OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 07:02:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Jew to Traditionalist Roman Catholic to Orthodox Christian  (Read 1558 times) Average Rating: 0
Xenia1918
High Elder

Faith: Praying for Divine guidance

« on: June 25, 2011, 08:58:50 PM »

Hi…I discovered this forum while doing searches on Orthodox Christianity….I have a lot of questions, but first I want to introduce myself, since I have a complicated religious history.
I was born in 1959 to a father of Russian Jewish ancestry, and a mother of Italian Roman Catholic ancestry who converted to Orthodox Judaism in 1944 partly so she could marry my father. I was raised in Orthodox Judaism, but since I was closer to my mother’s family, I found myself spending more time with them, and consequently, learning more of their religion.

My mother’s family largely left the RCC as a result of the changes of Vatican II. In the late 1960s, early 1970s they often shared with me their grief over the loss of the traditions of their church; they told me, “The Church left us, we didn’t leave Her.” As a Jewish kid, I didn’t understand but I never forgot the pain my relatives felt.
I became interested in studying religions, as a result of my mixed-faith background. To make a very long story a little short (!), in my late teens I began studying (without my parents knowing about it) with an older priest at a local parish. (He used the old Baltimore Catechism, something I was later very grateful for.) I was baptized into the RCC in 1978.  I tried sticking it out with the new Mass and other changes, but the memories my mother’s family had shared with me of “what it used to be like” stayed with me, and I didn’t know where to go.
A neighbor to whom I shared my feelings told me of a Tridentine Latin Mass being held in a motel not far from my home. I went there, attended it, and joined the Traditional RC movement, which at the time was forbidden by the “novus ordo” church. I didn’t care; I attended Mass faithfully.

Then the priest who said Mass for them died, and the group moved far away. I stopped attending any Mass, and gradually drifted away from the faith.I remembered the elderly priest once told us that if we could not find the True Mass, we could always attend Divine Liturgy at a Byzantine Rite Catholic parish, since the words of consecration were the same as that of the Tridentine Latin Mass. I found a Byzantine parish and although the customs were different, I stayed and came to love the Eastern Rite.

But then we had to move, and there was no Byzantine parish near me, so again I was church-homeless.  I drifted along like this again, for a long time….spiritually starving but not knowing what to do or where to go. After a lot of soulsearching, I decided that if the church had become that corrupted after Vatican II, that maybe the gates of hell had prevailed and there no longer was a true church (God forbid). In desperation for some sort of communion with God, I decided, reluctantly, to return to the Orthodox Judaism of my upbringing. I wanted truth, and I knew it could be found only in Judaism or Christianity. I felt if Christianity had failed, then that only left Judaism.
But I was so spiritually starved in Orthodox Judaism….in my heart I still believed in Christ, though Itried talking myself out of it to better fit in with what Judaism teaches. I stayed in Judaism, because I didn’t think I had any other place to find truth. The more spiritually hungry I became, the more I drifted into the more mystical versions of Orthodox Judaism, such as Jewish mysticism, the Kabbalah, etc. Nothing helped, and I just began to feel worse and worse.
I met a woman online who it turned out, lives near me. She is Orthodox, and taught me so much about the Orthodox Faith…I wasn’t interested at the time, yet for some reason, I didn’t forget anything she taught me (which is all coming in handy now!) Yet I still felt that if any church should be the true one, it should be Rome. I couldn’t get that out of my head. Yet the gates of hell had prevailed against Rome!
A few months ago I met a guy who told me that the Masoretic text used by the Jews is a corrupted text, originally developed as a weapon against the early Christians. Always being curious about religious issues, I decided to research it to see if what he said is true. I was shocked at what I discovered! The Bible I had been taught was the Jewish Bible, was originally developed as an anti-Christian device to downplay the Old Testament prophecies about Jesus Christ! The more I studied, the more I learned that modern, post Second Temple Judaism was entirely manmade..it was a rabbinic reaction to the loss of the Temple and the sacrificial system, without which sin cannot be atoned for.
I’m active in animal rescue, with an emphasis on pet rats. One day I was grieving over the fact that so many sweet little pet rats are fed to snakes, and I prayed to ask God to help me stop dwelling on that. My eyes happened to glance at a ceramic music box in my china cabinet someone had given me years before…it shows a leopard lying down with a goat, and some of the words from Isaiah 11:6-9 around the base. I felt God was assuring me that when Messiah comes, all cruelty to animals and humans would end. I comforted myself in that, but then started thinking further: the rabbis say that when Messiah comes, animal sacrifices will resume in a rebuilt Third Temple. If that is so, how could Isaiah’s prophecy come true? Unless…..something happened before the time Isaiah speaks of, something which would make all animal sacrifices obsolete. Some final, once for all atonement. The Name of Jesus started flashing through my mind, and so, I took out a New Testament, and began studying it anew….I saw things I never did before, and I came to understand that Christ was the final sacrifice and atonement for sin….that was why He said, “it is finished” on the Cross, and why the veil of the Temple was torn in two by invisible hands when He was crucified! I came to realize that my initial conversion to the Roman church stemmed largely from sentimental attachment to things my mother’s family had told me….now I truly understood what the sacrifice of Jesus Christ meant.
But what to do about a church? The gates of hell had prevailed against the Roman church (I felt), so where could I go? I remembered what my Orthodox friend had told me about her church, so I began investigating it. Because of my past experience with the Eastern Catholics, I was very familiar with the Divine Liturgy and the customs of the Eastern church, so I began attending Orthodox churches. I began reading books about Orthodoxy, such as “The Orthodox Church”, the Catechism of the Orthodox Church, the Orthodox Study Bible, and numerous other books (esp. anything by Fr Joseph Huneycutt!)
I found an interesting article online which answered my question about the way the Orthodox see church authority, and the way the Roman Catholics do. I finally understood that Roman Catholics obey whatever the church tells them, even if it goes against centuries of what had been previously taught. Technically, according to Roman Catholic belief, that would make the Traditionalists of the 1970s schismatics, as they were labeled by Rome. But in Orthodoxy, if a metropolitan or other church figure becomes a heretic and urges the faithful to adopt new, strange doctrines, the faithful are dutybound to break communion with him. THAT immediately struck me as the sensible, correct way to believe. I realized that those 1970s Traditional Roman Catholics were actually thinking and behaving like Orthodox Christians, when they chose to break communion with a Roman church that had become corrupted and taught new doctrines.
I was away from Rome for a long time; I only found out recently that in 2007 the new Pope decided to advocate the Tridentine Mass be restored. It is too little, too late for me. The whole situation with the changes of Vatican II have led me to find the true, original Church: the Orthodox Church. To me a hallmark of the true, original Church is the fact THAT IT DOES NOT CHANGE TO SUIT WHIMS OF CHANGING TIMES. Jesus Christ is the same, yesterday, today and forever.

Forbidden epithet replaced with something more acceptable... -PtA
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 01:51:52 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged

"O God, enlarge within us the sense of fellowship with all living things, our brothers the animals to whom Thou gavest the earth as their home in common with us..." (from the Prayer of St Basil the Great)

REAL RC: http://www.traditionalmass.org
REAL OC: http://www.orthodoxinfo.com
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 09:21:10 PM »

Great story (I love convert stories).

Two questions,

1.  Were you ever on the Fish Eaters Traditional RC web site several years ago?  I remember talking to someone who had a story that was pretty similar to yours on there.

2.  Are you by any chance Dr. Laura Schlesinger Smiley?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 09:21:43 PM by Robb » Logged

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
Xenia1918
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 09:29:09 PM »

To answer your questions: No, and no.  Grin
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 09:29:51 PM by Xenia1918 » Logged

"O God, enlarge within us the sense of fellowship with all living things, our brothers the animals to whom Thou gavest the earth as their home in common with us..." (from the Prayer of St Basil the Great)

stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 09:39:51 PM »

Hi…I discovered this forum while doing searches on Orthodox Christianity….I have a lot of questions, but first I want to introduce myself, since I have a complicated religious history.
I was born in 1959 to a father of Russian Jewish ancestry, and a mother of Italian Roman Catholic ancestry who converted to Orthodox Judaism in 1944 partly so she could marry my father. I was raised in Orthodox Judaism, but since I was closer to my mother’s family, I found myself spending more time with them, and consequently, learning more of their religion.

My mother’s family largely left the RCC as a result of the changes of Vatican II. In the late 1960s, early 1970s they often shared with me their grief over the loss of the traditions of their church; they told me, “The Church left us, we didn’t leave Her.” As a Jewish kid, I didn’t understand but I never forgot the pain my relatives felt.
I became interested in studying religions, as a result of my mixed-faith background. To make a very long story a little short (!), in my late teens I began studying (without my parents knowing about it) with an older priest at a local parish. (He used the old Baltimore Catechism, something I was later very grateful for.) I was baptized into the RCC in 1978.  I tried sticking it out with the new Mass and other changes, but the memories my mother’s family had shared with me of “what it used to be like” stayed with me, and I didn’t know where to go.
A neighbor to whom I shared my feelings told me of a Tridentine Latin Mass being held in a motel not far from my home. I went there, attended it, and joined the Traditional RC movement, which at the time was forbidden by the “novus ordo” church. I didn’t care; I attended Mass faithfully.

Then the priest who said Mass for them died, and the group moved far away. I stopped attending any Mass, and gradually drifted away from the faith.I remembered the elderly priest once told us that if we could not find the True Mass, we could always attend Divine Liturgy at a Byzantine Rite Catholic parish, since the words of consecration were the same as that of the Tridentine Latin Mass. I found a Byzantine parish and although the customs were different, I stayed and came to love the Eastern Rite.

But then we had to move, and there was no Byzantine parish near me, so again I was church-homeless.  I drifted along like this again, for a long time….spiritually starving but not knowing what to do or where to go. After a lot of soulsearching, I decided that if the church had become that corrupted after Vatican II, that maybe the gates of hell had prevailed and there no longer was a true church (God forbid). In desperation for some sort of communion with God, I decided, reluctantly, to return to the Orthodox Judaism of my upbringing. I wanted truth, and I knew it could be found only in Judaism or Christianity. I felt if Christianity had failed, then that only left Judaism.
But I was so spiritually starved in Orthodox Judaism….in my heart I still believed in Christ, though Itried talking myself out of it to better fit in with what Judaism teaches. I stayed in Judaism, because I didn’t think I had any other place to find truth. The more spiritually hungry I became, the more I drifted into the more mystical versions of Orthodox Judaism, such as Jewish mysticism, the Kabbalah, etc. Nothing helped, and I just began to feel worse and worse.
I met a woman online who it turned out, lives near me. She is Orthodox, and taught me so much about the Orthodox Faith…I wasn’t interested at the time, yet for some reason, I didn’t forget anything she taught me (which is all coming in handy now!) Yet I still felt that if any church should be the true one, it should be Rome. I couldn’t get that out of my head. Yet the gates of hell had prevailed against Rome!
A few months ago I met a guy who told me that the Masoretic text used by the Jews is a corrupted text, originally developed as a weapon against the early Christians. Always being curious about religious issues, I decided to research it to see if what he said is true. I was shocked at what I discovered! The Bible I had been taught was the Jewish Bible, was originally developed as an anti-Christian device to downplay the Old Testament prophecies about Jesus Christ! The more I studied, the more I learned that modern, post Second Temple Judaism was entirely manmade..it was a rabbinic reaction to the loss of the Temple and the sacrificial system, without which sin cannot be atoned for.
I’m active in animal rescue, with an emphasis on pet rats. One day I was grieving over the fact that so many sweet little pet rats are fed to snakes, and I prayed to ask God to help me stop dwelling on that. My eyes happened to glance at a ceramic music box in my china cabinet someone had given me years before…it shows a leopard lying down with a goat, and some of the words from Isaiah 11:6-9 around the base. I felt God was assuring me that when Messiah comes, all cruelty to animals and humans would end. I comforted myself in that, but then started thinking further: the rabbis say that when Messiah comes, animal sacrifices will resume in a rebuilt Third Temple. If that is so, how could Isaiah’s prophecy come true? Unless…..something happened before the time Isaiah speaks of, something which would make all animal sacrifices obsolete. Some final, once for all atonement. The Name of Jesus started flashing through my mind, and so, I took out a New Testament, and began studying it anew….I saw things I never did before, and I came to understand that Christ was the final sacrifice and atonement for sin….that was why He said, “it is finished” on the Cross, and why the veil of the Temple was torn in two by invisible hands when He was crucified! I came to realize that my initial conversion to the Roman church stemmed largely from sentimental attachment to things my mother’s family had told me….now I truly understood what the sacrifice of Jesus Christ meant.
But what to do about a church? The gates of hell had prevailed against the Roman church (I felt), so where could I go? I remembered what my Orthodox friend had told me about her church, so I began investigating it. Because of my past experience with the uniates, I was very familiar with the Divine Liturgy and the customs of the Eastern church, so I began attending Orthodox churches. I began reading books about Orthodoxy, such as “The Orthodox Church”, the Catechism of the Orthodox Church, the Orthodox Study Bible, and numerous other books (esp. anything by Fr Joseph Huneycutt!)
I found an interesting article online which answered my question about the way the Orthodox see church authority, and the way the Roman Catholics do. I finally understood that Roman Catholics obey whatever the church tells them, even if it goes against centuries of what had been previously taught. Technically, according to Roman Catholic belief, that would make the Traditionalists of the 1970s schismatics, as they were labeled by Rome. But in Orthodoxy, if a metropolitan or other church figure becomes a heretic and urges the faithful to adopt new, strange doctrines, the faithful are dutybound to break communion with him. THAT immediately struck me as the sensible, correct way to believe. I realized that those 1970s Traditional Roman Catholics were actually thinking and behaving like Orthodox Christians, when they chose to break communion with a Roman church that had become corrupted and taught new doctrines.
I was away from Rome for a long time; I only found out recently that in 2007 the new Pope decided to advocate the Tridentine Mass be restored. It is too little, too late for me. The whole situation with the changes of Vatican II have led me to find the true, original Church: the Orthodox Church. To me a hallmark of the true, original Church is the fact THAT IT DOES NOT CHANGE TO SUIT WHIMS OF CHANGING TIMES. Jesus Christ is the same, yesterday, today and forever.

Thank you kindly for posting this great story. I have a few comments, but I am not sure if it is appropriate for Romans to comment on the convert issues thread. 
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 09:47:32 PM by stanley123 » Logged
Xenia1918
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 09:52:21 PM »

[/quote]Thank you kindly for posting this great story. I have a few comments, but I am not sure if it is appropriate for Romans to comment on the convert issues thread. 
[/quote]

I don't know about the moderators, but I'd like to hear whatever you want to say or ask!

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 10:03:12 PM »

Welcome to the forum.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
JR
Elder

Faith: No idea
Jurisdiction: Athens

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 04:47:27 AM »

Hi

Thank you for your conversion story, it is very interesting and very useful.

I am a Roman Catholic and I struggle and don't believe in some of the doctrines now being taught.

the way they change there minds and bring in new ideas at the whim of a not infaluble pope.

I did advanced studies in The catechism of the Roman Catholic church, and instead of bringing me closer to the church, it has pushed me further away.

It feels like I am limbo.

I have been looking at the Orthodox faith for some time, and most of my own faith is what orthodoxy teaches.

so it like being cut into 2, which way to go... I am sure you felt the same.

how do you feel now? do you feel at home in the orthodox church?

I am going to try and find a priest that speaks English this week and talk with him.

My God bless us on our spiritual journey.

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them".

Mother Teresa
joasia

Jurisdiction: RTOC

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 06:43:04 AM »

Glory be to God!  Xenia, you have just described a miracle!  Jesus Christ called you and you followed.  Welcome!  Not only to the Forum but best of all to the True Faith. 

Stillness,  prayer, love and self-control are a four-horsed chariot bearing the intellect to Heaven. (Philokalia 2: p.308 - #24) - St. Thalassios

The proper activity of the intellect is to be attentive at every moment to the words of God.   (Philokalia 2: p. 308 - # 30) - St. Thalassios
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 07:45:55 AM »

Jesus Christ is the same, yesterday, today and forever.

Welcome.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 07:46:38 AM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 07:49:42 AM »

Hello too, J.R. If you have questions about the Orthodox faith, the best thing to do is contact a local priest.

Welcome to the board.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
JR
Elder

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 09:07:19 AM »

Thank you for the welcome.

I am going to try and find a Orthodox priest that speaks English this week.

There are orthodox churches here on every street corner almost, The problem is most priests here don't speak English, only Greek.

my spoken Greek is not that good at the moment, and my learning process in Greek is rather slow.

and yes I live in Athens, Greece.

but I am sure God will show the way.

God Bless

Mother Teresa
Xenia1918
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 09:25:45 AM »

Hi

I am a Roman Catholic and I struggle and don't believe in some of the doctrines now being taught.

the way they change there minds and bring in new ideas at the whim of a not infaluble pope.

I did advanced studies in The catechism of the Roman Catholic church, and instead of bringing me closer to the church, it has pushed me further away.

I have been looking at the Orthodox faith for some time, and most of my own faith is what orthodoxy teaches.

I am going to try and find a priest that speaks English this week and talk with him.

Hi JR! And YES, I know EXACTLY how you feel! I was a child, really, when I first decided to become a Roman Catholic...I was filled with the stories of  "how the church used to be" by my mom's family, and back then I didn't understand a lot of theological principles as I do now. But over the years I watched the RCC closely...I saw that they changed things overnight and the faithful were just expected to confrom with0ut question. The Orthodox way is to judge the beliefs and teachings of the clergy by what the Church has always taught (Church Fathers, Scripture, etc) and if he differs, Orthodox are dutybound to break communion. The teachings of the Church as it has always been come first. That just rang a bell with me as being the true way of seeing it. I now undersatand the heart of the problem I always had with the RCC, and frankly, I had this problem with Orthodox Judaism too....Jews are expected to accept any ruling of their rabbi, even if idiotic and often rabbis will disagree with each other...you are expected to go with whichever rabbi "is more lenient", and so I saw that for the joke it is, too.

JR
Elder

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2011, 09:44:03 AM »

Hi

Hi JR! And YES, I know EXACTLY how you feel! I was a child, really, when I first decided to become a Roman Catholic...I was filled with the stories of  "how the church used to be" by my mom's family, and back then I didn't understand a lot of theological principles as I do now. But over the years I watched the RCC closely...I saw that they changed things overnight and the faithful were just expected to confrom with0ut question. The Orthodox way is to judge the beliefs and teachings of the clergy by what the Church has always taught (Church Fathers, Scripture, etc) and if he differs, Orthodox are dutybound to break communion. The teachings of the Church as it has always been come first. That just rang a bell with me as being the true way of seeing it. I now undersatand the heart of the problem I always had with the RCC, and frankly, I had this problem with Orthodox Judaism too....Jews are expected to accept any ruling of their rabbi, even if idiotic and often rabbis will disagree with each other...you are expected to go with whichever rabbi "is more lenient", and so I saw that for the joke it is, too.

Yes I agree, it should not be that way, you should have the right to say if you think something is wrong, and to say that one person only (the POPE) has complete authority with no comback is nonsense, and that was only made cannon law in the end of the 1800s.

Christ made the church, he gave it to us, not to change it because of peoples whims.

are you orthodox now?

Mother Teresa
Xenia1918
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2011, 09:50:12 AM »

Hi

Yes I agree, it should not be that way, you should have the right to say if you think something is wrong, and to say that one person only (the POPE) has complete authority with no comback is nonsense, and that was only made cannon law in the end of the 1800s.

Christ made the church, he gave it to us, not to change it because of peoples whims.

are you orthodox now?

I am not Orthodox yet, but God willing, will be sometime soon. I have to have further meetings with the priest of the parish I am currently in.

ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2011, 09:55:35 AM »

Welcome!
May I recommend a very short book? Its called "A Tiny Step Away From Deepest Faith" by Marjorie Corbman (who actually used to be a poster here). She grew up Jewish and came to Orthodoxy as a teenager. Its a remarkable account of a fascinating journey.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 09:56:03 AM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Xenia1918
High Elder

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2011, 02:39:12 PM »

Welcome!
May I recommend a very short book? Its called "A Tiny Step Away From Deepest Faith" by Marjorie Corbman (who actually used to be a poster here). She grew up Jewish and came to Orthodoxy as a teenager. Its a remarkable account of a fascinating journey.

Thank you for this!

TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2011, 02:43:31 PM »

Another book is Surprised by Christ: My Journey from Judaism to Orthodox Christianity by Fr. James Bernstein, an Antiochian priest. I've read parts of it and it's very good.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 02:44:01 PM by TheodoraElizabeth3 » Logged
Xenia1918
High Elder

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2011, 02:57:52 PM »

Does anyone know of any former Traditionalist Roman Catholics who became Orthodox? Truthfully, I returned to Orthodox Judaism for a time only because I felt the gates of hell had prevailed against the (Roman Catholic) church. My heart was not really in it, but I was looking for truth,wherever it could be found. I'm more interested in finding other former Traditional RCs who became Orthodox than Jews who became Orthodox.

stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2011, 12:25:22 AM »

Does anyone know of any former Traditionalist Roman Catholics who became Orthodox? Truthfully, I returned to Orthodox Judaism for a time only because I felt the gates of hell had prevailed against the (Roman Catholic) church. My heart was not really in it, but I was looking for truth,wherever it could be found. I'm more interested in finding other former Traditional RCs who became Orthodox than Jews who became Orthodox.
Some Traditional RC's went over to the SSPX.
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2011, 05:26:48 AM »

I talked to a women from Philadelphia some years ago who was a Traditional Catholic (Attending an independent chapel as you did).  She converted to Orthodox Judaism for some reason.  It was on the Fish Eaters RC forum in the Summer of 2008.

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
JR
Elder

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2011, 07:13:40 AM »

Welcome!

Thanks for this, I read the write up on amazon, it does seem very good.

Mother Teresa
Xenia1918
High Elder

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2011, 01:13:15 PM »

I talked to a women from Philadelphia some years ago who was a Traditional Catholic (Attending an independent chapel as you did).  She converted to Orthodox Judaism for some reason.  It was on the Fish Eaters RC forum in the Summer of 2008.

I don't recall posting on a forum like that, but its possible (I recently started going through "the change of life" a year ago, ad my memory is basically gone!) However I do recall from many years ago, when I was a TC, that there were a few other Jewish converts in the chapel I attended, in one case, an entire family!

Personna

Faith: I no longer post here.

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2011, 12:31:32 PM »

I was a Traditionalist Roman Catholic, who then went to the Byzantine Catholic Church, and then converted to the Orthodox Church.
Xenia1918
High Elder

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2011, 05:04:28 PM »

I was a Traditionalist Roman Catholic, who then went to the Byzantine Catholic Church, and then converted to the Orthodox Church.

We need to talk! Smiley

Personna

Faith: I no longer post here.

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2011, 11:09:55 PM »

We need to talk! Smiley

I sent you a PM.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2011, 11:35:23 PM »

Does anyone know of any former Traditionalist Roman Catholics who became Orthodox?

A close friend of mine, who was received into the Church on the same day as me, is former SSPX.  He's not on this forum, but they're definitely out there.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Tags: Orthodox Judaism Glory to Jesus Christ! 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: