OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 12:01:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Macbook?  (Read 602 times) Average Rating: 0
John Ward

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Korea

« on: June 24, 2011, 11:55:09 AM »

I'm about to move to Korea in a couple months. Before I do, I plan on buying a new laptop. Planning on buying it around the beginning of October (or sooner if I have the money saved up sooner). I've always liked Macbooks and have been wanting one for some time. But, the price is a little high, depending on what you compare it to. For instance, when compared to a "regular" Windows-based laptop with the same specs, it can cost up to $1000 more, but compared to a high-end laptop (such as business class laptops), it's not bad. Plus, since I'm a student, the end price ended up being a couple hundred dollars lower.

I was just wanting to get some feedback from people out there that might have a Macbook. Is it worth the money? And, how good is the battery? The idea of a built-in battery concerns me a little.

Specifically, I'm looking at either the 15" or 17" Macbook. Not sure which would be better.

Also, does anyone know how MS Office for Mac 2011 is? Since I'm military, I can get it for a very low price and was wondering how it was. Thanks for any info/advice!
TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 10:43:36 PM »

I love my early-2008 MacBook! I just have the 13" base model and it's just fine for me.

Built in battery? I didn't even know MacBooks came with built in batteries! Mine is removable.

And don't bother paying for MS Office for Mac, unless you absolutely need it! LibreOffice is free, open source MS equivalent and it works just fine.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 10:44:31 PM by TheodoraElizabeth3 » Logged
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 10:50:11 PM »

Good luck in Korea.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA - Archdiocese of Canada

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 11:31:03 PM »

At present the only difference between that Macbook and that Windows laptop that is $1,000 cheaper is the OS. They all have the same parts in them. So if you think the OS is worth the money go for it.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 11:55:58 PM »

I vastly prefer our MacBook. The Macbook Pro isn't much different than a standard Macbook other than a more reenforced case. I would never go back to a PC again, ESPECIALLY now with the new windows OS that is often incompatible with many electronics. I am on Facebook and about 2-5 of my 200+ friends are hacked a week on there. The commonality is that they are ALL PC users. I haven't been hacked once.
thefizzle656

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 12:00:19 AM »

My personal recommendation is to anybody is to get Mac over a PC.  I think that Mac OS X is easy to get used to it, and once you do you won't want to go back to Windows.  I myself am still using my Late 2006 17" Macbook Pro and it still runs really well, I have never had any problems with it and my other friends who are still using older MBPs have told me the same, no hardware problems.  Sure they cost more, but I think that the money is well spent because you get a computer that is solidly built, good looking, and has a great OS.  And if you absolutely need Windows for some reason, you can always install it on your MBP via Boot Camp (my brother, who plays PC games, did that).

If you are decided upon getting a Mac, and are just trying to choose between a 15" and a 17", I think you might want to go to an Apple store if there is one close to where you live and see both of the models to compare them.  I know some who say that the 17" is too big, too hard to carry around, etc. but I disagree with them.  I don't think that it is that much bigger and I like having the larger screen but it all comes down to personal preference and how much money you can afford (or want) to spend.
bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 12:01:10 AM »

Apple convert here. I personally do find the OS is worth an extra 1000. When the same people make the hardware and software, the streamlining and seamless integration that's possible is great. And I just think the OS is better, having used Windows since 3.1.

You might want to wait until the next major version, OS 10.7 "Lion" hits. It'll only be $30 to upgrade (it's nice that the "Apple tax" has been lowered so much recently), but you may as well get the upgrade for free. That's supposed to be coming soon although I don't recall the date offhand.

I wasn't aware the MacBooks have built in batteries now. I thought that was only the Air. But then, I haven't been in the market recently. I really doubt it would be an issue for most users (I'm a rather "power user" and ive never needed additional batteries), but it's possible. The Pro certainly would have a replaceable battery.

Unless you're doing video editing or graphic design or the like, the 15" would be fine.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 12:05:50 AM by bogdan » Logged
thefizzle656

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 12:14:06 AM »

You might want to wait until the next major version, OS 10.7 "Lion" hits. It'll only be $30 to upgrade (it's nice that the "Apple tax" has been lowered so much recently), but you may as well get the upgrade for free. That's supposed to be coming soon although I don't recall the date offhand.

I wasn't aware the MacBooks have built in batteries now. I thought that was only the Air. But then, I haven't been in the market recently. I really doubt it would be an issue for most users (I'm a rather "power user" and ive never needed additional batteries), but it's possible. The Pro certainly would have a replaceable battery.

You can double check it, but I think that Apple announced in early June that anybody who buys an Apple computer from now until the release of Lion in July will get a free upgrade. 

And as for the battery, I know that since 2008 all Apple laptops have built-in batteries and are not supposed to be user-replaceable, and as such you should never leave your laptop pulled in because it shortens the battery's life.  Of course a person could open up the computer and replace the battery if necessary but that would void the warranty.
John Ward

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 05:40:42 AM »

Thank you all! Well, I went to Best Buy and played with the 13" and 15". The more I thought about it and what I want to do, the 17" is out of the question. I need something easy to carry around a lot and I'm trying to avoid my normal action of spending money on things I don't need. The 13" seems to work, but it's difficult to tell in that limited time and without being able to use it on my lap, etc. So, after seeing some posts online about it and what people had recommended to them by Apple Store employees, I contacted Apple to find out their return policy, being upfront that, if the 13" didn't work, how hard would it be to return it and get a bigger one. She said that was no problem as long as it's within 14 days. No restocking fee or anything.

So, I ordered the 13" Macbook Pro. I'll give it the two weeks and see how it feels. If the screen size feels too cluttered, then I'll return it and get the 15". Mostly, I'll be using it for school, being on the internet when I don't fell like sitting at a desk, maybe a little programming and movies on the long flights (which I'll have a bit of them in the next couple years between Korea and Indiana). The only thing that worries me on that screen will be the programming, but, truthfully, I'm not sure how much I'll be doing that unless I decide to take programming classes, after all.

My last laptop was a 14" and I had no problems, whatsoever. I tend to only do one thing at a time and I don't like having a bunch of programs open. As for the battery, the only time I'll be really concerned is those long flights, but I found something for about $150 that you can plug into to give you more battery time, which will work great.

As for Office for Mac. I can get it for $10 (woohoo HUP!), so the cost is definitely worth it if it works well since, while most of the time, compatibility works well between basic documents, having the actual thing will make it easier. I found the press release from Apple about Lion being a free upgrade so I'm covered there.

To biro: Thank you! I'm greatly looking forward to it. It's my second time there and I loved it the first time. I'm only an hour from Seoul, so going to Liturgy is very easy (take the train, make one transfer and it drops me off at the bottom of the hill that the Church is at).
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 07:33:28 AM »

I've dropped my Macbook from a height of six feet or higher three times open and while running; it has a small dent in the aluminum.

My last iBook went through the grinder. Traveled over many continents. In a bag on my bike, that I probably crashed a few times. Etc.

I don't buy electronics and baby them. Macs hold up a lot better than any PC I've ever seen and if you are comfortable with Unix the OS a Mac is way better.

Everything I buy has to pass the: if I shuck it 10 feet, I am really afraid of being broken.

That why I have a Blackberry and none of the iPhone of Droid garbage out there. They are toys for people who use electronics like jewelry.

And no Macbook is a $1000 more than a comparable PC. They are rather competitive if you look at a PC that is actually similar in build and components.

It might be a few hundred more, which over the course of 5+ years, my iBook from 2001 is still going despite the pounding I've given it, it ain't much.

Don't go with the 15". It is a waste. Anything that requires real real estate, you will be using a few extra monitors for. You will get used to the 13" and it weighs less and travels much better.

Do get Apple Care.

Best of luck!

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
John Ward

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 07:53:35 AM »

I've dropped my Macbook from a height of six feet or higher three times open and while running; it has a small dent in the aluminum.

My last iBook went through the grinder. Traveled over many continents. In a bag on my bike, that I probably crashed a few times. Etc.

I don't buy electronics and baby them. Macs hold up a lot better than any PC I've ever seen and if you are comfortable with Unix the OS a Mac is way better.

Everything I buy has to pass the: if I shuck it 10 feet, I am really afraid of being broken.

That why I have a Blackberry and none of the iPhone of Droid garbage out there. They are toys for people who use electronics like jewelry.

And no Macbook is a $1000 more than a comparable PC. They are rather competitive if you look at a PC that is actually similar in build and components.

It might be a few hundred more, which over the course of 5+ years, my iBook from 2001 is still going despite the pounding I've given it, it ain't much.

Don't go with the 15". It is a waste. Anything that requires real real estate, you will be using a few extra monitors for. You will get used to the 13" and it weighs less and travels much better.

Do get Apple Care.

Best of luck!

That's what my thinking was. While in Korea, I'll be walking everywhere and, based on what job I'm supposed to have there, I'll take my Macbook with me to do schoolwork when there's nothing to do, which just depends on the day. I've heard that about the AppleCare and did get it. I quoted some of the PC's I was looking at and did get to around the same prices, not more than a couple hundred more.

I'm pretty comfortable with UNIX and that design. I've been using Linux off and on for about 12 years or so. I had the same line of thinking about the screen. For heavier stuff, I'll be using my desktop so, as long as I can write papers and such, the 13" should be enough. I'm just grateful that I have a "grace period" to play with it and make sure it works. I know the weight isn't much, but the 15" did seem heavier. Maybe it was just bulkier, not sure, but the 13" felt better.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: