OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 01:21:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone here from the SF Bay Area? I was wondering if...  (Read 754 times) Average Rating: 0
SoleRedemption

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

towerofdavid77
« on: June 27, 2011, 10:19:09 PM »

...anyone was interested in helping start a Western Rite discussion group somewhere in the area, with the goal of eventually putting together plans for a mission. I've been fantasizing about this for a while, and would like to know just how feasible it is. It seems a little silly that there could only be one stinking WR church in this whole state.

Additional advice is welcome for those who have participated in groups such as this, whether Eastern or Western Rite.
Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 11:23:14 PM »

A splendid idea! I'm far from SF, but you can rest assured I'll keep you in my prayers.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 11:26:49 PM »

...anyone was interested in helping start a Western Rite discussion group somewhere in the area, with the goal of eventually putting together plans for a mission. I've been fantasizing about this for a while, and would like to know just how feasible it is. It seems a little silly that there could only be one stinking WR church in this whole state.

Additional advice is welcome for those who have participated in groups such as this, whether Eastern or Western Rite.

Is St. Michael Antiochian Orthodox Church in Whittier, California, the only WR Church in California?

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
SoleRedemption

towerofdavid77
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 03:11:15 AM »

Is St. Michael Antiochian Orthodox Church in Whittier, California, the only WR Church in California?

http://www.stlukespriory.com/WesternRiteDirectory.html

Yep. Sad
LakaYaRabb

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 10:17:13 AM »

There is now a RWRV in California. St. John the Wonderworker. May not be anywhere near you, but that makes two.  Grin
See links below:

http://directory.stinnocentpress.com/viewparish.cgi?Uid=430&lang=en

http://johnthewonderworker.org/

http://www.theorthodoxchurch.org/parishes.htm
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 05:25:49 PM »

Yep. Sad

You could contact the ROCOR clergy in San Francisco and see if they can help start a WR parish in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Have you also checked with the Antiochians? Those are the only two jurisdictions which have Western Rite Parishes.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
SoleRedemption

towerofdavid77
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 05:50:47 AM »

Yep. Sad

You could contact the ROCOR clergy in San Francisco and see if they can help start a WR parish in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Have you also checked with the Antiochians? Those are the only two jurisdictions which have Western Rite Parishes.

I have not. I know there was an Anglican church down in Campbell that converted en masse to Orthodoxy, but they wound up going with the Eastern Rite instead. Also, I may email the ROCOR diocese just to see if there are any other likeminded people.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 07:09:36 AM »

May not be anywhere near you

San Diego. You realize that that places both of them in essentially the bottom quarter of the state?  Undecided

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 07:16:10 AM »

I'm the SF Bay Area and have had a strong interest in there being a Western rite mission, but unfortunately I don't know how useful I am to you as I am drawn rather to Oriental (Non-Chalcedonian) Orthodox Christianity.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 07:16:37 AM by deusveritasest » Logged

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Tags: Western Rite  mission  study group 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: