OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 29, 2014, 12:10:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Webdespota's paper  (Read 834 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« on: June 21, 2011, 08:31:23 AM »

An essay by our admin, Fr. Anastasios, has been published on Pravmir.com.

http://www.pravmir.com/on-being-a-bi-vocational-priest/
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 08:32:11 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged
ilyazhito
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 10:27:41 AM »

This is very interesting. O dp appreciate what he did, and does.
Thank God that he managed to survive.
I hope that Presvytera is OK.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 10:57:49 AM »

May it help others to take up this ministry as well.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 10:58:24 AM by Fr. Anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
ilyazhito
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 08:46:35 PM »

It would probably be easier for deacons to do this, since most OCA deacons have a second job anyways.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 09:05:22 AM »

It would probably be easier for deacons to do this, since most OCA deacons have a second job anyways.

I'm not sure I follow you; are you suggesting that people who are already deacons should be ordained up? Or that deacons should be sent to missions?  Not everyone is comfortable with deacon-led typica with distribution of communion, and of course there is the problem of hearing people's confessions.

In Christ,
Fr. Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 01:42:18 PM »

Fr. Anastasios, I took the comment about OCA deacons to mean that they should be ordained priests and then take on a mission/small parish.

I do know several priests in my diocese (OCA Midwest) that have gone through the Diaconal Vocations program, were deacons for some years, and then attended STS for a year, and are now priests. They were older men (at least 55 years old) and so not green newbies. They had good jobs or were retired. They are assistant priests and also  serve Liturgy in other parishes when priests are on vacation or out ill.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 02:04:30 PM »

I don't have a problem with ordaining long-time deacons to be priests, but as long as it does not diminish the office of deacon.  For instance, in my diocese, a long-time deacon was made a priest. He is certainly worthy and is doing a great job.  However, we have not had a deacon for some time now in the diocese. Whenever I get the chance, I point out that we should really be developing a late-vocations-to-the-diaconate program...people retort that we need more priests...I know we have to prioritize in situations like this, but I do think that there are some people we could target for the diaconate who would make great deacons but not necessarily be good for the priesthood. And that's ok.

Please Buy My Book!

Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Protestant Universalist

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 04:18:25 PM »

When I first saw the title, for some reason I thought it was, "On Being a Bi-sexual Priest"  laugh

Congrats on getting published.
ilyazhito
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 09:12:27 PM »

Fr. Anastasios, I merely mean that current OCA deacons hold second jobs. I did not mean that those deacons should be ordained priests, unless, its absolutely necessary.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 09:20:27 PM »

Father, bless.

Congratulations on the publication.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 10:17:46 PM »

I don't have a problem with ordaining long-time deacons to be priests, but as long as it does not diminish the office of deacon.  For instance, in my diocese, a long-time deacon was made a priest. He is certainly worthy and is doing a great job.  However, we have not had a deacon for some time now in the diocese. Whenever I get the chance, I point out that we should really be developing a late-vocations-to-the-diaconate program...people retort that we need more priests...I know we have to prioritize in situations like this, but I do think that there are some people we could target for the diaconate who would make great deacons but not necessarily be good for the priesthood. And that's ok.

You know, it's interesting - in the Greek Archdiocese in my area there are virtually no deacons. When Holy Week comes, they borrow the OCA deacons (we have a number of them) - and pay for taking the deacons away from their own parishes - to the tune of several hundred dollars a service!
ilyazhito
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 04:51:19 PM »

They have a special program for the diaconate at Holy Cross. Why not recruit more men, especially those with second professions who couldn't go to seminary.
I'd definitely sign up when I get old enough.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: