OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 04:00:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: before I go tell her...  (Read 944 times) Average Rating: 0
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« on: June 16, 2011, 10:49:54 AM »

ok, the subject is not what you think it is  Grin

My wife and I are having very deep conversations about orthodoxy (which if you remember my first post here, this is a HUGE blessing) and I wanted her to read on her own. Now, my wife, God love her, is not a book person. She;'d prefer websites, etc.

I am well aware that wikipedia is not exactly the best source of information, but after reviewing it myself, it did look pretty good and I was wondering if I could recommend it to her.

primuspilus

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Thankful
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 11:04:32 AM »

I prefer OrthodoxWiki (http://www.orthodoxwiki.org) over Wikipedia.  Also, I usually suggest the Discover Orthodoxy page at the Antiochian website (http://www.antiochian.org/discover) to inquirers for some insightful articles on our faith. I also love this article about Ancenstral vs. Original Sin (http://www.antiochian.org/assets/asset_manager/da42e6049df1d08bff1865c1ac19e759.pdf)

HTH.

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 01:35:29 PM »

One caveat I would have about websites, is they can often have controversial or polemical material that can turn off inquirers. You might want to offer things on a subject by subject basis.

You can also try some EO books in website format! Cheesy

http://www.holytrinitymission.org/books/english/byzantine_theology_j_meyendorf.htm
http://www.intratext.com/X/ENG0804.HTM

I'm going to need this.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 02:15:37 PM »

Thanks for the tips! I appreciate it!

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 02:52:20 PM »

The Spirit is descended!
ok, the subject is not what you think it is  Grin

My wife and I are having very deep conversations about orthodoxy (which if you remember my first post here, this is a HUGE blessing) and I wanted her to read on her own. Now, my wife, God love her, is not a book person. She;'d prefer websites, etc.

I am well aware that wikipedia is not exactly the best source of information, but after reviewing it myself, it did look pretty good and I was wondering if I could recommend it to her.

primuspilus

What article of Wikipedia?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 03:01:30 PM »

I second the sites and advice given above.

As far as Wikipedia...I used it quite frequently in my searches for all things Orthodox (OrthodoxWiki is not as complete as I wish, and I don't have much time to work on that myself Sad). I can't think of anything that was horribly inaccurate or scandalous.

As long as one keeps an open mind, considers the source, and uses other materials to balance and compare (such as the other sites listed above) Wikipedia, I think, it a good fill-in-the-blanks source for simple questions in layman's terms.

Best wishes to you both on this journey!

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 04:17:17 PM »

"These Truths We Hold" could be a nice intro:

http://www.stots.edu/these_truths_we_hold.html

Also, I'm not sure of her background but it can be very helpful to read the stories of others from various backgrounds who chose to enter the Orthodox Church, and for what reasons.

http://journeytoorthodoxy.com/
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 01:37:17 PM »

What article of Wikipedia?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Orthodox_Church

And thanks for all the responses Smiley

primuspilus

Gregory the Great

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 02:38:59 PM »

I think wikipedia is top notch for an overview.

It will let her skim around as she is curious about one subject or another.

This is a place where I might start off by going on about how wikibooks is one of the most underused aspects of wikipedia.

If she is multilingual, it is good to read entry that is a bit short or seemingly incomplete in English in another language, sometimes articles are better covered in non-English versions of wikipedia.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 03:27:38 PM »

If she is multilingual, it is good to read entry that is a bit short or seemingly incomplete in English in another language, sometimes articles are better covered in non-English versions of wikipedia.
Sorry my friend, she's only multi-lingual when she's really mad at me Smiley

primuspilus

Gregory the Great

Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 04:43:25 PM »

primuspilus
laugh

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 08:05:49 PM »

primuspilus

Nice!

Best of luck. Slow and steady.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
DaveInCSA

Faith: Anglican with Orthodox leanings
Jurisdiction: Dixie

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 05:35:50 PM »

You can try and see if she'll listen to Podcasts on Ancient Faith Radio or OCN.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 09:33:19 AM »

Yeah she's off today so I think she'll be looking into alot today.

primuspilus

Gregory the Great

Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 12:46:30 PM »

Yeah she's off today so I think she'll be looking into alot today.

primuspilus
How did it go yesterday?

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011, 02:36:27 PM »

Well, she had alot of questions but she got ill last night so we'll be talking tonight I hope.

primuspilus

Gregory the Great

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: