OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 08:30:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AFR podcast talks  (Read 1746 times) Average Rating: 0
Poppy
OC.net guru

Faith: Muslim
Jurisdiction: Hanbali fiqh

onlytwatsusetwitter
« on: June 25, 2011, 06:32:00 AM »

I thought that people listen to the podcasts on there so we could say what we listened to and what we got from it. Put the title at the top so that were clear what it is your listening to and if you quote any stuff try and get the place it's at on the track.

"Jottings from a Holy Mountain"

Abbot Meletios Webber

I listened to them all, while i was driving around mostly. He's not the best speaker in his voice because its a bit all on one tone but after a while you get use to it, it wasn't that irritating.

He talks about monks in general and their rank, what they all do every day, where he's travelled to, who he went to see, what sort of monastery it is, what rite they are, the history of the place where hes staying at, he goes on allot about silence and all sorts of spiritual stuff but you have to wade through the mundane stuff to get to the small comments he makes on spiritual stuff. It's more like a blog about him and what's going on around him rather than anything else.

I give it a 4 out of 10 if rating it for it's interest to me.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 06:35:13 AM by Poppy » Logged
PrincessMommy
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

OCA

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 08:36:52 AM »

I don't like his "Jottings..." very much but I did very much enjoy his special titled "Life as a Mystery".
http://ancientfaith.com/specials/archimandrite_meletios_webber

I've listened to it 3-4 times in the last year and each time I was not disappointed.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 08:38:58 AM by PrincessMommy » Logged
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 09:19:39 AM »

I hope you may try some of the other podcasts. They have quite a few.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 09:25:16 AM »

I don't like his "Jottings..." very much but I did very much enjoy his special titled "Life as a Mystery".
http://ancientfaith.com/specials/archimandrite_meletios_webber

I've listened to it 3-4 times in the last year and each time I was not disappointed.

Thanks PM, i will check that one out.

Yeah Biro, i plan to listen to a few thas why i set up this thread. Maybe we will even all get through all of them eventually  Shocked
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 09:30:45 AM »

"Roads From Emmaus"
Father Andrew Stephen Damick

Having really enjoyed his "Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy" series (9/10) I started listening to his other podcast series. I listened to part of his lecture series on the Epistles of Saint Ignatius of Antioch and found them really informative, especially the episodes on the Eucharist and the role of the bishop. (9/10)

My ratings will probably be boring because I tend to praise everything too much lol.

Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 09:54:10 AM »

"Orthodixie"
Father Joseph Hunnycutt

Nice pearls of wisdom couched in humorous anecdotes. Fr. Joseph is from Texas, so I don't know how well his humor "crosses the Pond," but you might like it. (9/10)
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 10:45:04 AM »

I second Father Steven Damick's Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy. It's a gem if you want to find out the difference between Orthodoxy and everything else. It's also a good, broad introduction to Christian History.

I'd also recommend Father Thomas Hopko's talks, Father Patrick Henry Reardon's homilies, and Steve Robinson' Our Life in Christ.
Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 11:21:46 AM »

The "Our Life in Christ" podcasts, by Steven Robinson and Bill Gould, were very influential in my conversion process. I'd recommend them to anyone, 7 out of 10 Smiley
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 11:59:27 AM »

I am a huge fan of anything Fr. Thomas Hopko does.  His latest series, "Worship in Spirit and Truth," has been riveting so far.  I know many people find him a dry and too "schoolish," but I love his style.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 12:58:18 PM »

I am a huge fan of anything Fr. Thomas Hopko does.  His latest series, "Worship in Spirit and Truth," has been riveting so far.  I know many people find him a dry and too "schoolish," but I love his style.
Me too. I can tell he has a real pastoral heart as well.

I also recommend his other two podcasts, "Speaking the Truth in Love" and "The Names of Jesus."
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 01:06:49 PM »

"Speaking of Books"
Nicholas Chapman, Katherine Hyde, Jane Meyer, Fr. Michael Gillis, and other contributors.

Excellent reviews mostly of Orthodox books but also other things, such as some good episodes on Jane Austen.

8/10-Chapman is a bit dry at times, as I recall.
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 11:21:30 AM »

Father Steven Damick's "Orthodoxy vs Heterodoxy"

wowzz i juss tarted listening to the O v H series and i'm up to the part 2 Catholics. They are all over the place with there doctrine huh?? It's not even one thing or two its a tonne of thing that make their faith walk like they're lashed. The bloke who is speaking is a bit nasal but because the topic is interesting that fades into the background quick. He's going through all the other Christian heterodoxies as well so i am well excited. I'm typing the whole thing up so i might post it at some point (unless someone else has done that)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 11:23:21 AM by Poppy » Logged
asdamick
Doctrine matters.

Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Khouri Al-Imwas

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2011, 05:46:47 PM »

wowzz i juss tarted listening to the O v H series and i'm up to the part 2 Catholics. They are all over the place with there doctrine huh?? It's not even one thing or two its a tonne of thing that make their faith walk like they're lashed. The bloke who is speaking is a bit nasal but because the topic is interesting that fades into the background quick. He's going through all the other Christian heterodoxies as well so i am well excited. I'm typing the whole thing up so i might post it at some point (unless someone else has done that)

Not really sure what you mean by "typing the whole thing up," but perhaps you might find the book to suit your needs.

Just as a side note, I'm amused at how many folks drop my first name in lieu of my middle.  Smiley

Author, "Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy" & "An Introduction to God" (both from Ancient Faith Publishing / Conciliar Press)
joasia

Jurisdiction: RTOC

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2011, 05:53:41 PM »

Poppy, good idea for a thread.  I was listening to "A Word From the Holy Fathers" by Fr. Matthew.  He speaks about many issues starting off with an excerpt from one of the Holy Fathers.  Then he builds on that theme.  I was amazed about what he explained.  He seems very insightful.  I thought about you during some of them and thought I should tell you about this site (hence my other post).  But, I leave it up to you to decide what to listen to when browsing the titles.  

Stillness,  prayer, love and self-control are a four-horsed chariot bearing the intellect to Heaven. (Philokalia 2: p.308 - #24) - St. Thalassios

The proper activity of the intellect is to be attentive at every moment to the words of God.   (Philokalia 2: p. 308 - # 30) - St. Thalassios
joasia

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2011, 05:55:20 PM »

Poppy, I've noticed that some podcasts provide transcripts so you might not need to type it all up. 

Stillness,  prayer, love and self-control are a four-horsed chariot bearing the intellect to Heaven. (Philokalia 2: p.308 - #24) - St. Thalassios

The proper activity of the intellect is to be attentive at every moment to the words of God.   (Philokalia 2: p. 308 - # 30) - St. Thalassios
asdamick
Doctrine matters.

Khouri Al-Imwas

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2011, 06:04:00 PM »

Poppy, I've noticed that some podcasts provide transcripts so you might not need to type it all up. 

Also, posting transcripts to podcasts without permission of the owners would constitute a breach of copyright law and not be very nice to folks who put a lot of effort into their work.

Author, "Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy" & "An Introduction to God" (both from Ancient Faith Publishing / Conciliar Press)
joasia

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2011, 06:07:46 PM »

Also, posting transcripts to podcasts without permission of the owners would constitute a breach of copyright law and not be very nice to folks who put a lot of effort into their work.

I didn't know that.  But, why do they provide us with the transcripts that we can easily save on Word?

asdamick
Doctrine matters.

Khouri Al-Imwas

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2011, 06:14:04 PM »

I didn't know that.  But, why do they provide us with the transcripts that we can easily save on Word?

It might be a good idea to learn about copyright and the Internet.

In short, though, reposting something without permission of the owner is a violation of the law in most countries.  Just because you can make a copy of something doesn't mean you can republish it (which is what reposting is).

It's also not very nice to the author, especially when you're making your own transcript and then publishing it.  What if the author had been planning to try to sell copies of his work and make a living off it?  Well, now people can get it for free, and you just ripped him off and rendered all his hard work useless.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 06:14:58 PM by asdamick » Logged

Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2011, 06:53:40 PM »

Are you planning on doing any more Roads from Emmaus episodes, Father?
asdamick
Doctrine matters.

Khouri Al-Imwas

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2011, 06:56:18 PM »

Are you planning on doing any more Roads from Emmaus episodes, Father?

Yep.

Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2011, 07:07:21 PM »

Huzzah.  Grin

And thank you for all your hard work!
joasia

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2011, 07:12:22 PM »

I didn't know that.  But, why do they provide us with the transcripts that we can easily save on Word?

In short, though, reposting something without permission of the owner is a violation of the law in most countries.  Just because you can make a copy of something doesn't mean you can republish it (which is what reposting is).

It's also not very nice to the author, especially when you're making your own transcript and then publishing it.  What if the author had been planning to try to sell copies of his work and make a living off it?  Well, now people can get it for free, and you just ripped him off and rendered all his hard work useless.

But, if they want to sell it, then why can we access the transcript for free?  I do see that some have the $ sign which means we need to buy it, but then can we share it with others?  So the ones that are free to access, does that mean that they don't mind if we copy and repost?  After all, God's teachings should be accessible and shared with everyone.  It's like we are extending their preachings to others which reaches a lot of people they may never have been able to reach.  Also, we can always refer people to the site and they can hear it for free.  How can they make money out of that?  Are the teachings of God for sale now?  I think that if a person wants to make money by selling the copy, then that is the major issue.  That's just my logic about it.  
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 07:20:14 PM by joasia » Logged

asdamick
Doctrine matters.

Khouri Al-Imwas

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2011, 07:30:48 PM »

But, if they want to sell it, then why can we access the transcript for free?  I do see that some have the $ sign which means we need to buy it, but then can we share it with others?  So the ones that are free to access, does that mean that they don't mind if we copy and repost?  After all, God's teachings should be accessible and shared with everyone.  It's like we are extending their preachings to others which reaches a lot of people they may never have been able to reach.  Also, we can always refer people to the site and they can hear it for free.  How can they make money out of that?  Are the teachings of God for sale now?  That's just my logic about it.  

There are a couple of different issues here.

1.  The poster above made reference to "typing it all in," i.e., that he was making his own transcript (not using AFR's).  It's one thing to do that for personal use, but the moment you post something like that, you're breaking the law and also breaking a trust.

2.  AFR does publish some transcripts, by permission of the author.  But the author didn't necessarily grant permission for those transcripts to get republished somewhere else, too.  Republishing is republishing.  Just because you found it on the Internet does not mean that you can republish it.  That would be like saying that you found a book in a public library, so it must be okay to make xerox copies and hand them out to people.

All that aside, yes, of course we are talking about the teachings of the Church.  No one is trying to make money off our dogma.  (Okay, maybe someone is, but not anyone on AFR.)

Nevertheless, a workman is still worth his hire (Luke 10:7; 1 Tim. 5:18), and the particular manner in which a teacher may express the Church's teachings can certainly be worth the ability to make a living.  When we respect someone's wishes regarding what they want done with their material, we're not only behaving as Christians toward them, but (particularly if this is how they make a living), we're making it possible for them to keep producing that material.  A writer writes for a living.  If he can't make a living any more because people are stealing his writing, then he'll have to find something else to do to make a living.

Using myself as an example -- of course I would never charge anyone to learn about Orthodoxy from me.  But I still get a salary from my parish.  And people still pay money for my book.  But if I no longer could make a living from being a parish priest or from writing a book (and believe me -- neither really pays that much), then that means I would have to do something else to make a living.  If parishioners and readers begin insisting that I should not be able to make a living from what I do, then that means I would have to stop doing it, because I still have to make a living.

By insisting that people give their work away for free, you may be making it so they can't do that work any more.  I give a lot away for free.  But I can't do everything for free.  I gotta feed my kids, you know.  No doubt the work you do is important, too, but if you couldn't make a living at it, you'd have to find something else to do.

The bottom line, though, is that reposting material you do not own without permission is stealing, which is not only against God's law, but is against man's, too.

Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2011, 07:31:06 PM »

All I see is the button to sponsor a transcript, which probably goes to pay whoever transcribes it-but the transcript is then the copyright of AFR, I believe.

It's probably fine to quote a small portion of the transcript with proper attribution, but why would someone need or want to go posting entire podcast transcripts?
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2011, 07:37:07 PM »

SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!!! i can't leave you lot alone for a minute huh???

lolOl if i type it up i will defo send it to the AFR and ask if i can put some of it on here, i know about copyright laws.

This is a review thread, for reviewing AFR podcast talks so, can we get back to that now???

Buncha thread hyjackers lolOl  police

Ok i just reread what i posted and i made it sound like i was going to post the whole lot, i only mean the parts about the Catholischism doctrine, sorry i didn't mean to be misleading on purpose. AND i still mean only with permission of them (because that's where the words come from) and after sending a copy to AFR for them to put on their site as this podcast doesn't have a transcript to it. Which is why i thought i'd do it.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 07:54:14 PM by Poppy » Logged
joasia

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2011, 08:06:57 PM »

Father,  two points:

1) If the work is referenced, is it violating copywright?  There are many Orthodox writers who reference books from other writers to make a point.  That's the whole point of the list of references at the end of the book or in the bottom portion of the page.  It's all referenced.  If a poster references the transcript, it's free advertisement and not using it as their own work.  That's where I think the copywright issue comes in.

2) Priests get paid for their duty to God?  I didn't know it was a profession.  I thought it was a calling.

Poppy, it's all part of the territory.  And now we take you back to our regularly scheduled program..yada yada.   Cool

asdamick
Doctrine matters.

Khouri Al-Imwas

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2011, 08:13:08 PM »

Father,  two points:

1) If the work is referenced, is it violating copywright?  There are many Orthodox writers who reference books from other writers to make a point.  That's the whole point of the list of references at the end of the book or in the bottom portion of the page.  It's all referenced.  If a poster references the transcript, it's free advertisement and not using it as their own work.  That's where I think the copywright issue comes in.

2) Priests get paid for their duty to God?  I didn't know it was a profession.  I thought it was a calling.

Poppy, it's all part of the territory.  And now we take you back to our regularly scheduled program..yada yada.   Cool

1.  Simply referring to a work (e.g., by linking or including the title of a work) is of course not a violation of copyright.  There's also something called "Fair Use" which has fairly strict definitions (e.g., quotations must be brief and not the whole work) for purposes of review, parody, education, etc.  That is also perfectly legal.

2.  It's both.  Not every priest gets paid, but full-time clergy have to live somehow.  If I spend 50+ hours a week working on my parish (which I do), then I won't have much time or energy to work another job to pay the bills.  (That's assuming, of course, that my bishop even gave me a blessing to work another job.)  Many clergy also have pretty extensive training to do what they do—I have a Master's degree that took up three years of my life to earn, and I got it precisely for service in the priesthood.  In any event, I don't see any contradiction between calling and profession.  Both are (literally!) summed up in the word vocation (from Latin vocare, "to call").

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2011, 08:32:43 PM »

I go along with those who have mentioned "Our Life in Christ," "Speaking the Truth in Love," and "Orthodoxy and Heterodoxy." All of these are very informative. They don't seem to make new episodes of "OLIC" anymore, which is too bad, but I think the older episodes are still available. They have episodes about the parts of the liturgy, and the Orthodox style of chant, which can be helpful for those who are new to the Church. "Speaking" has some very interesting Bible study-type shows, and "OAH" I think you've heard some of already.

If you wish, there are also some good conferences listed under "Specials." There you can hear from notable groups within the Church, such as bishops, priests and authors at regional seminars.

In any event, I hope you enjoy the podcasts.   Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2011, 08:37:41 PM »

Indeed, we should also note that out of all the Apostles only Paul and Barnabas worked other jobs, Peter and the rest took their wives (those of them who were married) along with them to the various churches and the churches provided for them-there wasn't anything wrong with this, Paul and Barnabas simply chose not to.
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2011, 08:44:07 PM »

"iSermon"
Fr. Theodore Paraskevopoulos

Short, really pithy sermons. I suppose he's geared more toward young cradles, but I like the episodes I've heard. 8/10
joasia

« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2011, 09:07:24 PM »

Father,  two points:

1.  Simply referring to a work (e.g., by linking or including the title of a work) is of course not a violation of copyright.  There's also something called "Fair Use" which has fairly strict definitions (e.g., quotations must be brief and not the whole work) for purposes of review, parody, education, etc.  That is also perfectly legal.

2.  It's both.  Not every priest gets paid, but full-time clergy have to live somehow.  If I spend 50+ hours a week working on my parish (which I do), then I won't have much time or energy to work another job to pay the bills.  (That's assuming, of course, that my bishop even gave me a blessing to work another job.)  Many clergy also have pretty extensive training to do what they do—I have a Master's degree that took up three years of my life to earn, and I got it precisely for service in the priesthood.  In any event, I don't see any contradiction between calling and profession.  Both are (literally!) summed up in the word vocation (from Latin vocare, "to call").

1.  I agree.
2.  I agree.  Being full time means you still need the income and what better vocation to hold than being a shepherd for God.

akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2011, 09:59:29 PM »

There's also something called "Fair Use" which has fairly strict definitions (e.g., quotations must be brief and not the whole work) for purposes of review, parody, education, etc.  That is also perfectly legal.

Not to detract from what Father is saying here, but please note that the fair use exception is a creature of American law (which may have spread elsewhere by the time I write this) which is by no means universal in the common law world.

Please be very careful before doing anything which might constitute breach of copyright, as the courts take such matters quite seriously (perhaps too much so).

*End continuation of thread hijacking*

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
joasia

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2011, 10:24:51 PM »

There's also something called "Fair Use" which has fairly strict definitions (e.g., quotations must be brief and not the whole work) for purposes of review, parody, education, etc.  That is also perfectly legal.

Not to detract from what Father is saying here, but please note that the fair use exception is a creature of American law (which may have spread elsewhere by the time I write this) which is by no means universal in the common law world.

Please be very careful before doing anything which might constitute breach of copyright, as the courts take such matters quite seriously (perhaps too much so).

Even if I'm in Canada and the source in the US? 

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2011, 01:10:16 AM »

I think this is absolutely needed to be said. You study / practice law (IIRC) and "Americanism" and its understanding of copyright has become a sorta de facto stance taken by many non-Americans.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2011, 01:54:22 AM »

Not really sure what you mean by "typing the whole thing up," but perhaps you might find the book to suit your needs.

Just as a side note, I'm amused at how many folks drop my first name in lieu of my middle.  Smiley

Ok last tangent from "Reviews"

I totally missed the whole BOOK thing. No wonder there isn't a transcript i thought i was being helpfull. I'll get the book, huge mega apolagy.
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2011, 03:02:41 PM »

ROFL, check out the shipping to the UK!!!!

I nearly fell off my chair  Shocked

I am half way through the podcasts now and there so good you should defo get the book.... but only if your in the states!!!!

Wink
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 03:13:04 PM by Poppy » Logged
asdamick
Doctrine matters.

Khouri Al-Imwas

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2011, 03:12:06 PM »

Price: $18:95
Shipping: $29:50
grand total: $48:45

ROFL, check out the shipping to the UK!!!!

I nearly fell off my chair  Shocked

I am half way through the podcasts now and there so good you should defo get the book.... but only if your in the states!!!!

Wink

If you're interested in a signed copy with much cheaper shipping to the UK (I recently shipped to Denmark for about $13), send me a private message.

Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2011, 03:15:27 PM »

Oh sweet!!!!!

Grin
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2011, 07:10:32 AM »

"The Arena"
Father Josiah Trenham

Recordings of his Sunday sermons. He's a really passionate preacher! Some very good stuff. 9/10
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2011, 09:48:12 PM »

That's Not Orthodoxy
by Frederica Matthews-Green

http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/frederica/thats_not_orthodoxy

"Frederica urges us to focus on the truly important aspects of our Orthodox Faith, rather than getting distracted by politics, scandals or gossip."

This is only 12 minutes long but she's really good and it's a interesting point. Probably better to put it on the tube rather than make a podcast of it because it's a bit like a rant but it's a carm rant and shes a bit repetitive but its worth a listen.

6/10
Tags: Ancient Faith Radio  podcasts 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: