OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 23, 2014, 03:29:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "...anything that had been lacking in their predecessors"  (Read 1507 times) Average Rating: 0
Vadim

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church (Moscow Patriarchate)

Bishop Atanasije Jevtic on the photograph

« on: June 20, 2011, 03:46:25 PM »

The Definition of Faith of the Council of Chalcedon

"...therefore this present holy, great, and ecumenical synod, desiring to exclude every device against the Truth, and teaching that which is unchanged from the beginning, has at the very outset decreed that the faith of the Three Hundred and Eighteen Fathers shall be preserved inviolate.  And on account of them that contend against the Holy Ghost, it confirms the doctrine afterwards delivered concerning the substance of the Spirit by the One Hundred and Fifty holy Fathers who assembled in the imperial City; which doctrine they declared unto all men, not as though they were introducing anything that had been lacking in their predecessors, but in order to explain through written documents their faith concerning the Holy Ghost against those who were seeking to destroy his sovereignty."

Doesn't Filioque addition look like as Roman Catholics wanted to "introduce anything that had been lacking in their predecessors"?
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 04:10:19 PM »

The Definition of Faith of the Council of Chalcedon

"...therefore this present holy, great, and ecumenical synod, desiring to exclude every device against the Truth, and teaching that which is unchanged from the beginning, has at the very outset decreed that the faith of the Three Hundred and Eighteen Fathers shall be preserved inviolate.  And on account of them that contend against the Holy Ghost, it confirms the doctrine afterwards delivered concerning the substance of the Spirit by the One Hundred and Fifty holy Fathers who assembled in the imperial City; which doctrine they declared unto all men, not as though they were introducing anything that had been lacking in their predecessors, but in order to explain through written documents their faith concerning the Holy Ghost against those who were seeking to destroy his sovereignty."

Doesn't Filioque addition look like as Roman Catholics wanted to "introduce anything that had been lacking in their predecessors"?
LOL. Exactly.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 04:23:30 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 09:24:40 AM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Hi HabteSelassie.

Many different recipes are possible with the same few ingredients.

In this case, the basic ingredients are:
1. Here's our (Orthodox) position ...
2. Here's our (Catholic) position ...
3. The positions are the same.
4. The positions are not the same.

I won't try to list, or even count, the many different conversations that have grown out of them.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 09:58:14 AM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

POM candidate?
Shiranui117
Formerly known as "Wandering Sheep"

Faith: Orthodox (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: ACROD/OCA

PUDDI PUDDI!

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 11:26:27 AM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

POM candidate?
I certainly enjoyed it thoroughly  Grin
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 12:33:32 PM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie
This filly-o-que is a dead topic.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 12:49:53 PM »

filly okay

Doesn't look like it.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 12:52:02 PM »

Funny ... earlier I was thinking that looks a little like the scene from "Office Space", with the copier replaced by a horse ... then a few minutes ago I realized that's exactly what it is.

Vadim

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 12:56:13 PM »

What I wanted to say: Roman Catholics often say, that they could change the Creed, because the Second Ecumenical Council did so. But in fact, the Fourth Ecumenical Council, after having read both of these Creeds, explicitly explained, that the Second Ecumenical Council didn't introduce "anything that had been lacking in their predecessors". It introduced the complete teaching on the Holy Spirit, because in the previous Creed there were only four words about Holy Spirit: "...And in the Holy Ghost". Whereas Filioque addition really looks so, as it "had been lacking in their predecessors".
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 01:36:17 PM »

What I wanted to say: Roman Catholics often say, that they could change the Creed, because the Second Ecumenical Council did so. But in fact, the Fourth Ecumenical Council, after having read both of these Creeds, explicitly explained, that the Second Ecumenical Council didn't introduce "anything that had been lacking in their predecessors". It introduced the complete teaching on the Holy Spirit, because in the previous Creed there were only four words about Holy Spirit: "...And in the Holy Ghost". Whereas Filioque addition really looks so, as it "had been lacking in their predecessors".

I think you've inadvertently supported the Catholic position.

Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 03:19:30 PM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie
Did Fr. Philly O'Cuay pronounce the last rites?

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Vadim

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 04:42:39 PM »

How?
ialmisry
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 05:33:31 PM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie
Did Fr. Philly O'Cuay pronounce the last rites?

In Christ,
Andrew

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 05:36:17 PM »

How?
You haven't, but I'll wait for PJ to argue their case.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 05:36:45 PM by ialmisry » Logged

WetCatechumen
Roman Catholic
Elder

Faith: Catholic Christianity
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite - Archdiocese of Santa Fe; Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Phoenix

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011, 06:03:28 PM »

stay blessed,
habte selassie

Hi HabteSelassie.

1. Here's our (Orthodox) position ...
2. Here's our (Catholic) position ...
3. The positions are the same.
4. The positions are not the same.

I won't try to list, or even count, the many different conversations that have grown out of them.

Usually #3 is satisfied by elijahmaria.

"And because they have nothing better to do, they take cushion and chairs to Rome. And while the Pope is saying liturgy, they go, 'Oh, oh, oh, filioque!' And the Pope say, 'Filioque? That-uh sound nice! I think I divide-uh the Church over it!'" - Comrade Real Presence
WetCatechumen
Roman Catholic
Elder

Faith: Catholic Christianity
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite - Archdiocese of Santa Fe; Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic Eparchy of Phoenix

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2011, 06:04:42 PM »

How?
Because the Niceno-Constantinopolitan Creed was a modification of the Nicene Creed which was in turn a modification of the Apostle's Creed.

"And because they have nothing better to do, they take cushion and chairs to Rome. And while the Pope is saying liturgy, they go, 'Oh, oh, oh, filioque!' And the Pope say, 'Filioque? That-uh sound nice! I think I divide-uh the Church over it!'" - Comrade Real Presence
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2011, 06:09:26 PM »

Clearly, "not as though they were introducing anything that had been lacking in their predecessors" doesn't mean there are no statements in the Creed of 381 that weren't in the Creed of 325.

The Creed of 381 contained a statement that wasn't in the Creed of 325, but it didn't introduce "anything that had been lacking in their predecessors" because the statement in question was already part of the deposit of faith.

The Creed of Toledo contained a statement that wasn't in the Creed of 381 (i.e. that the eternal procession of the Spirit is from the Son as well as the Father), but it didn't introduce "anything that had been lacking in their predecessors" because the statement in question was already part of the deposit of faith.

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2011, 06:11:17 PM »

How?
Because the Niceno-Constantinopolitan Creed was a modification of the Nicene Creed which was in turn a modification of the Apostle's Creed.
No, it wasn't. The so called Apostles Creed had nothing (except similarity in origins) to do with the Nicene Creed.

filioque is a, heretical, modification of the Nicene-Constantinopolitan Creed.  The Constantinopolitan Creed is an Orthodox expansion of the Nicene Creed.

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2011, 06:14:21 PM »

Clearly, "not as though they were introducing anything that had been lacking in their predecessors" doesn't mean there are no statements in the Creed of 381 that weren't in the Creed of 325.

The Creed of 381 contained a statement that wasn't in the Creed of 325, but it didn't introduce "anything that had been lacking in their predecessors" because the statement in question was already part of the deposit of faith.

The Creed of Toledo contained a statement that wasn't in the Creed of 381 (i.e. that the eternal procession of the Spirit is from the Son as well as the Father), but it didn't introduce "anything that had been lacking in their predecessors" because the statement in question was already part of the deposit of faith.
No, it was not.

The Orthodox Creed of 381 contained no heretical statements, which of course weren't in the Orthodox Creed of 325.  Toledo is a different matter.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2011, 06:16:38 PM »

No, it wasn't. The so called Apostles Creed had nothing (except similarity in origins) to do with the Nicene Creed.

Indeed. Theories that the Apostles' Creed predates the Nicene Creed are tenuous at best.

filioque is a, heretical, modification of the Nicene-Constantinopolitan Creed.

I'd think you'd know by now that saying that doesn't make it true.

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2011, 06:19:42 PM »

Indeed. Theories that the Apostles' Creed predates the Nicene Creed are tenuous at best.

Yes.  Saying the Truth makes it true.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2011, 06:29:30 PM »

No the truth is true even before you say it. You don't make it true.

That's irrelevant anyhow, since what you said isn't true.

Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2011, 07:43:58 PM »

How?

The Nicene Creed is a modification of the Baptismal Creed of Jerusalem.  The Apostle's Creed is a modification of the Baptismal Creed of Rome.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2011, 07:54:23 PM »

No the truth is true even before you say it. You don't make it true.
Didn't even imply I did.  The Truth is true, whether I repeat it or not.

That's irrelevant anyhow, since what you said isn't true.
You saying it doesn't make it true, especially as the Church, speaking otherwise, says its true.

Vadim

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2011, 01:12:39 AM »

Once again: the doctrine concerning the substance of the Spirit was absent at all in the Nicene Creed; for this reason the Definition of the Chalcedone Council names the Creed of 381 as the doctrine concerning the substance of the Spirit:
"...it confirms the doctrine afterwards delivered concerning the substance of the Spirit by the One Hundred and Fifty holy Fathers who assembled in the imperial City"

...whereas the doctrine of procession of the Spirit is already explicitly present in the Creed of 381.
Don't you see the difference?

Since that the Creed of 381 is not "modification" of the previous Creed, it's just another Creed concerning different matter (the Spirit).

As we have four Gospels, that don't "modify" each other but supplement each other; and sure we cannot modify neither of them as if they were "lacking" something.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 01:12:59 AM by Vadim » Logged
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2011, 08:57:54 AM »

Once again: the doctrine concerning the substance of the Spirit was absent at all in the Nicene Creed; for this reason the Definition of the Chalcedone Council names the Creed of 381 as the doctrine concerning the substance of the Spirit:
"...it confirms the doctrine afterwards delivered concerning the substance of the Spirit by the One Hundred and Fifty holy Fathers who assembled in the imperial City"

...whereas the doctrine of procession of the Spirit is already explicitly present in the Creed of 381.

Since that the Creed of 381 is not "modification" of the previous Creed, it's just another Creed concerning different matter (the Spirit).

As we have four Gospels, that don't "modify" each other but supplement each other; and sure we cannot modify neither of them as if they were "lacking" something.

Although you can certainly find, if you look (and it's especially easy with the internet), individual Catholics who think of the Creed of Toledo as a replacement for the Creed of 381, the more official Catholic position is that the Creed of Toledo is simply another (legitimate) creed.

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2011, 11:23:15 AM »

Actually, no.  I do not say that Orthodox and Catholic are the same on all counts.  Far from it!...but we are not so far apart in substantive faith to justify the sin of schism continuing

Mary

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2011, 11:25:17 AM »

How?

The Nicene Creed is a modification of the Baptismal Creed of Jerusalem.  The Apostle's Creed is a modification of the Baptismal Creed of Rome.

Ha!! So happy to see someone note this!!  thankee... Cheesy

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2011, 11:45:24 AM »

Actually, no.  I do not say that Orthodox and Catholic are the same on all counts.  Far from it!...but we are not so far apart in substantive faith to justify the sin of schism continuing

Mary

I don't think WetCatechumen was suggesting that the sin of schism is justified.

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2011, 12:25:48 PM »

Although you can certainly find, if you look (and it's especially easy with the internet), individual Catholics who think of the Creed of Toledo as a replacement for the Creed of 381, the more official Catholic position is that the Creed of Toledo is simply another (legitimate) creed.
But it's not. It claims to be the Nicea-Constantinopolitan Creed, and it isn't.

Vadim

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2011, 12:33:47 PM »

The acts of Toledo Councils were corrupted in places concerning procession of the Holy Spirit:

Vid. Zoernicaw. de process. Spir. S. tract. III, p. 288 - 289.

As were the acts of the Seventh Ecumenical Council corrupted, see Hefele on the Seventh Ecumenical Council.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 12:34:08 PM by Vadim » Logged
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2011, 01:26:49 PM »

But it's not. It claims to be the Nicea-Constantinopolitan Creed, and it isn't.

It claims that about itself?

Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2011, 01:59:11 PM »

Nicea=Ecumenical Council
Constantinople=Ecumenical Council
Toledo=Synod of only Western bishops

It doesn't matter whether the Filioque is implied in pre-Toledo beliefs, they simply did not have the authora-tay to amend the Creed (or make a new, binding one).
Vadim

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2011, 01:56:25 AM »

The Symbol of Toledo is indeed another creed; it is not equal to the Constantinople Creed plus Filioque addition: http://www.ewtn.com/library/COUNCILS/TOLEDO.HTM

Whereas the Constantinople Creed plus Filioque addition is not "simply another (legitimate) creed". If it was such, it would have had its own name, and in some official documents of the RCC it would have been read along with Nicene Creed and Constantinople Creed, under some third, specific name. In the same way as Chalcedon Council read both Creeds:

The Definition of Faith of the Council of Chalcedon:

"The Creed of the three hundred and eighteen Fathers at Nice.

We believe in one God, etc.

Item, the Creed of the one hundred and fifty holy Fathers who were assembled at Constantinople.

We believe in one God, etc."

And also both these Creeds were read in the Definition of Faith of the Sixths Ecumenical Council.

Can you find any document where Constantinople Creed was read without addition; and immediately after that Constantinople Creed with the addition was read? Or where all the three Creeds were read beginning with the Nicene Creed.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 02:00:37 AM by Vadim » Logged
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2011, 08:29:25 AM »

Hmm. I have to admit that I've not seen that before. I'll give it some thought.

Tags: filioque 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: