OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 10:44:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bulgarian PM Calls for Mandatory Religious Education  (Read 553 times) Average Rating: 0
kijabeboy03
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

"The glory of God is in man fully alive."

« on: June 27, 2011, 06:24:09 PM »

http://www.novinite.com/view_news.php?id=129622
"Bulgaria's Prime Minister, Boyko Borisov, declared Saturday he supports making religious education in schools mandatory..."

Interesting comment near the end about atheism being the biggest threat to Bulgaria.

"This is the Apostolic Faith, the Orthodox Faith, and the Faith of the Fathers. Having this wonderful treasure, let us preserve it, let us keep it, and let us also use it in such a way that this treasure becomes the victory of Christ in us and in His Church." ~ St. Severus of Antioch ~
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 06:52:59 PM »

Glory to Jesus Christ!

I hope Bulgaria is successful in establishing Orthodox religious education in their schools and re-building the glory of Bulgarian Orthodoxy!

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 06:53:43 PM »

Mandatory religious education is the suicide move for the Church.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
ag_vn
Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 05:14:55 AM »

Well we saw what the results were from the lack of such, so in the Bulgarian case I'm sure that the religious education at least won't cause any damage to the Church. Besides from what I understand those children whose parents don't want them to have religion classes, will be free to not attend them.

I hope Bulgaria is successful in establishing Orthodox religious education in their schools and re-building the glory of Bulgarian Orthodoxy!

Amen Smiley
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 05:18:00 AM by ag_vn » Logged
kijabeboy03
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 10:32:48 AM »

"Mandatory religious education is the suicide move for the Church."

Agreed Michał. I went to a university owned by a religious organization and was continually surprised by the number of people who didn't want to be there. Their families sent them thinking a religious education would somehow change them, when in reality it often hardened them even more to any sort of faith. I can't imagine the effects of what I'm guessing is a largely secular school system teaching religion will be...

"This is the Apostolic Faith, the Orthodox Faith, and the Faith of the Fathers. Having this wonderful treasure, let us preserve it, let us keep it, and let us also use it in such a way that this treasure becomes the victory of Christ in us and in His Church." ~ St. Severus of Antioch ~
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 02:46:39 PM »

I can't imagine the effects of what I'm guessing is a largely secular school system teaching religion will be...

I see them.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
kijabeboy03
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 04:04:01 PM »

In Poland?

serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 04:20:53 PM »

I can't imagine the effects of what I'm guessing is a largely secular school system teaching religion will be...

I see them.

what do they look like?

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 05:17:40 PM »

First of all it's taught at school and pupils generally are hostile to anything taught at school. Secondly pupils who attend religious classes have to lessons in a week more than those who don't. They also have to learn (not much but anyway) to get marks. Most of the teachers are very poor at teaching and they don't have the ability to work with the youth. Lessons are also often hold at strange time like early in the morning or in the evenings.

Religion become just another one boring and unimportant class that needs to be taken.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 05:19:24 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
ilyazhito
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 06:13:58 PM »

This is stupid. If religion classes were not compulsory, or if alternatives were offered, it would be good.
P.S. Bulgaria needs someone like Georgia's Patriarch Ilia.
Tags: Bulgaria 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: