OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 01:53:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Western Rite Seminaries in America  (Read 819 times) Average Rating: 0
Nero

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: July 09, 2011, 01:34:14 PM »

Just a general question. I'm a Traditionalist Roman Catholic who was discerning a vocation to the RC priesthood before I discovered Orthodoxy. How does the Western Rite subset of Orthodox Church handle seminary instruction for those who want to become ordained and celebrate the Western Rite specifically?
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 01:52:01 PM »

When I went to Holy Cross mamy moons ago, a good friend of mine was an Antiochian seminarian who wished to serve in a Western Rite parish.

Basically he was trained in both Byzantine as well as Western Rite through his involvement in the seminary as well as his special Antiochian sponsored training. Once he left Holy Cross he only served in one rite, however.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 08:17:12 PM »

Just a general question. I'm a Traditionalist Roman Catholic who was discerning a vocation to the RC priesthood before I discovered Orthodoxy. How does the Western Rite subset of Orthodox Church handle seminary instruction for those who want to become ordained and celebrate the Western Rite specifically?

There are various Western Rite subsets, so it's all up to the specific subset you get involved in. For example, there are WR parishes in ROCOR and there are some in the Antiochian Archdiocese. The Antiochians send people to either Holy Cross or SVS for the normal course of study, with some added personal coaching thrown in (as FrChris mentioned). I believe Holy Cross is the preferred location, since the Antiochians' leading WR teleturgics guy is in Boston. But ultimately Met. Philip decides where seminarians go.

Not sure how ROCOR does it. I would assume through Jordanville.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 08:17:49 PM by pensateomnia » Logged

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 08:20:50 PM »

Nashotah House?  Grin Wink Grin
Young Believer

Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 07:10:06 PM »

There are various Western Rite subsets, so it's all up to the specific subset you get involved in. For example, there are WR parishes in ROCOR and there are some in the Antiochian Archdiocese. The Antiochians send people to either Holy Cross or SVS for the normal course of study, with some added personal coaching thrown in (as FrChris mentioned). I believe Holy Cross is the preferred location, since the Antiochians' leading WR teleturgics guy is in Boston. But ultimately Met. Philip decides where seminarians go.

Not sure how ROCOR does it. I would assume through Jordanville.

At Jordanville we do not have any training in WR liturgics. As far as I know such training is done informally through the various priests of our vicariate. Vladika Jerome of Manhattan would probably be the person to contact because he is in charge of the WR parishes.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: