OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 11:44:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Boston archdiocese allows rescheduled ‘gay pride’ Mass  (Read 1077 times) Average Rating: 0
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« on: June 22, 2011, 05:37:48 PM »

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/boston-archdiocese-allows-rescheduled-gay-pride-mass

Boston archdiocese allows rescheduled ‘gay pride’ Mass
by Kathleen Gilbert
Mon Jun 20, 2011 15:12 EST
Comments (11)
Tags: boston, gay pride, sean o'malley

BOSTON, June 20, 2011 (LifeSiteNews.com) – A ‘gay-friendly’ parish in Boston is celebrating a victory after leaders in the parish said the archdiocese of Boston had given permission to reschedule a Mass intended to celebrate Boston’s gay pride month for a less controversial date.

The Mass, with the theme “All Are Welcome,” has been rescheduled for July 10 after the archbishop’s office rejected an earlier date that diocesan officials said implied too much cooperation with the city’s gay pride celebrations...

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 05:56:57 PM »

What is your motivation for posting this on an Orthodox site? Is it to invite Orthodox Christians to openly bash/disagree with the Catholic Church? Is it seeking approval from Orthodox Christians?

Based on how other threads concerning homosexuality just turn into long diatribes, what were you hoping to accomplish in posting this here? I ask as I really don't see how this benefits us in our walk with Christ.

Please, enlighten me Robb.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Dart
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 07:01:37 PM »

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/boston-archdiocese-allows-rescheduled-gay-pride-mass

by Kathleen Gilbert
Comments (11)

BOSTON, June 20, 2011 (LifeSiteNews.com) – A ‘gay-friendly’ parish in Boston is celebrating a victory after leaders in the parish said the archdiocese of Boston had given permission to reschedule a Mass intended to celebrate Boston’s gay pride month for a less controversial date.

The Mass, with the theme “All Are Welcome,” has been rescheduled for July 10 after the archbishop’s office rejected an earlier date that diocesan officials said implied too much cooperation with the city’s gay pride celebrations...

Thank you for the post. I am sure some of our clergy will join this mass.
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 08:09:28 PM »

by Kathleen Gilbert
Comments (11)

LOL

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 08:17:55 PM »

What is your motivation for posting this on an Orthodox site? Is it to invite Orthodox Christians to openly bash/disagree with the Catholic Church? Is it seeking approval from Orthodox Christians?

Based on how other threads concerning homosexuality just turn into long diatribes, what were you hoping to accomplish in posting this here? I ask as I really don't see how this benefits us in our walk with Christ.

It looks to me like the two previous posters answered your question, sadly though in a most predictable manner.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 08:32:47 PM »

I find it ironic how, as the bishops of New York are fighting gay marriage vigourously there, the Archdiocese of Boston would decide to permit this sort of thing.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

Ask w/ tears, seek w/ obedience, knock w/ patience

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 08:47:07 PM »

by Kathleen Gilbert
Comments (11)

Dart, Brother/Sister, please don't speak about our clergy this way. They are doing the work of God. Those who are not have enough judgement coming for them after death.

Authentic zeal is not directed towards anything but union in Christ, or against anything but our own fallenness.

"Beardliness is next to Godliness."- Asteriktos
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 08:56:48 PM »

I work near St. Cecilia’s, so when I saw a sign in their window saying they are part of the Rainbow Ministry I had to find out more about it.  And I did and I found out about the canceled Mass.  I'm surprised the Archdiocese gave in and is allowing the Mass to be celebrated...very surprised.

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 08:58:52 PM »

It looks to me like the two previous posters answered your question, sadly though in a most predictable manner.

Well I was going to create a Venn Diagram at work tomorrow to express the relationship among Bostonians, "Irish", Roman Catholics, Parade Lovers, and Gays.

Guess I'll skip it.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 09:01:27 PM »

I find it ironic how, as the bishops of New York are fighting gay marriage vigourously there, the Archdiocese of Boston would decide to permit this sort of thing.

What I don't find ironic is that you use ironic incorrectly and then in the post immediately after yours proper use of irony is misunderstood.

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 11:13:22 PM »

Given that the following is a definition of irony "incongruity between the actual result of a sequence of events and the normal or expected result (2) : an event or result marked by such incongruity" I fail to see how I used "ironic" improperly.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 11:32:12 PM »

by Kathleen Gilbert
Comments (11)

What percentage of Catholic priests and bishops would you say are homosexual anyway? I know that one of them was active in the N*MB**, North American M* B* L* Association and as well was in charge of a hotel in Southern California that catered to homosexuals. And he got a sterling letter of recommendation from Cardinal Law. I guess it is not as bad in the RCC as it is in the Episcopal Church, but it is still a problem.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 11:40:13 PM by stanley123 » Logged
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 11:38:05 PM »

^
please bear in mind that using the name of that organization or it's well known acronym can cause this site to be blocked by filters in some schools and public libraries.

Proverbs 22:7
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 11:40:37 PM »

by Kathleen Gilbert
Comments (11)

Bet you they don't.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 11:43:24 PM »

^
please bear in mind that using the name of that organization or it's well known acronym can cause this site to be blocked by filters in some schools and public libraries.

Thanks for that info. I edited it accordingly, so it should be OK now? What do you think?  But when a Catholic priests endorses a society that advocates what this association was advocating, and considering the fact that even public libraries have to filter out a whole site because of the use of that acronym, then it is obviously a problem. And as long as there are a lot of homosexuals in the RC priesthood, this problem is going to be around.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 11:44:53 PM by stanley123 » Logged
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 12:08:50 PM »

Thanks for that info. I edited it accordingly, so it should be OK now? What do you think?  But when a Catholic priests endorses a society that advocates what this association was advocating, and considering the fact that even public libraries have to filter out a whole site because of the use of that acronym, then it is obviously a problem. And as long as there are a lot of homosexuals in the RC priesthood, this problem is going to be around.

How many times must the argument be made that same sex attraction ≠ pedophilia?  Roll Eyes

Just because a person is gay (or straight) does not mean they want to harm children. The mental defect that causes a person to molest and abuse a child has nothing to do with what gender they are attracted to.

Also, since you are going to forbid homosexual celibate men from becoming priests (or remove them from the priesthood), are you also going to remove or forbid those who have a family history of alcoholism or drug addiction? I'm not talking about actual alcoholics or drug addicts (you know, those practicing the sin), I'm just talking about those with a family history who could potentially become alcoholics or drug addicts. I mean, since we're trying to eliminate one type of sin, why stop there? I mean, who wants priests peddling drugs to kids? Right? [/sarcasm]

THIS is why I questioned Robb's intent in posting this thread. Because it seems every thread on homosexuality on this board devolves into "Homosexuals = Pedophiles" when that simply isn't true.  Angry

Doesn't anyone else think it ironic that we believe a heterosexual male can love God enough to suppress his sexual desire for a woman and become a monk or Hiermonk, but they find it difficult to believe that a homosexual male would be unable to do the same? Why is it we feel comfortable leaving our daughters, sisters, and wives alone with a heterosexual Hiermonk, but think it dangerous to leave our sons, brothers, and husbands, alone with a homosexual Catholic priest?

Let us not forget that even within the Orthodox faith both male and female children and adults have been abused by gay and straight clergy (some who were married.) The only difference is that it did not receive the publicity that the Catholic scandals have.

The potential for sin reaches all; regardless of sexual orientation, gender, class, job title, color, or creed.

"Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye."
The Gospel of St. Matthew, 7:1-5

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2011, 12:25:26 PM »

How many times must the argument be made that same sex attraction ≠ pedophilia?  Roll Eyes

Just because a person is gay (or straight) does not mean they want to harm children. The mental defect that causes a person to molest and abuse a child has nothing to do with what gender they are attracted to.

Also, since you are going to forbid homosexual celibate men from becoming priests (or remove them from the priesthood), are you also going to remove or forbid those who have a family history of alcoholism or drug addiction? I'm not talking about actual alcoholics or drug addicts (you know, those practicing the sin), I'm just talking about those with a family history who could potentially become alcoholics or drug addicts. I mean, since we're trying to eliminate one type of sin, why stop there? I mean, who wants priests peddling drugs to kids? Right? [/sarcasm]

THIS is why I questioned Robb's intent in posting this thread. Because it seems every thread on homosexuality on this board devolves into "Homosexuals = Pedophiles" when that simply isn't true.  Angry

Doesn't anyone else think it ironic that we believe a heterosexual male can love God enough to suppress his sexual desire for a woman and become a monk or Hiermonk, but they find it difficult to believe that a homosexual male would be unable to do the same? Why is it we feel comfortable leaving our daughters, sisters, and wives alone with a heterosexual Hiermonk, but think it dangerous to leave our sons, brothers, and husbands, alone with a homosexual Catholic priest?

Let us not forget that even within the Orthodox faith both male and female children and adults have been abused by gay and straight clergy (some who were married.) The only difference is that it did not receive the publicity that the Catholic scandals have.

The potential for sin reaches all; regardless of sexual orientation, gender, class, job title, color, or creed.

"Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye."
Curiously, 60 years ago US psychological groups considered homosexuality to stem from mental defect. Will you have the same opinion when people are advocating Pedophile's rights down the road? Why or why not? I'm not equating the two, please do not mistake. I'm merely pointing out the shift in society's views.

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2011, 02:33:21 PM »

Curiously, 60 years ago US psychological groups considered homosexuality to stem from mental defect. Will you have the same opinion when people are advocating Pedophile's rights down the road? Why or why not? I'm not equating the two, please do not mistake. I'm merely pointing out the shift in society's views.

In Christ,
Andrew

One hundred fifty years ago, American preachers also preached that slavery was also acceptable and taught in the Bible. Once slavery was abolished, it was taught that interracial marriages were wrong, and that people of color were inferior to white people. Just because something was once taught or acceptable doesn't make it right.

I am not advocating that having sex with a person of the same gender is not a sin; what I am saying is that same sex attraction does not mean that someone is a pedophile.

The significant difference between the two is the same difference as a heterosexual adult couple having sex, and an adult  having sex with a child. When two consenting adults have sex, the relationship is mutual, and it is not a form of abuse. When an adult manipulates a child into having sex, it is psychologically detrimental, and is abuse. (For that matter, any time anyone is manipulated into having sex, it is abuse.) Even though members of the aforementioned group (I'm not going to go through the trouble of spelling out the acronym) claim that the sex is consensual, a child does not have the emotional maturity to understand the ramifications of sex as an adult does.

Furthermore, there is no evidence the proves that because someone is homosexual they will seek out and rape people. There is, however, evidence that shows the rate of recidivism with pedophiles is extremely high, and one need not be a homosexual to be a pedophile.

I ask once again, why do we believe that a heterosexual man can suppress his sexual desires for a woman, remain celibate, and have a successful ministry serving the Lord as a monk or hiermonk, but we don't believe a homosexual man can do the same?

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2011, 02:37:49 PM »

Except for your improper use of gender and irony, I am with you word for word //:=).

Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2011, 02:54:12 PM »

In Christ,
Andrew

One hundred fifty years ago, American preachers also preached that slavery was also acceptable and taught in the Bible. Once slavery was abolished, it was taught that interracial marriages were wrong, and that people of color were inferior to white people. Just because something was once taught or acceptable doesn't make it right.

I am not advocating that having sex with a person of the same gender is not a sin; what I am saying is that same sex attraction does not mean that someone is a pedophile.

The significant difference between the two is the same difference as a heterosexual adult couple having sex, and an adult  having sex with a child. When two consenting adults have sex, the relationship is mutual, and it is not a form of abuse. When an adult manipulates a child into having sex, it is psychologically detrimental, and is abuse. (For that matter, any time anyone is manipulated into having sex, it is abuse.) Even though members of the aforementioned group (I'm not going to go through the trouble of spelling out the acronym) claim that the sex is consensual, a child does not have the emotional maturity to understand the ramifications of sex as an adult does.

Furthermore, there is no evidence the proves that because someone is homosexual they will seek out and rape people. There is, however, evidence that shows the rate of recidivism with pedophiles is extremely high, and one need not be a homosexual to be a pedophile.

I ask once again, why do we believe that a heterosexual man can suppress his sexual desires for a woman, remain celibate, and have a successful ministry serving the Lord as a monk or hiermonk, but we don't believe a homosexual man can do the same?
Who said we don't?  Huh Hieromonk Seraphim of Platina was one such, as I'm sure there have been others. They just don't feel the need to advertise about it, which is something the Church shouldn't do. She doesn't celebrate vice, which is why no Orthodox Christian should support any "gay pride" anything, just like we wouldn't support "swinger pride" or "fornicator pride." I don't see it to be so complicated.

In Christ,
Andrew

stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2011, 11:34:47 PM »

She doesn't celebrate vice, which is why no Orthodox Christian should support any "gay pride" anything, just like we wouldn't support "swinger pride" or "fornicator pride." I don't see it to be so complicated.
I am 100% with you on this.
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2011, 10:26:07 AM »

Okay, this is my Archdiocese, and I am a regular at the shrine literally 2 blocks from St. Cecilia's.

First off, here is Cardinal Sean's statement:

The philosophical and political agenda of Gay Pride in relation to marriage and sexual morality is incompatible with the Church's teachings. For that reason, Father Unni rescheduled a Mass of welcome for all his parishioners to a time that would not associate the Mass with the Gay Pride agenda.

I realize that Catholics who have same-sex attractions are often criticized by their friends for coming to Mass and that the parents and friends of homosexual members of our Church are distressed that their loved ones feel rejected by their Church. We want all baptized Catholics to come to Mass and be part of our community, but we cannot compromise the teaching of the Church rooted in Scripture and tradition.

We hope that all Catholics will come to experience the love of Christ in our community and that in that love they will find the courage and strength to embrace the cross that is part of the life of discipleship.

It is regrettable that there has been so much confusion about this matter. I hope the statement on my blog [http://www.cardinalseansblog.org/2011/06/17/] of last week and The Pilot editorial "A teachable moment" [http://www.thebostonpilot.com/article.asp?ID=13449] will help people to understand the Church's teaching. We must be a community that reflects both the love and the truth of the Gospel.

Seán P. Cardinal O'Malley, OFM Cap.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 10:30:23 AM by lubeltri » Logged
lubeltri
Latin Catholic layman
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Boston

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2011, 10:35:56 AM »

Okay, now my reaction. Now, I love my archbishop, he is my shepherd, and I have met him on a few occasions and believe that he is a sincere pastor. And I have no doubt that he is solidly orthodox in his faith.

However, as a bishop, as one of his priests has told me, he is "too big-picture."

And as we also saw with the Sen. Kennedy funeral controversy, he is a bit lacking in the spine department at times.

God knows he has a very hard job, but I assume that His Eminence also knew that when he accepted this assignment.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 10:36:44 AM by lubeltri » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: