OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 08:40:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Icons of Orthodox Saints of the West  (Read 2251 times) Average Rating: 0
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

Pray for me an unworthy sinner

« on: June 22, 2004, 03:28:19 AM »

Ok so does anyone know where I can find good Icons of pre-Schism western saints?  Particularly looking for STs. Gregory the Great (the Dialogiust and Pope of Rome), Patrick, Columcille of Iona, Donald of Scotland, Gregory of Tours, and Ambrose of Milan, however I would very much apreciate info on others as well.

Joe Zollars

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2004, 03:53:50 AM »

This doesn't have to do with Icons of such saints, but when is the cut off? When are they considered saints? Only pre-1054? Or is based on the individual. I mean the Filioque was used in some parts of the west as early as the 5th century, so how has the Orthodox Church dealt with this in the past? I am sure it is a long process, that of glorification, just wondering. Smiley

"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2004, 04:41:02 AM »

well also 1054 is not a universal cut off either.  In England the date is given as norman conquest in 1066.  Now some here are going to talk about the Saxon Orthodox "myth" and just as a forewarning I will not dignify such with a response as it has been sufficiently deliberated over elsewhere and I am ust plum tired of arguing it. Wink

Joe Zollars

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2004, 05:00:09 AM »

When did the Filioque come into use in England?

"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2004, 05:24:01 AM »

Joe, check Holy Transfiguration Monastery, as I know they have the first three you listed.  If you want to buy some icons, I can also suggest a relatively local Orthodox bookstore that specializes in icons of non-hellenic and non-slavonic saints.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
4Truth

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2004, 12:56:09 PM »

Joe,

Here is a link to online icons of numerous pre-Schism saints:

http://www.odox.net/Icons-Western-Saints.htm

(I neither endorse nor slam the website; although I did live for some years where they are located, and knew of some interesting shenanigans.)

Down the page, you will find information links to a number of icon sources.  

The group in Wisconsin (St. Isaac Skete) sells well-crafted icon print reproductions.  Their icons are a good buy, if you find what you like.

In that "good icon" is subjective, to some extent, you can take or leave my remarks about another source listed there -- The Convent of St. Elizabeth.  I once commissioned a copy of an icon that originally was painted by one of the nuns there.  When the icon arrived, months later, I was horrified by its cartoon-like appearance.  I would not order a handpainted icon from them, unless you can locate a satisfied customer to reassure you.  

I hope you find what you want!

4Truth
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2004, 07:18:55 PM »

thanks everyone for the links.  David please do send me the info on that bookstore...

Joe Zollars

spiros

OC.net

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2004, 11:44:19 PM »

Here is another site, with a variety of iconographers, some which are wrting western saints-quality varies between them

http://www.comeandseeicons.com/icons.htm

Official Resident of 5th Century Cyprus
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2004, 01:17:56 AM »

Does anyone still paint them in the proper vesture for their place and period instead of the modern Byzantine or Russian vestments?  I mean even Ephraim the Syrian is not painted in Byzantine Vestments.

Joe Zollars

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2004, 01:20:44 AM »

btw thanks for the link Spiros!

Joe Zollars

David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2004, 01:45:45 AM »

Here you go, Joe:

ST. TIKHON THE TREE DWELLER ORTHODOX BOOKSTORE
(Bookstore for St. Catherine Orthodox Church)
732 New Bridge Road Aiken, South Carolina 29802
e-mail: ebrand@znet.com
Open for Wednesday/Saturday Night Vespers and Sunday mornings
Specializing in Arabic icons and non-Greek/Russian icons
$1 for catalog of Arabic icons in color
c/o Deacon Tikhon the Tree Planter

-Yazid Ibrahim
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2004, 01:46:29 AM »

Looks like they have more of an arabic focus over that of western saints.  I believe they have a good selection of western saints, though, so you may want to email or call.

-Yazid Ibrahim
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2004, 01:50:03 AM »

ok.  Thanks!!

Joe Zollars

David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2004, 01:53:34 AM »

By the way, Deacon Tikhon, the proprietor of said bookshop, is affectionally referred to in these parts as "Deacon Tikhon, the beacon for those that are seekin'"  Smiley

-Yazid Ibrahim
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2004, 01:54:46 AM »

hehe!  sounds like an interesting nikname.

Joe Zollars

Tags: icons bookstore 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: