OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 05:40:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The basic books  (Read 270 times) Average Rating: 0
TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« on: June 26, 2011, 02:35:05 PM »

You might remember from another post or two that I'm beginning to do some informal catechetical work in my parish (with my priest's blessing) with adult inquirers. I'll eventually be actually teaching - either one-on-one or small groups, depending on how many inquirers/catechumens there are at a time. I'm planning on teaching from the books and supplementing with handouts/stuff from the web. That's what my priest has done.

I'm beginning to put together a small library of books, and I'm curious as to what your priests had you read. Just an informal little survey. I only want the most basic books - the ones your priest had you read up until the time of your baptism/chrismation. English books only, please.

Of course, there's Met. Kallistos Ware's The Orthodox Church and The Orthodox Way.

Fr. Hopko's The Orthodox Faith (aka the "Rainbow Series") is on the OCA website.

I recently read Archimandrite Meletios Webber's Bread & Water, Oil & Wine: An Orthodox Christian Experience of God. I think that would be a very good book for someone new to Orthodoxy. I love how it treats the sacraments in the second half of the book. The first half is about the spiritual life (the chapter on "Prayer and Distraction" was really helpful).

Way of the Ascetic by Tito Colliander

The issue is that I'm a bookish sort and many people aren't, so I have to remember that for some people Met. Kallistos' two books might be their limit.

Of course, regular church attendance, and such.

Thanks!
zekarja
High Elder

O Holy Prophet Zechariah, intercede to God for us!

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 03:29:14 PM »

My priest had me read Protopresbyter Michael Pomazansky's Orthodox Dogmatic Theology.

EDIT: You can read it online here: http://www.intratext.com/IXT/ENG0824/_INDEX.HTM
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 03:31:42 PM by zekarja » Logged

Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 07:01:07 PM »

My catechism was done with The Mystery of Faith: An Introduction to the Teaching and Spirituality of the Orthodox Church by Met. Hilarion Alfeyev and is still one of my favorite books.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: