OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 03:31:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rant - Building LINUX Kernels  (Read 868 times) Average Rating: 0
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« on: June 23, 2011, 02:56:22 PM »

[Rant]

I was doing such a good job building and upgrading LINUX kernels on Fedora 14 as I went from the original 2.6.35.6 to 2.6.39.0.

I tried upgrading to 3.0-0.rc4 which needed installation and recompiling of some dependencies and my root file system (on LVM) couldn't be found.  I could still boot kernels 2.6.39.0 and 2.6.38.7 except in my infinite wisdom, I decided to delete all the kernel-devel files and kernel-header files which were hand built with each kernel upgrade.  Without the devel and header files, I can't build squat and the last time I built a custom kernel from source (e.g. edit CONFIG files) was almost a decade ago.

Argghhhh - I'll have to download and install 2.6.35.13-92 and recreate some kind of environment for building kernels.   Sad

[/Rant]
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 02:57:36 PM by SolEX01 » Logged
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 03:07:17 PM »

Very truly I tell you, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

Ask w/ tears, seek w/ obedience, knock w/ patience

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 04:38:11 PM »

A Cautionary Tale

« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 04:38:27 PM by CBGardner » Logged

Authentic zeal is not directed towards anything but union in Christ, or against anything but our own fallenness.

"Beardliness is next to Godliness."- Asteriktos
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 11:06:28 PM »

Well, I'm going to sleep.  I think the Fedora kernel packagers forgot to turn on LVM support and seems like I'm the only one using LVM.

Thanks for the positive feedback.   Grin
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 11:25:01 PM »

Well, I'm going to sleep.  I think the Fedora kernel packagers forgot to turn on LVM support and seems like I'm the only one using LVM.

Thanks for the positive feedback.   Grin

Despite the above comic I would actually suggest using Ubuntu over Fedora. Ubuntu seems to be more user friendly and if for some reason your newest update or upgrade doesn't work you can always go into the GRUB and load a few versions ago. Plus free support from the Ubuntu Forums... Just saying. I switched from Windoze to Ubuntu in the last month or two of my deployment and I haven't looked back since. Any time I have had a problem I can just hop on the forums and get the answers I need.

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
John Ward

Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Korea

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 01:12:47 AM »

I used to be the guy in the comic. As for Ubuntu, I used to like it, but the continuous fixing of things that aren't broken irritated me. I installed 11.04 and saw Unity and just shook my head. I think Mint is still nice and openSUSE is still one of the best, especially for KDE. I think I'll install the latest after work today. After Windows 7 came out, I started using it a lot more and haven't had time to play with Linux like I used to but, things changed in my life and my free time has gone back to what it used to be, so time to play, again.
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 12:30:25 PM »

Fedora is a "bleeding edge" distribution.  Example, they are the first distribution to use the GNOME 3 desktop which doesn't work nicely with the latest and greatest NVIDIA and ATI graphics chips out there.

When the 3.0 kernels (basically 2.6.40 but Linus Torvalds, founder of LINUX, wanted to acknowledge the 3rd decade of kernel development) were released, I thought that it would play nicely with dependencies from the 2.6 kernels. 

I never liked Ubuntu.  If I wanted to use a Windoze version of LINUX, Window 7 has been very good to me.  I download and burn the Live CDs of the latest Ubuntus as they are released; however, my Internet connection isn't fast enough to download GBs of packages.

In my past life as a System Engineer, I worked with Slackware, Debian, Red Hat, FreeBSD and Solaris (both SUN and x86 versions).  The former system administrator used 6 different OS to do things like mail, file serving, name service, web hosting, et al.
dcommini
OC.net guru

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 01:01:16 PM »

Fedora is a "bleeding edge" distribution.  Example, they are the first distribution to use the GNOME 3 desktop which doesn't work nicely with the latest and greatest NVIDIA and ATI graphics chips out there.

When the 3.0 kernels (basically 2.6.40 but Linus Torvalds, founder of LINUX, wanted to acknowledge the 3rd decade of kernel development) were released, I thought that it would play nicely with dependencies from the 2.6 kernels. 

I never liked Ubuntu.  If I wanted to use a Windoze version of LINUX, Window 7 has been very good to me.  I download and burn the Live CDs of the latest Ubuntus as they are released; however, my Internet connection isn't fast enough to download GBs of packages.

In my past life as a System Engineer, I worked with Slackware, Debian, Red Hat, FreeBSD and Solaris (both SUN and x86 versions).  The former system administrator used 6 different OS to do things like mail, file serving, name service, web hosting, et al.

Talking about slow internet... I was lucky if I could get DSL speeds when I was in Iraq, it took me quite some time to dl linux but once I got it installed it was all good, getting updates never seemed to take that long. I know the linux community is a large one, there are so many distros and everybody prefers a different distro. Persoanlly I like Ubuntu because it was the easiest for me to switch to coming directly from Windows. The lay out was simple and I even got every thing to look and feel similar to Windows to help me out in adjusting. Another thing I like about Ubuntu is that even though you are an admin you are not root, so theoretically you have less of a chance of screwing things up when tinkering with the system. I'm really not familiar with many of the other distros, aside from Fedora - which I played with before getting Ubuntu - and Red Hat - which is the OS for the Army's BFT's, and both are made by the same company.

As to Windows 7... my wife currently has this on her laptop. It's not terribly bad, but I still have some security concerns about it as it is Windows... My brother-in-law also has 7 on his desktop and he had to call me in to fix his screen which he had inadvertently turned upside down. So my first run in with 7 was trying to figure out how to flip the darn screen (which wasn't that hard, but I had a headache after trying to read everything upside).

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 11:23:51 PM »

UPDATE

I was able to rebuild the 3.0-0.rc4 kernel and boot after installing over 20 dependencies (some by downloading the source code RPM and rebuilding it for my current Fedora 14).

I have no graphics ... well, NVIDIA will have to play catch up with that one.   Smiley

Red Hat is making good profits, some of which are invested in Fedora.
dcommini
OC.net guru

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 11:30:36 PM »

UPDATE

I was able to rebuild the 3.0-0.rc4 kernel and boot after installing over 20 dependencies (some by downloading the source code RPM and rebuilding it for my current Fedora 14).

I have no graphics ... well, NVIDIA will have to play catch up with that one.   Smiley

well, congrats! glad you figured out everything. hope you get some graphics soon...

Check out my blog...
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 10:01:03 AM »

UPDATE

well, congrats! glad you figured out everything. hope you get some graphics soon...

Thanks.  Smiley

Built kernel 3.0-0.rc5.  Still no graphics although I have to wait for a packager to edit one C file to replace the 3 digit Kernel Version with a 2 digit Kernel Version.  IOW

KERNEL_VERSION(3, 1, 0) doesn't seem to work when KERNEL_VERSION is (3, 0-0, rc5).
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2011, 02:07:09 AM »

The folks at Red Hat threw out a lot of kernel debugging which prevented third party drivers (like Nvidia) from interacting with Linux kernel 3.0.0.

So, I'm running kernel 3.0.0-2 with graphics.  Yay!

Now the next milestone would be to install Fedora 16 by the end of the year.  I'm having problems building certain RPMs that depend on Systemd rather than udev (if I have my terminology correct).
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2011, 02:16:19 AM »

Linux: The promise of the technology of yesterday for tomorrow.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: