OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 28, 2014, 09:19:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Convert Suffering From Convert-itis  (Read 5690 times) Average Rating: 0
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #90 on: June 29, 2011, 06:03:31 PM »

There is a widespread witness now, and still nothing like Mother Seton in Orthodoxy nor anywhere in the world.

So?  There are modern female Saints in the Orthodox Faith who didn't accomplish what St. Elizabeth Ann Seton accomplished in a nascent Roman Catholic Church in the USA.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #91 on: June 29, 2011, 06:06:01 PM »

We don't have an equivalent to Pope Gregory VII. I think that's a very good thing.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
pasadi97
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #92 on: June 29, 2011, 06:10:41 PM »

Let me repeat.

Jesus came in year 33 and brought to humanity entrance to heaven through baptism and eternal life through Holy Communion and erasing sins through confession and .... many more. The sick angel started the contrarevolution at the beginning by modifying sacraments thus MAYBE sending more to Hell and in the end by renouncing sacraments and naming the new organizations Churches To lure people to new organizations he did the visible Christian works while raising barricades to Eastern Orthodoxy. Many Protestant denominations do so much good however by renouncing baptism its members are sent to Hell so in the end is devil victorious or Jesus? Do you see how much evil is in modyfying the sacraments or renouncing them and I don't blame people for this?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 06:23:46 PM by pasadi97 » Logged
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #93 on: June 29, 2011, 06:11:15 PM »

Angels comming to sing to orthodox Holy Liturgy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEAgEJqsp0o&feature=channel_video_title
Would they sing to something bad?
Sounds like a bag full of cats, I would expect angels to not be so ear-piercing... but what do I know...

To repeat someone's comment on the video, has this ever been analyzed by Church authorities?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 06:11:30 PM by Volnutt » Logged
pasadi97
High Elder

« Reply #94 on: June 29, 2011, 06:22:07 PM »

Lets pray for Romano Catholics to come to sacraments like in Early Church and for Protestantism to put back sacraments and both to join the Church established by Jesus.

We love Mexicans. Maybe Holy Communion with unleavened bread will not harm them too much, when apostles gave Holy Communion with both wine and leavened bread. Maybe this will not stole their eternal life like probably in Protestantism that had renounced Holy Communion all together. I think it is good for you to want to do good. Congratulations.

I think I have several movies in orthodoxy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkZwPgirvv8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJHRCZUul7s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztq8-Foit-c
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 06:56:18 PM by pasadi97 » Logged
pasadi97
High Elder

« Reply #95 on: June 29, 2011, 07:26:29 PM »

In a hypotetical world in which Mother Teresa would be muslim and all the people you love would be muslims, would you become muslim.

I am asking because you don't love these people because they fought for the right belief and Sacraments but because they fed people which muslims cand do too
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 07:34:36 PM by pasadi97 » Logged
Nero

« Reply #96 on: June 29, 2011, 07:44:58 PM »

I've never seen any Orthodox Hospitals in America, nothing like the Christian Brothers of St Jean Baptiste de la Salle who are brothers who teach in schools as part of their calling in Orthodoxy, no big presence of Orthodox in my ancestral country Mexico, not even in my mother's city of Monterrey, a city as large or larger than Greater Boston is there an Orthodox Church. There is no Orthodox St Josemaria Escriva or anything like Opus Dei. The fruits of Catholicism are immense and one cannot deny them. Where is the Orthodox Mother St Elizabeth Seton who pioneered Catholic parochial schools when Catholicism was so small in America? If St Jean Baptiste de la Salle, St Josemaria Escriva, St Elizabeth Ann Seton, St Francis de Sales, St Giuseppe Moscati, St. Juan Diego, Blessed Miguel Pro, the martyrs of Mexico during the Mexican Revolution, Blessed Isidore Bakanja, St. Josephin Bakhita of Sudan, Mother Teresa of Calcutta, St Dominic Savio (where is the Orthodox him?) and et al are somewhere that is where I want to be.

There have been scores of holy people in Orthodox-dominated countries - you don't see that though, because orthodoxy is not the biggest on the statistics here. Instead Roman Catholicism is the largest denomination, and therefore, they get more publicity.

There are Orthodox in Mexico, and Orthodox charities - research Project Mexico, which is building homes for poor and running an orphanage in Tijuana.

Opus Dei, btw, is commonly referred to as a cult. I had a great, intelligent, easy-going Catholic friend who got involved with them, and was mentally never the same.
Nero

« Reply #97 on: June 29, 2011, 07:58:25 PM »

Also, I don't mean to judge at all, but you should make sure that the reasons you want to leave Orthodoxy / rejoin Catholicism are large, serious problems and not small inconveniences. Above all, be honest to yourself. Saying "Well I see more social work in Catholicism, and the parish is closer, so I can't be orthodox now, and I'm completely justified in going back to Catholicism because it couldn't be any other way" may be deceiving yourself. People do this with other issues in order to justify immoral actions (I know I have in the past). But in the end, you will truly know if what you're doing is right or just making an excuse.

I'm in the process of converting to Orthodoxy because I do believe it is the true religion and where I can grow the most in Christ. I've been making excuses for why I should stay in Catholicism because it would be easier than converting: "Oh, this woman said I'd make a great Priest. I should stay Catholic" - "How would I tell all my friends and parishioners that I'm leaving their religion?" - "It would be so much easier if I went to Catholic seminary, because the parish would pay for it. I should stay Catholic." But in the end I know that none of these matter. Christ is everything.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 08:04:54 PM by Nero » Logged
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #98 on: June 29, 2011, 09:27:17 PM »

I'm in the process of converting to Orthodoxy because I do believe it is the true religion and where I can grow the most in Christ. I've been making excuses for why I should stay in Catholicism because it would be easier than converting: "Oh, this woman said I'd make a great Priest. I should stay Catholic" - "How would I tell all my friends and parishioners that I'm leaving their religion?" - "It would be so much easier if I went to Catholic seminary, because the parish would pay for it. I should stay Catholic." But in the end I know that none of these matter. Christ is everything.
I just want to say, I admire your bravery and dedication to Christ.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 09:27:38 PM by Volnutt » Logged
Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #99 on: June 29, 2011, 11:56:09 PM »

Sounds like a bag full of cats,
laugh  laugh   laugh laugh  laugh   laugh laugh  laugh
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #100 on: June 30, 2011, 12:15:06 AM »

Justin, http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,37506.msg593287/boardseen.html#new
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 12:15:18 AM by Volnutt » Logged
thefizzle656

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #101 on: June 30, 2011, 12:31:14 AM »

Sounds like a bag full of cats, I would expect angels to not be so ear-piercing... but what do I know...

To repeat someone's comment on the video, has this ever been analyzed by Church authorities?

The is the first time that I have ever heard that recording.  After the first ten seconds or so I had to turn it off, for some reason listening to it makes me feel incredibly uneasy, it is really quite eerie.  As someone else said, angels aren't the only ones who can sing in empty churches...
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #102 on: June 30, 2011, 12:42:05 AM »

I just read that Monachos thread actually.

I'd rather believe it's a hoax than that Mount Athos is haunted lol. But yeah, it's a bit weird.
thefizzle656

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #103 on: June 30, 2011, 12:47:10 AM »

Except for that Monachos.net thread I couldn't find anything else related to the recording.  It could certainly be a hoax, whatever it is I don't think that it is legit.  It would be easy for anybody these days to take a recording and mess around with it on their own computer.  But I wasn't talking about "ghosts", I meant demons. 
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #104 on: June 30, 2011, 12:55:27 AM »

Except for that Monachos.net thread I couldn't find anything else related to the recording.  It could certainly be a hoax, whatever it is I don't think that it is legit.  It would be easy for anybody these days to take a recording and mess around with it on their own computer.
It is, yes. I found a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N01uDWa_1DI Supposed to this popular Greek singer singing the melody, which is apparently just the Cherubic Hymn in Greek... so who knows if the videos are really related lol.

But I wasn't talking about "ghosts", I meant demons. 
Me too. The word haunted can be used interchangeably.
pasadi97
High Elder

« Reply #105 on: June 30, 2011, 07:39:14 AM »

I can not throw rocks since I was in a similar dilema. Comming to US and seeing the amount of work Protestantism does with poor i did think God is in Protestantism and I reasoned if God is in Protestantism what am I doing in Orthodoxy.

However for conversion I was not sure which one of 30 000 or I don't know how many denominations is best, so I was not sure where is the truth. You can not believe in the same time that babies can be baptised , and can not be baptised as truth. You have to decide. You can not believe in the same time that Saturday is rest day and Sunday is error and at the same time believe that Sunday is the rest day and Saturday is not.

So I had trouble discerning THE TRUTH. So I prayed to God. And a tought came saying, Eastern orthodox Church is best path to salvation and this is why I am sending Holy Light there. So I knew at that moment where the truth is and I did not convert anymore.

The falacy I did was not knowing the value of Sacraments that would give a place in heaven and give back eternal life and that I was looking for visible signs instead of looking for important thing. 

Jesus is SAVIOR because he brought the sacraments. Is not that before Jesus people did not do feeding the poor. They did. Is not that people did not have wisdom before that. Have you read Solomon, Ecleziste? They had wisdom. OHoooo, read Solomon and see trucks of wisdom. Oceans of wisdom. That was not enough .

JESUS IS SAVIOR BECAUSE HE OPEN THE PATH TO HEAVEN THROUGH BAPTISM.

St John Chrysostom says, that BEFORE JESUS HEAVEN WAS CLOSED FOR 5000 YEARS.

Was Heaven closed because Isaiah did not feed the poor. Because King David was not righteous and because King solomon was not wise? NO. BECAUSE BAPTISM DID NOT EXIST. BECAUSE THE SAVIOR DID NOT COME.  When Church name Jesus as Savior , is because Jesus is savior from Hell and DEATHHHHHH.

Yes God is what it matters and taking the valid sacraments too. Any time that challanges appear , pray to God to find a solution for you and to give you what you miss, like fellowship and others.

Is it wise to renounce DIAMOND sacraments for felowship, good work and good books and wisdom? NO.
Is it wise to trade entrance to Heaven and Eternal Life for felowship, good work and good books and wisdom? NO.
MAY GOD FORBID US FROM DOING THIS AND PROTECT US FROM DOING THIS. FROM LOSING BEST SACRAMENTS IN THE ENTIRE WORLD.
Please think again. One King would give sacks of gold for ONE HOUR OF LIFE. What can you put that could equal ETERNAL LIFE given to you by HOly COmmunion?

One King would give sacks of gold for several hours of eternal life. Protestantism renounced hours, days, years, tens, hundreds,infinite number of years for his people and how evil is this and helping the poor would make Protestantism right?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 07:57:28 AM by pasadi97 » Logged
pasadi97
High Elder

« Reply #106 on: June 30, 2011, 08:30:07 AM »

God was with Adam, Abraham, Isaiah, King David, God was in Judaism and God is where two people pray in the name of Jesus. God can be in many religions.

So to say God is in this religion, this does not make the religion best.

If you are interested in HEAVEN and ETERNAL LIFE, God gave to you the sacraments. So lets suppose God is in 10 religions and one religion has good sacraments what help can you have if you are in this life in fellowship of God and then removed from God in hell in the other life because of lack of sacraments?
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #107 on: June 30, 2011, 09:24:32 AM »

I've never seen any Orthodox Hospitals in America, nothing like the Christian Brothers of St Jean Baptiste de la Salle who are brothers who teach in schools as part of their calling in Orthodoxy, no big presence of Orthodox in my ancestral country Mexico, not even in my mother's city of Monterrey, a city as large or larger than Greater Boston is there an Orthodox Church. There is no Orthodox St Josemaria Escriva or anything like Opus Dei. The fruits of Catholicism are immense and one cannot deny them. Where is the Orthodox Mother St Elizabeth Seton who pioneered Catholic parochial schools when Catholicism was so small in America? If St Jean Baptiste de la Salle, St Josemaria Escriva, St Elizabeth Ann Seton, St Francis de Sales, St Giuseppe Moscati, St. Juan Diego, Blessed Miguel Pro, the martyrs of Mexico during the Mexican Revolution, Blessed Isidore Bakanja, St. Josephin Bakhita of Sudan, Mother Teresa of Calcutta, St Dominic Savio (where is the Orthodox him?) and et al are somewhere that is where I want to be.

Ever heard of the Ottoman Empire? Communism?

Look, if you want to be RC, be RC. But you know so little about Orthodoxy, that you are probably not able to make an informed decision.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #108 on: June 30, 2011, 09:26:04 AM »

You all sit there and criticize but do nothing. How Pharisaical!

Pot, meet kettle.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #109 on: June 30, 2011, 01:58:15 PM »

My response:

Grand Duchess Elizabeth, the Russian New Martyr. But then, I doubt the OP has even heard of her.

Or the three nuns at the Rafael Ayau orphanage in Guatemala, who are raising children with the orphanage as their home since the Guatemala government now forbids foreign adoptions. These nuns were Catholic, but converted to Orthodoxy some years back. They not only became Orthodox and began running the orphanage at the same time, but as their bishop said, they also established the Orthodox Church's presence in Guatemala. Doubt OP has heard of this either.

Or FOCUS North America, an pan-Orthodox charitable group which has chapters throughout the country and is helping people long-term, rather than just a bed and a meal. But I'm sure the OP hasn't heard of this organization, either.

OP, if you want to go back to being Catholic, so be it. I was raised Catholic, and there's no freakin' way I'd go back. You have the riches of Orthodoxy and you'd rather go back to that?
Nero

« Reply #110 on: June 30, 2011, 09:23:18 PM »

I just want to say, I admire your bravery and dedication to Christ.

Thank you - as St. Paul said, the benefits are absolutely beyond compare to the little problems along the way.
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #111 on: June 30, 2011, 09:40:32 PM »

Very true.
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #112 on: July 02, 2011, 12:12:01 AM »

stjustinmartyrorthodox, you might want to check out ancient faith radio. There's a podcast on Orthodox prison ministry here in the US. Very important.
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #113 on: July 05, 2011, 11:15:58 AM »

stjustinmartyrorthodox, you might want to check out ancient faith radio. There's a podcast on Orthodox prison ministry here in the US. Very important.

Or pm me. My husband's on the board of Orthodox Christian Prison Ministry.

St. John Chrysostom
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #114 on: July 06, 2011, 11:34:18 AM »

I haven't heard that particular podcast, but AFR seems to be a splendid resource. (Lately I've been listening to some episodes of The Illumined Heart.)

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #115 on: July 06, 2011, 12:15:13 PM »

I haven't heard that particular podcast, but AFR seems to be a splendid resource. (Lately I've been listening to some episodes of The Illumined Heart.)
It's still on the front page.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: