OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 10:29:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do we lose free will when we die?  (Read 674 times) Average Rating: 0
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« on: June 27, 2011, 02:00:47 PM »

God has given us the gift of free will. The ability to choose between good and evil. However, when we die and go to heaven, is our free will taken from us? Why did God create us and then give us free will? Will He just take that free will away from us when enter heaven? A friend of mine asked these questions and they are tough to answer.

My answer would be no, our free will isn't taken away. However, once we are united to God in heaven, evil will cease to exist and therefore no longer be a choice.

The whole question is confusing. Any thoughts?
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 02:17:01 PM »

We will still have free will, it's part of the image and likeness in which we are made.

We tend to change our minds when we find new information or see something that we did not see before. Everything will be fully revealed to us by Christ at the final judgement. We will "see even as we are seen". With nothing more to be revealed to us after the final judgement, we will freely continue in the spiritual direction in which we are set at the pace in which we are moving.

At least that's my understanding of it.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 02:20:33 PM »

...also, keep in mind that it's not as simply as simply dying and waking up in Heaven.

Not everyone will find themselves in Heaven.  We pray that everyone does, but, there's no guarantee.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 02:31:48 PM »

God has given us the gift of free will. The ability to choose between good and evil. However, when we die and go to heaven, is our free will taken from us? Why did God create us and then give us free will? Will He just take that free will away from us when enter heaven? A friend of mine asked these questions and they are tough to answer.

My answer would be no, our free will isn't taken away. However, once we are united to God in heaven, evil will cease to exist and therefore no longer be a choice.

The whole question is confusing. Any thoughts?
We keep our free will but have no gnomic will, the faculty that short circuits the ability to use free will properly.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Seraphim Rose
President of Democracy

Faith: [Eastern] Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

2000 Years of Ninjas Wailing on Guitar

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 10:08:45 AM »

As I understand it, we will be in perfect balance -- nothing whatsoever will interfere with our desire to please God.

It ain't who you know. It's what who you know know.
Tags: free will 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: