OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 30, 2014, 11:38:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Different rules for different jurisdictions?  (Read 475 times) Average Rating: 0
Rdunbar123

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« on: June 25, 2011, 09:11:13 PM »

One thing I still have a question about is something I think that I have gleaned from this website. It seems that the Russian church accepts RC sacraments as valid and other jurisdictions do not. This does not affect me since I have already decided to talk to the priest about going from inquirer to catechumen after Divine Liturgy this Sunday. Just curious this seems like a major deal or do I have my facts wrong?
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 09:26:46 PM »

In a practical sense, validity of RC sacraments should not have any real affect on you either way, simply because becoming Orthodox would mean turning to Orthodoxy for the sacraments and not any church not in communion with Orthodoxy.

That being said, if you're wondering about how you'll be received, that's up to your bishop. You're priest should be able to tell you how converts from RC are normally received. It's typically by chrismation, but practice can vary.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Rdunbar123

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 10:05:04 PM »

Thanks,
I do understand that this has no effect on me, still trying to understand the scope of differences between jurisdictions and this is a large one. I won't continue to receive RC communion because this would imply agreement on infalibility ect.
TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 10:15:57 PM »

It's a difference between the Russian and Greek Churches that has come into the US.

Here's an article by a former professor of Church History (and dean) of SVS - Fr. John Erickson, on the reception of non-Orthodox into the Church. PDF form.

https://encrypted.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBoQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fjbburnett.com%2Fresources%2Ferickson_reception-svtq97.pdf&rct=j&q=john%20erickson%2Breception%20of%20non-orthodox&ei=5pUGTvCkCdTogQfh09jqDQ&usg=AFQjCNGaHm5oo5EyePu31NJej8_f3fCLhA&cad=rja
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 10:17:06 PM by TheodoraElizabeth3 » Logged
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 12:23:38 AM »

/\  Thanks for that monograph.  Very interesting and useful.

The last official statement from any Orthodox Church regarding the reception of Western Christians is probably the Patriarchal and Synodical letter of 1875 from Constantinople.

Its recommendation is that the various ways of reception by different Orthodox Churches should be left in place.  And one day in the future a pan-Orthodox Council will look at the matter.  It seems an eminently sensible approach from the holy Patriarchate of Constantinople.

See message 5
at
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,35286.msg553576.html#msg553576
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 12:49:35 AM »

It seems that the Russian church accepts RC sacraments as valid and other jurisdictions do not.

Is this accurate?  

I'm familiar with the argument that so long as non-Orthodox baptisms are Trinitarian in form (obviously including ones performed by the RCC), they can be corrected or given grace through chrismation, but I didn't believe they were viewed as "valid."

Edit: The message linked uses the word "valid," but in a historical context.  Hmm.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 12:53:36 AM by Cognomen » Logged

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 01:06:29 AM »

The historical and present day Russian synodal teaching and canons as regards Catholic sacraments.

This overview is from Archpriest Alexander Lebedeff, the senior most priest of the Russian Church in the West

The Russian Church and Catholic Sacraments #1
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/celt-archive/message/2943

The Russian Church and Catholic Sacraments #2
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/celt-archive/message/2944
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: