OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 06:33:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What name to use?  (Read 2269 times) Average Rating: 0
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2011, 09:56:34 PM »

OK, let's say I am LA and my name is Jesus.

Can I keep it?   c]//:=|

Why not? Jesus is simply the Greek form of Joshua.

I agree, but piety doesn't always make sense.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
joasia

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: RTOC

« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2011, 10:21:04 PM »

Is the name listed in the Orthodox Church?
You chose to introduce yourself here as "joasia" rather than by your correct Orthodox name. Is the name "joasia" listed in the Orthodox Church? Or are personally chosen diminutives considered acceptable by you?

"Trevor" is quite acceptable for everyday use - just as much as your preferred "joasia" is acceptable here. His name of "Tikhon" is the one he uses quite correctly when receiving the sacraments. If Trevor is someday deemed worthy of becoming a priest, he will be known as "Father Tikhon".

Even the Apostle Peter - given that name by the Lord Himself - is called "Simon Peter" frequently throughout the Gospels and in 2 Peter, he calls himself "Simon Peter". In fact, Jesus Himself addressed him as "Simon" in John 21:15 (and perhaps elsewhere - you can do the search).

I just asked if the name is listed in the Orthodox Church.  I don't see the connection of your response to my question.  I don't want to get into a battle of the wits.  I just want to be able to post a comment in peace.  Ok?
Trevor had already answered that himself in reply #23. I didn't and don't understand why you had to ask. (Yes, I realize that in the meantime others have suggested that there is a recognized saint whose name may be a variation of Trevor.)

As you have noticed a comprehensive list of acceptable names for an Orthodox Christian does not exist. On top of that, one has to deal with local variations of names as well as translations between languages.

Anthroponomastics would be an interesting study. I wonder if there's a course at a university somewhere?

I was just responding to your post of my quote because I missed it earlier.  It may not fall into the sequence of posts at this time.  My apologizes for the confusion.

Stillness,  prayer, love and self-control are a four-horsed chariot bearing the intellect to Heaven. (Philokalia 2: p.308 - #24) - St. Thalassios

The proper activity of the intellect is to be attentive at every moment to the words of God.   (Philokalia 2: p. 308 - # 30) - St. Thalassios
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2011, 10:25:40 PM »

I was just responding to your post of my quote because I missed it earlier.  It may not fall into the sequence of posts at this time.  My apologizes for the confusion.
That can easily happen. Thank you for the explanation and the apology. Please accept mine for contributing to your frustration.
joasia

« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2011, 10:54:10 PM »

That can easily happen. Thank you for the explanation and the apology. Please accept mine for contributing to your frustration.

No apology necessary.  Thank you for your response.  Smiley  Actually, Anthroponomastics would be an interesting subject.  I've always been curious about names, first and family.  Maybe that's why I feel the way I do about names. 

Stillness,  prayer, love and self-control are a four-horsed chariot bearing the intellect to Heaven. (Philokalia 2: p.308 - #24) - St. Thalassios

The proper activity of the intellect is to be attentive at every moment to the words of God.   (Philokalia 2: p. 308 - # 30) - St. Thalassios
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2011, 09:14:24 AM »

There are many people in Orthodox lands who are baptized as and go by names that are not names of saints in the Church calendar. In parts of Romania, for instance, half the girls are named after local flowers. There are also naming customs like this in Slavic lands, including Ukraine and Russia.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
joasia

« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2011, 12:27:50 PM »

There are many people in Orthodox lands who are baptized as and go by names that are not names of saints in the Church calendar. In parts of Romania, for instance, half the girls are named after local flowers. There are also naming customs like this in Slavic lands, including Ukraine and Russia.

Can you list some?  It would be interesting to find the root of it (no pun intended...really.)  It just came out that way.

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: