OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 12:31:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Folk Liturgy  (Read 945 times) Average Rating: 0
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« on: June 22, 2011, 03:04:26 AM »

Has there ever been a known instance of DL which used guitars or folk instruments?  I know that we have this from time to time in the RCC, especially in the late 60's or 70's.  I'm sure that many purist Orthodox would object to even the use of an organ in Church, but the fact remains that organs are used by many mainstream EO parishes in America. I suspect that there may also have been a folk liturgy celebrated somewhere from time to time?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 03:05:10 AM by Robb » Logged

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 04:32:22 AM »

I can't imagine such a thing and I really doubt it.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 05:20:47 AM »

Impossible. Heck, even the occasional use of modern Russian or modern Greek as a liturgical language has been swiftly dealt with by the hierarchy of the respective local churches. (though, OTOH, modern Serbian can now be used as an alternative to Church Slavonic in Serbian jurisdictions).

Not only canonically impossible, but it simply wouldn't work. The music, be it Byzantine monody or Slavic polyphony, is composed with only the voice in mind. Adding musical instruments would be unnecessary, and it just wouldn't sound right. As for a "folk" liturgy, where the gravitas and majesty is replaced with a feel-good approach .... ewwwwww.  Tongue Tongue Tongue
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 05:21:31 AM by LBK » Logged
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 05:48:42 AM »

God forbid.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
synLeszka
High Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 08:35:33 AM »

Hmm, I remember watching a video of Bosnian Muslims desecrating a Serbian crkva, and somehow out of behind the iconastas they pulled out a folk guitar.
I thought that the use of the guitar is common in the Orthodox liturgy of the Balkans.
LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 08:47:01 AM »

I thought that the use of the guitar is common in the Orthodox liturgy of the Balkans.

Stashko! Stashko, where are you?  laugh laugh
trifon

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian Patriarchate (currently Archdiocese of Thyateira)

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 08:52:37 AM »

Hmm, I remember watching a video of Bosnian Muslims desecrating a Serbian crkva, and somehow out of behind the iconastas they pulled out a folk guitar.

I am assuming that this is the video in question: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ktx3TNZk5g

I've attended quite a few Liturgies in Bulgaria and Serbia over the past few years, and have yet to see a guitar being used..
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 09:09:44 AM »

You thought wrong. What a surpires. Roll Eyes

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
synLeszka
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 03:11:55 PM »

If you think you are so smart Isa, 
is the Hagia Sophia, Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit, the Mother of God or some other energy?
ialmisry
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 03:17:47 PM »

is the Hagia Sophia, Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit, the Mother of God or some other energy?
Not part of folk religion, so not apropos to the thread. But for starters, neither Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit nor the Mother of God are an "energy."  You leaning New Age, SL?

Btw, it's not a "a Serbian crkva," it's a Serbian Church.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
synLeszka
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 04:08:45 PM »

Not part of folk religion, so not apropos to the thread. But for starters, neither Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit nor the Mother of God are an "energy."  You leaning New Age, SL?

The Holy Wisdom is part of Russian folk religion. So within the boundaries.
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 04:58:58 PM »

The Holy Wisdom is part of Russian folk religion. So within the boundaries.
and I should take the word of an Ultramontanist Pole about Russian folk religion why?

Dart
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 05:05:25 PM »

Hagia Sophia = Holy Wisdom
Perfect wisdom is found in God alone. So the Hagia Sophia would be a characteristic of the Holy Trinity and is given to the Church by the grace of God through the Holy Spirit. This Orthodox view is different from the Roman Catholic idea of the Magisterium in which the Pope has infallible and thus perfect wisdom in interpreting the faith.

At least this is my understanding. How do you see it?
synLeszka
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 11:02:07 AM »

Perfect wisdom is found in God alone. So the Hagia Sophia would be a characteristic of the Holy Trinity and is given to the Church by the grace of God through the Holy Spirit. This Orthodox view is different from the Roman Catholic idea of the Magisterium in which the Pope has infallible and thus perfect wisdom in interpreting the faith.

I asked because Fr.Florenski seems to not know what the Holy Wisdom is in Orthodoxy. I remember him saying that the Holy Wisdom was by some even considered St.Nicholas.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 11:45:43 AM »

I asked because Fr.Florenski seems to not know what the Holy Wisdom is in Orthodoxy. I remember him saying that the Holy Wisdom was by some even considered St.Nicholas.

What does any of this have to do with the OP?

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Dart
High Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2011, 06:15:21 PM »

There were some novel ideas in early 20th century Russia which the Moscow Patriarch deemed heresy but I am not exactly sure what you are referring to. Do you mean Father Pavel Florensky or Father Georges Florensky?
Orual
Orthodoxy = 7, not 3
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Sunday Morning Costume Parade

I'm just here for the food.

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2011, 01:26:12 AM »

There were some novel ideas in early 20th century Russia which the Moscow Patriarch deemed heresy but I am not exactly sure what you are referring to. Do you mean Father Pavel Florensky or Father Georges Florensky?

That should be Fr. Georges FlorOVsky.

He spoke it as kindly and heartily as could be; as if a man dashed a gallon of cold water in your broth and never doubted you'd like it all the better. 

- C.S. Lewis, Till We Have Faces
f.k.a. Matron.a
SubdeaconDavid
"...the spread of the light of Orthodoxy among the peoples of all the lands where our Church exists continues as an inseparable part of our mission": Metropolitan Hilarion, First Hierarch of ROCOR
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church Abroad (ROCOR)

Помилуй мя Боже, по велицей милости Твоей

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2011, 03:06:06 AM »

Impossible. Heck, even the occasional use of modern Russian or modern Greek as a liturgical language has been swiftly dealt with by the hierarchy of the respective local churches. (though, OTOH, modern Serbian can now be used as an alternative to Church Slavonic in Serbian jurisdictions).

Not only canonically impossible, but it simply wouldn't work. The music, be it Byzantine monody or Slavic polyphony, is composed with only the voice in mind. Adding musical instruments would be unnecessary, and it just wouldn't sound right. As for a "folk" liturgy, where the gravitas and majesty is replaced with a feel-good approach .... ewwwwww.  Tongue Tongue Tongue
Well the use of electric organs in Greek churches in the US is about as folksy as you can get.  Can anyone say why such a modernist copying of American Protestantism got episcopal blessing? The faithful corralled into pews so that they cannot venerate an icon, light a candle or make a prostration... still they can enjoy the concert from the organ.

Visit my blog@  http://orthodoxtasmania.blogspot.com

To the Russians abroad it has been granted to shine in the whole world  the light of Orthodoxy, so that other peoples, seeing their good deeds, might glorify our Father in Heaven, and thus obtain salvation
S John of Shanghai & San Francisco
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: