 AM »

Why not cash?

Basically, so that the money is not spent on alcohol, etc.

A $ 5.00 McDonald's gift card would go for food.  That is so anything given goes to the intended use.  Not diverted for other things.  I have heard that if someone asks for money and is offered a gift card, etc. and they refuse they were not really looking for money to buy food.

Someone who wants alcohol or drugs will then turn around and sell that $5 gift card for $2.  I see it happen every day.  It's a decent idea, don't get me wrong, but don't think that there's not a way around such a gift for those who are jonesing for their next fix.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
IXOYE
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 11:19:39 AM »

You're right.  I thought about that too.

I guess it also depends on what the amount of cash is.  One can give directly to local shelters and many people benefit that way.  Many will also accept the personal care packages directly.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: