Author Topic: working and going to Church  (Read 951 times)

Offline Tikhon.of.Colorado

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
working and going to Church
« on: June 24, 2011, 11:14:36 PM »
Hello, everyone. Christ is in our midst!

I have a problem.  I recently got a job at a local Mexican fast food place. In my resume, I specifically said I couldn't work past 4:30pm on Saturdays.  This is because I need to go to vespers.  My manager wants me to go in at a time tomorrow that would usually mean I worked until 6pm.  I am going to have to tell her that I can't work past 5pm at the latest.  I think this will go smoothly, but I am having a hard time with my mom.  My mom tells me and tells me that nothing comes before work, and that Church can wait.  Not being a Church goer herself, I understand that she would think this is unimportant, but it is so very important to me.

I'm willing to put my foot down to my manager to go to Church without the support of my mom, is this right?  I understand that we must walk away from everything to take up our crosses and follow Him, and I truly believe this is an instance where I simply must.

I ask your prayers and advice.

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
Re: working and going to Church
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 11:50:48 PM »
your mom is right.
"I saw a miracle where 2 people entered church one by baptism and one by chrismation. On pictures the one received by full baptism was shinning in light the one by chrismation no."

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαύμα!
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 12:00:36 AM »
That work comes before Church? Uhhhh...
"Verily they that seek Thee, Lord, and keep the canons of Thy Holy Church shall never want any good thing.”
St. John the Merciful

"This is the one from the beginning, who seemed to be new, yet was found to be ancient and always young, being born in the hearts of the saints."
Letter to Diognetus 11.4

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 12:03:14 AM »
That work comes before Church? Uhhhh...
Well the bourgeois can put church before work, of course. Those that have the religious hobby. More would probably put golf .
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 12:04:34 AM by augustin717 »
"I saw a miracle where 2 people entered church one by baptism and one by chrismation. On pictures the one received by full baptism was shinning in light the one by chrismation no."

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαύμα!
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 12:20:59 AM »
We don't know people's circumstances.   ;)

I think going to Church is far more important.   :)
"Verily they that seek Thee, Lord, and keep the canons of Thy Holy Church shall never want any good thing.”
St. John the Merciful

"This is the one from the beginning, who seemed to be new, yet was found to be ancient and always young, being born in the hearts of the saints."
Letter to Diognetus 11.4

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 12:23:06 AM »
Also, I should add that it is my new priest's first service tomorrow, and he really wants me in the altar. 

Offline JamesRottnek

• Taxiarches
  • I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 12:26:34 AM »
I would say your mom might be right IF your job was absolutely vital to your existence.  That is, if your losing a job (which theoretically could happen if you refused to work through vespers) would lead to your starvation and homlessness. especially so if you were supporting a family.  However, if that is not the case, I'm not really sure it is a good idea to skip Church just to work (now, if you would be unable to go to Church anyways, I would see no problem with working, obviously).

Just some thoughts from an unemployed, not yet baptized person.
"Homosexuality has been a popular topic, but not Satanic trances."

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 12:29:20 AM »
I would say your mom might be right IF your job was absolutely vital to your existence.  That is, if your losing a job (which theoretically could happen if you refused to work through vespers) would lead to your starvation and homlessness. especially so if you were supporting a family.  However, if that is not the case, I'm not really sure it is a good idea to skip Church just to work (now, if you would be unable to go to Church anyways, I would see no problem with working, obviously).

Just some thoughts from an unemployed, not yet baptized person.

My job is not something vital to my existence, but something to do during summer vacation :) .  My manager says that they are flexible, so I don't think this will be a problem. 

What's got me down is that my mom doesn't even want me to ask to leave early.  I would feel very bad if I didn't, though.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 12:30:20 AM by trevor72694 »

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 12:45:10 AM »
Speak with your priest about it.  He may have some ideas.