OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 07:30:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gender Differences (split from Prematrital sex is not a sin)  (Read 2253 times) Average Rating: 1
Poppy
OC.net guru

Faith: Muslim
Jurisdiction: Hanbali fiqh

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2011, 07:39:19 PM »

Ok thanks  Smiley
I'm not done with this it's just that there's allot of info there and i need to take the sources out of wiki (which we're not allowed to use as credible at uni) and pull out the actual science data quotes and go read it at source.
Just letting you know in case you think i just left it and didn't respond properly.

I truly appreciate your considerate reply. You are a gentleman and a scholar. (or a lady and a scholar as the case may be).

Lady  Grin

Ok so now i have had a chance to email my mate who is smarter than me go through all of your study citations, haha... I need to say this. Science will come up with a lot of "evidence" that apparently shows differences in males and females that go beyond the obvious physical ones but all of this "evidence" has been produced by a patriarchally dominated society with entrenched values of women being subordinate, less capable, weaker blah blah.... and two things becomes apparent. One is that a lot of the studies are done by men where it's impossible to switch off their values to be objective enough to come up with uncontaminated results and Two is that even if the study is done by a woman scientist, then she would have to get funding for her study from, male a dominated hierarchy where even on a subconscious level they are not going to fund a study that would go against their values and reason for getting a higher paycheck in some areas.

That's not exactly how she explained it to me but it's the best i can remember. Good point huh?? Yeah i thought so too  Grin i wish i had thought of it lolOl

So i think the "science" is totally debunked in this area  Wink

Sounds like your friend has been brainwashed and you are going along (because of the friendship?). There is indeed something to be said for loyalty to your friends, particularly since this topic is not that important anyway in the grant scheme of things.
No way is she brainwashed shes at uni thats a place where you free think not where you get brainwashed. I'd expect someone to say that more about religion. And i don't go along with anyone, it's just that i have heard her talk about this stuff so much when we would all go out that i know she has some strong points. Its just that i didn't do a academic course like she did so, im not up to speed on all her studies. She reeled off a tonne of different stuff when i text her about the links between behaviour and gender which unless i recorded i would never be able to put across. Like i said, just because i don't have her knowledge it doesn't mean that you are right, it just means it's still a open ended discussion. Maybe i will get her to sign up here as well!!!

haha.... kill all men?? Nah they are usefull  Wink
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2011, 07:45:05 PM »

No way is she brainwashed shes at uni thats a place where you free think not where you get brainwashed.

I wish that were a true statement.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2011, 07:58:40 PM »

No way is she brainwashed shes at uni thats a place where you free think not where you get brainwashed.

well it is in England  Wink
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2011, 10:20:51 PM »

Merely having a mother or woman that is veneratetd is not a sign one is not sexist.  Indeed, effectively using the Theotokos to minimize the voice of other women is itself a sign of that patriarchy.

Are you a woman?  Do you think women's rights has a place in the Orthodox Church ... well, the Virgin Mary made a choice and exercised her right ... not because any Patriarchy was imposed on her.  She could have said no and we could continue to attend the synagogue on the Sabbath with gay and transgendered and bestial marriages celebrated under the huppah (Jewish wedding tent).   Roll Eyes

Using Jesus of Nazareth's lfe and teachings to enshrine the "sanctity" of oppressive sex roles in society and even the family is a gross misunderstandng of his teachings

Whose interpretation of Jesus' teachings?  Betty Friedan's?

[T]he Old Testament patriarchs quite intentionally set themselves against the lunar psyche in women (and in men, who are half-female), in their desire to destroy the Goddess religion, and the Goddess within us all. Because of this, the menstruating womb became the Devil of patriarchy--"the only good woman is a pregnant woman," etc.--and the three-hundred- plus years of European Christian witch-hunting has been accurately called "9 million menstrual murders." Women were burned for practicing our natural moon-crafts of midwifery, hypnotism, healing, dowsing, herbal and drug use, dream study, and sexual pleasure.

If you want sexual pleasure to be your religion, no one is stopping you.   police

; a significant focus in on human freedom and dignity, and part of that is to not be an oppressor to others, to listen to their lives wth understanding and not diminsh the voices of others.  You can't do this if you shut out other peoples perspectives in the name of your own way of doing things being sacrosanct and beyond questioning.

You already have your religion in "women's rights", "gay rights" and "transgendered rights" - you stick to what you believe and we will stick to what we believe....

Agreed.  I think of Christ telling the Theotokos "Woman what does this concern you..."  She followed up by telling the apostles "Do whatever he tells you".

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
BoredMeeting
Loving the Life of a Council Member
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox/OCA

« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2011, 09:41:34 AM »

well it is in England  Wink

Really?

Then has she heard of the case of David Reimer? (http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/reimer/) His parents were told that a boy could be raised as a female and be perfectly well-adjusted without the social conditioning directing his behavior to be a male. His case is considered to have debunked the idea that sexual identity is socially determined.
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2011, 10:11:54 AM »

The original statement i challenged boredmeeting was that certan "trait" and "behaviours" were pacifically manly or womanly. Gender is different to sex.

Sex refers to biological differences; chromosomes, hormonal profiles, internal and external sex organs.

Gender describes the characteristics that a society or culture delineates as masculine or feminine.

That's what i was challenging in second chances original statement. IE: what is "masculine" behaviour and what is "feminine" behaviour and the two words i quoted in my first sentence are the two words she used in her statement.

It's ok, Abbi says ppl often get these mixed up  Wink
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 10:14:16 AM by Poppy » Logged
BoredMeeting
Loving the Life of a Council Member
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox/OCA

« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2011, 11:52:46 AM »

Codswallop.
CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

Ask w/ tears, seek w/ obedience, knock w/ patience

« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2011, 12:08:25 PM »

Yeah, I loled at that line. I thought she was being sarcastic at first.

Authentic zeal is not directed towards anything but union in Christ, or against anything but our own fallenness.

"Beardliness is next to Godliness."- Asteriktos
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2011, 12:09:42 PM »

Yeah, I loled at that line. I thought she was being sarcastic at first.

I thought she was being sarcastic, too.

I'm going to need this.
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2011, 12:52:15 PM »

Codswallop.

haha...
w/eva
 Wink
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 12:52:37 PM by Poppy » Logged
Daedelus1138
Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2011, 07:15:59 PM »

There is a difference between a woman being feminine and a man being feminine (and vice versa).  In homosexual / transgendered relationships, someone has to be the dominant gender and someone has to be the passive gender (and they can switch).  I never knew of a homosexual relationship where both partners were "equal" in gender roles.  In one such relationship, I knew of a tall male Marine who played the submissive role and received abuse for it.   

In same-sex relationships who is or is not the "passive" member is negotatiated by the two people based on communication.  It is unlike patriarchial heteronormativity that insists that one person must be a particular way to uphold an ideal simply because of the way they appear.  And unlike heteronormativity, one person is not necessarily unequal simply for choosing a more passive stance.  Research has shown that same-sex relationships are more egalitarian than heterosexual ones:  http://www.alternet.org/blogs/peek/87672/
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2011, 09:32:54 PM »

There is a difference between a woman being feminine and a man being feminine (and vice versa).  In homosexual / transgendered relationships, someone has to be the dominant gender and someone has to be the passive gender (and they can switch).  I never knew of a homosexual relationship where both partners were "equal" in gender roles.  In one such relationship, I knew of a tall male Marine who played the submissive role and received abuse for it.   

In same-sex relationships who is or is not the "passive" member is negotatiated by the two people based on communication.

Sure, people always change their mind and their preferences and desires - like in heterosexual relationships.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: