OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 03:32:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Conversation with a Catholic Priest  (Read 5872 times) Average Rating: 0
TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #135 on: July 13, 2011, 02:01:22 PM »

Since the CC's stance on artificial birth control is one of its most recognizable stances to many people, I wanted to comment on it.

I've known people who are active with the Couple to Couple League - Catholic Natural Family Planning organization. There are dioceses in my area whose bishops and priests absolutely refuse to allow any NFP literature to be put in parish literature racks. These bishops and priests also downright refuse to meet with the CCL people and refuse to allow NFP classes to be held at parishes.

Then there's the local cardinal archbishop who while he gives public lip service to the CC's stance on ABC and that couples to use NFP, he will do absolutely nothing to the priests who refuse to have themselves or their parishes associated with NFP in any way (no literature, classes, speakers). One woman tried to have a table at parish ministry fair, to hand out literature and answer questions. The priest told her it would not happen as long as he was there and to not bother to ask again.

Multiple Catholic friends across the US have told me that they are told in their pre-Cana (marriage prep) classes that yes, the CC only approves of NFP, but "you don't have to bother with that and you can use ABC if you want." This is by Church-approved teachers AND priests.
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #136 on: July 13, 2011, 02:06:22 PM »

Since the CC's stance on artificial birth control is one of its most recognizable stances to many people, I wanted to comment on it.

I've known people who are active with the Couple to Couple League - Catholic Natural Family Planning organization. There are dioceses in my area whose bishops and priests absolutely refuse to allow any NFP literature to be put in parish literature racks. These bishops and priests also downright refuse to meet with the CCL people and refuse to allow NFP classes to be held at parishes.

Then there's the local cardinal archbishop who while he gives public lip service to the CC's stance on ABC and that couples to use NFP, he will do absolutely nothing to the priests who refuse to have themselves or their parishes associated with NFP in any way (no literature, classes, speakers). One woman tried to have a table at parish ministry fair, to hand out literature and answer questions. The priest told her it would not happen as long as he was there and to not bother to ask again.

Multiple Catholic friends across the US have told me that they are told in their pre-Cana (marriage prep) classes that yes, the CC only approves of NFP, but "you don't have to bother with that and you can use ABC if you want." This is by Church-approved teachers AND priests.

That's right.  And this also explains why Father Ambrose can go to the USCCB and find data heavily freighted against Natural Family Planning.  But that does not stop young men and women from starting parish based classes and circumventing those pastors and bishops who think Humanae Vitae is bunko.

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #137 on: July 13, 2011, 02:33:57 PM »

That's right.  And this also explains why Father Ambrose can go to the USCCB and find data heavily freighted against Natural Family Planning.  But that does not stop young men and women from starting parish based classes and circumventing those pastors and bishops who think Humanae Vitae is bunko.

And, as you never tire of raising the hew and cry, such actions against your much vaunted "magisterium" is above their (the married great unwashed) pay grade.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 02:34:25 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #138 on: July 13, 2011, 02:44:36 PM »

That's right.  And this also explains why Father Ambrose can go to the USCCB and find data heavily freighted against Natural Family Planning.  But that does not stop young men and women from starting parish based classes and circumventing those pastors and bishops who think Humanae Vitae is bunko.

And, as you never tire of raising the hew and cry, such actions against your much vaunted "magisterium" is above their (the married great unwashed) pay grade.

You make no sense here...What else is new?

ialmisry
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #139 on: July 13, 2011, 03:10:21 PM »

Nothing new: I just repeated your old routine. That's why it doesn't make any sense.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #140 on: July 13, 2011, 03:15:58 PM »

Nothing new: I just repeated your old routine. That's why it doesn't make any sense.

Petty per usual.

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #141 on: July 13, 2011, 03:18:49 PM »

Petty per usual.
It's your routine.

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #142 on: July 13, 2011, 03:20:00 PM »

This merry go round has come to an end.  Thank you for participating and please come visit us again.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: