OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 04:39:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So now, this is a real silly question  (Read 1736 times) Average Rating: 0
casisthename

Faith: Converting to Orthodoxy

« on: June 24, 2011, 11:11:03 AM »

Hey guys,

So in the past I had been kindly asked by the pastor at my parents church not to ride my crotch rocket (it's a motorcycle) to church. I'm not real sure why. I think maybe he thought it created a distraction for some of the youth group. I obliged since the church is close enough to my folks home that I could just walk if necessary. And he was very polite and kind about it. Thing is I don't have a car and the closest Orthodox Church is a few miles away and requires going on roads that aren't safe to walk on. Is there any reason ya'll can think of that would make riding it to church not the best choice? Especially, since I'm a visitor and don't want to bother anybody.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 11:17:52 AM »

I honestly cannot see any reason why you can't go to this new parish you're visiting on your bike.  Perhaps your old pastor had personal reasons, but I know of at least one Orthodox priest who rides.  He certainly wouldn't have a problem with you visiting on your bike!  He'd probably want to talk shop with you afterwards!

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 11:19:35 AM »

Hah, you should totally come to my church. My priest would love you.  Grin

Were you roaring into the parking lot after services started or something? I have no idea why he would object to that.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 11:19:52 AM »

So do you ride your motorcycle to that Orthodox church? What does the priest there say?

My first thought was that it doesn't sound as though your parents' pastor is too interested in having you around at all.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 11:22:02 AM »

I think maybe he thought it created a distraction for some of the youth group.
Tell him that if his sermons were more interesting, he wouldn't have to worry about distractions!

Oh snap! (I'm just kidding. Absolutely do not say that. Wink)

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 11:22:50 AM »

I know of several priests that ride Hogs, so I don't see why it should be a problem.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
casisthename

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 11:23:48 AM »

Um no,  some of high school guys would be sitting in the parking lot checking out the bike and other peoples trucks and tractors instead of going to Sunday school. Keep in mind my folks are not Orthodox so I'm visiting the church by myself. Only been there once. It's how I figured out walking wasn't a good plan.
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 11:25:02 AM »

I can't think of any reasons - except to be sure and refer to it as a motorcycle and not the other appellation.

Oh, and I guess you'll have to come early for Matins too, since you wouldn't want to disturb anyone by roaring up during the service!

Grin

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
casisthename

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 11:27:07 AM »

I know of several priests that ride Hogs, so I don't see why it should be a problem.

*eye twitches* Now, as a bike enthusiast I have to inform you that a Hog is a Harley Davidson. So, a crotch rocket is not a hog. It's quite the opposite. Ok back to Orthodoxy.  
casisthename

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 11:29:56 AM »

I think maybe he thought it created a distraction for some of the youth group.
Tell him that if his sermons were more interesting, he wouldn't have to worry about distractions!

Oh snap! (I'm just kidding. Absolutely do not say that. Wink)

Oh it's ok my kid sister handled that one. She told him the reason her sermon report always says "Today's gospel taught about how Jesus loves....*insert other Biblical figure here*" is because she never understands the sermons and they go so long she can't pay attention.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 11:31:02 AM »

*eye twitches* Now, as a bike enthusiast I have to inform you that a Hog is a Harley Davidson. So, a crotch rocket is not a hog. It's quite the opposite. Ok back to Orthodoxy.  

I dunno... There might be a canon against riding anything other than a Harley... or if there's not, there should be!  Yet another important topic to be brought to the attention the upcoming Pan-Orthodox Synod.   angel

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
casisthename

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 11:34:42 AM »

I dunno... There might be a canon against riding anything other than a Harley... or if there's not, there should be!  Yet another important topic to be brought to the attention the upcoming Pan-Orthodox Synod.   angel

Hi, my name is Cassie and I'm a bike enthusiast who does not like hogs.
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 11:41:41 AM »

Hi, my name is Cassie and I'm a bike enthusiast who does not like hogs.

I'm a scooterist, myself, so you are in good company. Smiley

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

Ask w/ tears, seek w/ obedience, knock w/ patience

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 11:42:59 AM »

My go-ped beats you all.

Authentic zeal is not directed towards anything but union in Christ, or against anything but our own fallenness.

"Beardliness is next to Godliness."- Asteriktos
John Ward

Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Korea

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2011, 11:47:30 AM »

I can still remember, when I was a kid, we had a guy at my parish that rode his bike to Church. He had the vest, long hair, boots and all that to go with it. Also, I saw this the other day and thought it was pretty neat:

http://chicago.goarch.org/journal/2011/5/7/4th-annual-motorcycle-blessing.html

I wish I still had my bike. Sad Hopefully, I'll be getting another one when I get back from my couple years in Korea!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 11:48:05 AM by John Ward » Logged
casisthename

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2011, 11:49:52 AM »

My go-ped beats you all.

....I'll be nice and leave that alone.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2011, 11:52:15 AM »

laugh

I know a few people at my Church who also ride motorcycles and the like to Church, never bothered me.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
casisthename

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2011, 11:52:43 AM »

I can still remember, when I was a kid, we had a guy at my parish that rode his bike to Church. He had the vest, long hair, boots and all that to go with it. Also, I saw this the other day and thought it was pretty neat:

I wish I still had my bike. Sad Hopefully, I'll be getting another one when I get back from my couple years in Korea!

That is definatley going on the list of things to go to asap if there's not another one held closer to me
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2011, 12:16:00 PM »

I'm hoping to get an old school Bobber of some sort when I return from Afghanistan (mainly because of how cheap they are). It will be my first bike and a bunch of my army buddies and I are thinking about getting these bikes, making our own group, and traveling down to Pcola for some biker event down there.

Getting back on topic, best to ask ones priest if it would be ok to ride to church. My priest actually went out and asked the mowers to quit mowing during vespers, so I guess it would be ok before services. Just make sure that you don't have to leave early...

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
joasia

Jurisdiction: RTOC

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2011, 06:39:32 PM »

Park it down the street and walk a block.  Problem solved.

Stillness,  prayer, love and self-control are a four-horsed chariot bearing the intellect to Heaven. (Philokalia 2: p.308 - #24) - St. Thalassios

The proper activity of the intellect is to be attentive at every moment to the words of God.   (Philokalia 2: p. 308 - # 30) - St. Thalassios
Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2011, 07:57:16 PM »

Or, depending on the city, bike stolen.
joasia

Jurisdiction: RTOC

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2011, 08:03:30 PM »

Or, depending on the city, bike stolen.

Doesn't he have to park in the street in other places?

Stillness,  prayer, love and self-control are a four-horsed chariot bearing the intellect to Heaven. (Philokalia 2: p.308 - #24) - St. Thalassios

The proper activity of the intellect is to be attentive at every moment to the words of God.   (Philokalia 2: p. 308 - # 30) - St. Thalassios
Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2011, 08:06:28 PM »

The church might have a parking lot. Again, depends on the city.
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2011, 08:29:08 PM »

My sponsor and I once visited a Church and afterwards conversed with someone who rode a cool-looking motorcycle.  We thought it was nifty, and the priest thought it was fine.  If you ride your motorcycle again, remember not to go down the Eucharist aisle and pop wheelies.  Now THAT could be a distraction.  police
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2011, 08:48:36 PM »

I know the difference between the two, thank you. Wink

I don't know any priests that ride *ahem*, Kawasaki's and the like (not fond of putting the word "priest" and "crotch rocket" in the same sentence). However I don't see why riding a motorcycle of any make or model to Church should be an issue.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2011, 09:42:31 PM »

Marc Hanna
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox - Coptic/Armenian
Jurisdiction: Canada

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2011, 11:15:07 PM »

I have a motorcycle and it is loud.  I drive it to church in nice weather and it's never been a problem.  Mind you I'm often one of the first people there, so no one gets the opportunity to hear it until I leave.

Here she is:

I tuck my tunia(stocharion) and badrasheen(orarion) in my jacket to carry them.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 11:17:58 PM by Marc Hanna » Logged
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2011, 12:28:45 AM »

Lambrettas or vintage Vespas per chance?

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Russell

Jurisdiction: Baptised Russian Orthodox

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2011, 12:36:27 PM »

If noise is the issue couldnt you just kill the engine and coast in?

Our priest has no problems with me riding the motorcycle to church. 

Mathe 24:36
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2011, 02:54:27 PM »

Lambrettas or vintage Vespas per chance?

I rode vintage Vespas in my college years (my 6'5" frame just doesn't fit on a Lammy) but they were always my friends' bikes.  My wife recently expressed interest in getting one for smaller trips around the city...this coming from a woman who when we were dating was against the idea of motorized bikes altogether.  We picked up a Buddy 50 and she's taken to it and I've found my legs again, so I'll be getting a bike for myself once we save up a bit.  I'm looking at the Stella (made by Genuine Scooter Co.) which just came out with a 4T version but keeps the classic vintage styling of a late 60s Vespa. 

Of course, I'm already starting to kit out the Buddy 50 to tide me over until I get my own. Smiley  Once a tinkerer, always a tinkerer!

akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2011, 12:34:19 AM »

Sounds like confusing conservatism, lack of edge and straight-lacedness for Christianity -- one of my pet hates.

I especially hate it when "causing my brother to stumble" is invoked to prohibit basically anything because some person, some where might be scandalised by something completely neutral, if not positive.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2011, 12:36:49 AM »

Sanity prevails.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2011, 12:38:28 AM »

"causing my brother to stumble"

Brother Akimori,

In future, could you please be a little more sensitive. This phrase has caused many people to stumble.

Thanks.

orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2011, 12:41:49 AM »

my 6'5" frame

Schultzi!

Oh the fun we cudda had back my drinking days! How much weight do you carry around on that frame?

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: