Author Topic: Two Orthodox churches in England among those given repair grants  (Read 372 times)

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Leave me alone, I was only singing
    • Alaska Volcanoes
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
Two Orthodox churches in the East Midlands, England, are among those given repair grants from the Heritage Lottery Fund. This will make it possible for vital work to be done at the Greek Orthodox Church of the Virgin Mary in Nottingham, and the Serbian Orthodox Church of St. George, in Leicester.

From the article:
In total, about £8m has been awarded to 67 places of worship across England.

:angel:
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

And if I seem a little strange, well, that's because I am

Offline Jharek Carnelian

Re: Two Orthodox churches in England among those given repair grants
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 07:53:48 AM »
It's great to hear this. I would love someone to give the Anglican Church near me a grant. It has a beautiful tower with a marvellous clock that they are trying to raise money for to keep running as it's a local landmark. They need around £6,000. There's also a Church tower from the 13th century that could do with some repairs. It's one of the oldest still constantly used buildings in London and it's fabulous and unique but the wear and tear it's undergone over the ages is of course huge and although it gets some money it could with a great deal more.

And then my heart hath told me:
These will pass,
Will pass and change, will die and be no more,
Things bright and green, things young and happy;
And I have gone upon my way
Sorrowful.

'The Wayfarer' Pádraig Anraí Mac Piarais