OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 09:54:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Banal liturgies 'drove Anglicans away' [from RCC]: ex-Anglican theologian  (Read 1542 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: June 24, 2011, 06:59:01 AM »

The Anglican patrimony of the new ordinariates due in Australia next year will likely enhance the liturgical culture of the post-conciliar Catholic Church, leading Australian theologian Tracey Rowland said. In November 2009, Pope Benedict announced his decision to erect personal ordinariates (non-geographical dioceses) for former Anglicans who wanted to enter into full communion with Rome while preserving liturgical and other elements of their Anglican heritage, including a certain amount of governing by consensus.

Dr Rowland, the author of Ratzinger’s Faith: the Theology of Pope Benedict XVI and Benedict XVI: A Guide for the Perplexed, said many commentators have observed an affinity between the Anglo-Catholic approaches to liturgy and the Pope’s own liturgical theology. “In particular, (Pope Benedict) is very concerned about what he has variously described as ‘parish tea party’ liturgy, ‘pastoral pragmatism’, ‘emotional primitivism’, ‘Sacro-pop’ and ‘utility music’ [in Roman Catholic parishes],” Dr Rowland told an Anglican Ordinariate Festival in Melbourne on 11 June.

Dr Rowland, a former Anglican, said that, in her personal experience, the barriers to full communion with the Catholic Church are primarily cultural rather than doctrinal. “They have been reluctant to seek full membership of the Catholic Church because of a not unreasonable belief that they would have to abandon whole elements of their Anglican cultural heritage,” Dr Rowland said. “It is precisely this problem Pope Benedict hopes the creation of an ordinariate will overcome.

“Many of my Anglican friends have long held that, for them, the major barrier to their return to full communion with the Catholic Church is precisely the banality of [Roman Catholic] parish liturgies.”
Perhaps the influx of Anglicans into the Catholic Church, will lead to more dignified liturgy, which would in turn make Catholic-Orthodox union that much more likely. In that sense, Anglicanism would serve as a bridge for the union of the Latins and the Orthodox.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 07:00:23 AM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 04:27:39 PM »

I, for one, would be happy if all they did was eliminate Marty Haugen songs.  Tongue

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 04:37:12 PM »

This was in the past.  Now that former Anglicans will be given their own ordinariate and liturgical usage, they need not worry about exposure to such things.

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
bogdan
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 05:00:44 PM »

the barriers to full communion with the Catholic Church are primarily cultural rather than doctrinal

This is problematic to me. I truly don't understand the minds that say culture trumps doctrine, or is at least an overriding factor. And based on the people I know (in real life) it seems Anglo-Catholics are the ones who always have this mindset.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 05:01:24 PM by bogdan » Logged
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 11:37:39 PM »

This is problematic to me. I truly don't understand the minds that say culture trumps doctrine, or is at least an overriding factor. And based on the people I know (in real life) it seems Anglo-Catholics are the ones who always have this mindset.
My thoughts exactly. And from my experience it's mainly the gay Anglo-Catholics who believe it's all about the robes, incense and pageantry.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 11:38:58 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 08:44:45 AM »

My thoughts exactly. And from my experience it's mainly the gay Anglo-Catholics who believe it's all about the robes, incense and pageantry.

You know, I have never thought about that until I just read it, and I think I have to agree with you! Interesting indeed!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Poppy
OC.net guru

Faith: Muslim
Jurisdiction: Hanbali fiqh

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 09:22:11 AM »

from my experience it's mainly the gay Anglo-Catholics who believe it's all about the robes, incense and pageantry.

lolOl wow theres a suprise!!!
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 10:20:28 AM »

You know, I have never thought about that until I just read it, and I think I have to agree with you! Interesting indeed!

And just another observation I have is that, at least here in Australia, it is the gay Anglo-Catholics who (counterintuitively) are the most frequent and loudest opponents to the ordination of women in the Anglican Church.

WetCatechumen
Roman Catholic
Elder

Faith: Catholic Christianity
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite - Archdiocese of Santa Fe; Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Phoenix

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 06:36:57 PM »

And just another observation I have is that, at least here in Australia, it is the gay Anglo-Catholics who (counterintuitively) are the most frequent and loudest opponents to the ordination of women in the Anglican Church.
Male homosexuals tend to be misogynistic in my own limited experience.

"And because they have nothing better to do, they take cushion and chairs to Rome. And while the Pope is saying liturgy, they go, 'Oh, oh, oh, filioque!' And the Pope say, 'Filioque? That-uh sound nice! I think I divide-uh the Church over it!'" - Comrade Real Presence
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 06:49:46 PM »

This was in the past.  Now that former Anglicans will be given their own ordinariate and liturgical usage, they need not worry about exposure to such things.

Since people are increasingly more mobile and are willing to relocate to find a better job, Anglican converts to Catholicism could find themselves in an area where only the Novus Ordo is served because of the reluctance of some Catholic Bishops to authorize the Traditional Mass or have an Anglican Catholic Mass available.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 07:17:22 PM »

Uh, no.

1. Bishops do not need to "authorize" celebrations in the traditional Roman rite. And they can't forbid it either. Rome has been crystal clear on this.

2. The Anglican Catholics will not be under Roman-rite bishops, they will have their own jurisdictions and their own Ordinaries. Roman-rite bishops will have nothing to do with the Anglican Catholic liturgical books. Anglican Catholics will be able to celebrate the A-C liturgy or either form of the Roman rite, their choice.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 07:22:45 PM »

Male homosexuals tend to be misogynistic in my own limited experience.
Yes, a number have asked me "don't you find women deformed?" Fewer discussions are as hillarious as gay men discussing lesbianism, and lesbians discussing male gay sex.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
MarkosC

Faith: Patriarchate of Antioch
Jurisdiction: Greek/Melkite Catholic

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2011, 08:02:15 PM »

Those who know Anglicanism/ECUSA service books can correct me.....

... but my impression from the latest books (and from a few days hanging out with a decidedly low/broad church ECUSA priest) is that they allow the pastor extremely wide berth to put in what s/he wants.  So that while many "banal" things are objectively wrong according to the current Latin Catholic books (1970 missal and GIRM), much (all?) of those same things could be considered legitimate in the ECUSA. 

If so, I don't see why (what one person considers) banal liturgy is the problem.  If there is a problem, seems to be that it's a matter of celebrant's (and the laity's) knowledge of how to (and willingness to) properly worship God.   

(For my part, almost the only Anglican liturgies I've seen were under the 1662 BCP or Ordinariate BDW, and I think that, in terms of liturgical culture, they're far better than (both) the other presently available Latin Catholic liturgies)

Markos

O Lord although I desired to blot out
with my tears the handwriting of my many sins
And for the rest of my life to please Thee
through sincere repentance
Yet doth the enemy lead me astray as he wareth
against my sould with his cunning

O Lord before I utterly perish do Thou save me!
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2011, 09:03:18 PM »

I, for one, would be happy if all they did was eliminate Marty Haugen songs.  Tongue

Surprisingly, I discovered at one funeral that Haugen isn't all that bad if you power it up with a monster Lutheran organ and a 120 voice choir.
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2011, 09:19:39 PM »

If there's one hymn the Anglicans in Australia need to drop its "I'll Be A Sunbeam".

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2011, 11:05:16 PM »

Keble: well, okay then.   Smiley 

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2011, 11:11:45 PM »

Markos, it is true that the 1979 book says "may" or "on occasion" at nearly every possible opportunity. About the only things that are absolutely fixed in the eucharistic liturgy are the reading of the gospel, saying the creed on Sundays, and the anamnesis (if you aren't in Rite III you are stuck with a specific eucharistic prayer text as well). The way nearly everyone interpreted this for the first twenty years was to ignore all the options and do exactly what the book says, no "mays" or "on occasions", except most places have some eccentricity which they doggedly maintain regardless of what the book says. One should also note that Anglican books tend to say very little about manual acts (e.g. pre-1979 books only spell out exactly how the elements were to be handled during the consecration-- instructions which, BTW, were in the end widely ignored). There are parallel manuals of usage which tend to correspond to various churchmanships (e.g. Michno is the current high/broad church standard).

The flip side of this is that the general rule has always been "decently and in order". Excepting the occasional clown or jerk, in ECUSA the expectation is that whatever you do, it is to be done with solemnity and seriousness. Mechanical rattling off of the liturgy is frowned upon; if you do the liturgy fast, you really need to try to not make it sound rushed. (There are normal options one can take to speed things up at various points, for instance.) None of this is in the texts, of course, and that's really where the difference has lain. In my opinion, the 1979 texts are better written than the RC equivalents, but the real difference is the manner in which they are used.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2011, 11:49:58 PM »

Earlier I said the Anglican Catholics "will" have their own jurisdictions and ordinaries. Well, in Britain that is already the case: here is the Reverend Monsignor Keith Newton, Protonotary Apostolic, and Ordinary of the Personal Ordinariate of Our Lady of Walsingham.

The Ordinariates in Canada, Australia, and the United States are expected to be formally established late in 2011 or early 2012.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 11:50:23 PM by lubeltri » Logged
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2011, 08:55:28 AM »

Is it safe to say that Anglicans have a Pope, now?

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: