OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 07:32:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Green at Pentecost?  (Read 551 times) Average Rating: 0
Yurysprudentsiya
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA, although in my heart I will always remain a loving son of the UOC-USA

God, the Great, the Only, Keep for Us Our Ukraine!

« on: July 06, 2011, 04:48:40 PM »

In our church, Pentecost Sunday is also known as Green Sunday.  The vestments and paraments are green, and the church is decked with green leaves and branches.  Many folks wear green to liturgy.

Can anyone tell me more about the origin of this interesting custom?
J.M.C
Слава Богу за всё!

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 05:09:23 PM »

Green is the colour associated with nature, and therefore of God's creation. Many churches at Pentecost will also be decorated with greenery and flowers. God's breath comes to renew all creation. The Holy Spirit is "everywhere present and fills all things..".

Green is also associated with the Holy Spirit, as evidenced in Rublev's icon of the Holy Trinity, where the angel generally recognized as the Holy Spirit (on the right) wears green.

There are other customs that associate the Holy Spirit with nature and the created world. For example, in some Orthodox countries those who have flowers as their name, celebrate their nameday on Pentecost.

IC XC
NI KA
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 06:50:41 PM »

"You shall send forth Your Spirit, and they shall be created, and You shall renew the face of the earth." Ps. 103(104):30

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Tags: liturgy  Pentecost  colors 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: