Author Topic: Father Demetrios Recachinas  (Read 31771 times)

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
Re: Father Demetrios Recachinas
« Reply #90 on: June 22, 2011, 11:59:53 AM »
Clearly there is no circumstance in which a cleric should be criticized by laity. A cleric is above accountability. Just pay you taxes and be quite. If you do not pay your taxes in full you will be excommunicated. Is this understood peasant? A cleric is a representative of God and rules over you in place of Him. You should know this by the sumptuous robes, gold crown, and sceptre of power they wield.

You really should see your doctor about your shoulder, that chip you carry around must weigh you down.  '

I have listened to, and put up with plenty of self righteous types like you at church meetings my entire life belittling the priest, disrespecting others and mocking them. When such people were dying or had a family tragedy though, that same priest would never, ever not be there to provide comfort and support. You just don't get it.

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #91 on: June 22, 2011, 12:02:15 PM »
Re. Reply No. 68, John Ward,

A few comments regarding your post.

You did not note my suggestion to pray for Fr. Demetrios, his family and his parishioners, in my Reply No. 16.

Whether he had a heterosexual affair or if he were openly revealed to be exhibiting alcoholic or drug abuse behavior, I would be advocating that the church forthrightly announce that his behavior is not acceptable for an Orthodox Priest. You'll notice, the Archdiocesan Chancellor, Bishop Andonios, obfuscates, to be polite, the question: "The National Herald" (TNH) "Why did Fr. Racachinas resign?"  Bishop Andonios: "For personal reasons...The only thing I can tell you is he resigned for personal reasons."  TNH: "Was he involved in something unethical?"  Bishop Andonios: "Not necessarily."  NOT NECESSARILY?  I don't have the nerve to publically characterize His Grace's responses, except to say, they are inadequate for the Chancellor of the Holy Archdiocese.  The church must be clear that the behavior of this priest, which was witnessed by members of his flock and corroborated by investigators employed by a private attorney, is unacceptable for an Orthodox Priest.  The behavior is not equivalent to the failings about yourself that you've written about; his actions are vile and a matter of public knowledge.  The church must demonstrate that its clergy cannot engage in such behavior.  If a layman who held an official position in a parish, the metropolis or the Archdiocese, I would be advocating for a similar disclosure.  And not by any means do I mean to imply that I am leading some especially sinless life, quite the contrary unfortunately.

Finally, it is Father's unfortunate public actions that are destroying his life, not the internet discussions.  I cannot imagine what he will do, now that he will loose his priesthood and I feel terrible for him, and his family.

The major point of my comments is to criticise the Archdiocese for not being forthright in identifying and correcting the problem resulting from this priest's behavior, not to defame the priest.  You'll notice that in my Reply No. 65, I also noted a problem of financial impropriety of over 16 years ago, as analogous to how the GOAA fails to addresses deviant behavior of it clergy, unfortunately, quite in keeping with our Byzantine roots, and there are plenty more of such instances.  "The National Herald" this week reported that the Archdiocese has paid some $18 million in (former) clergy sexual abuse settlements in recent years, (all or most of it donated specifically for these purposes).

I am a retired lawyer and I would tell the Chancery to 'lawyer up'. I suspect that a good lawyer told them just that. Sorry for all of you into 'full disclosure' and self-flagellation.

You never know the entirety of the facts and in addition to it NOT being the Orthodox praxis to brand sinners with a scarlet A (that story didn't end too well, did it...), if the Archdiocese were to err, or jump to a conclusion, it would subject itself to civil litigation.

Suspending the priest and not allowing him a canonical release or not allowing him to 'swim' to the  omophor of another Bishop ought to be enough for any discerning member of the Church to 'figure it out.'

"God be merciful to me a sinner. ('Боже милостивъ буди мнѣ грѣшномѹ')
God, cleanse me of my sins and have mercy on me. ('Боже ѡчисти грѣхи моѧ и помилѹй мѧ')
I have sinned immeasurably; Lord, forgive me. ('Безъ числа согрѣшихъ, Господи прости мѧ')"
The Priest has not been suspended pending an investigation. He has not been disciplined in any manner. In fact he was praised by Bishop Adonios.

Did you ever hear this in Liturgy, or were you too busy worrying about your neighbor's sins?

"He spoke also this parable to certain people who were convinced of their own righteousness, and who despised all others. "Two men went up into the temple to pray; one was a Pharisee, and the other was a tax collector. The Pharisee stood and prayed to himself like this: 'God, I thank you, that I am not like the rest of men, extortioners, unrighteous, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week. I give tithes of all that I get.' But the tax collector, standing far away, wouldn't even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, 'God, be merciful to me, a sinner!' I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but he who humbles himself will be exalted."
– Luke 18:9-14"

Offline katherineofdixie

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #92 on: June 22, 2011, 12:10:14 PM »
Clearly there is no circumstance in which a cleric should be criticized by laity. A cleric is above accountability. Just pay you taxes and be quite. If you do not pay your taxes in full you will be excommunicated. Is this understood peasant? A cleric is a representative of God and rules over you in place of Him. You should know this by the sumptuous robes, gold crown, and sceptre of power they wield.

Oh, hogwash. I'm too much of a lady to say what I really think.

Try actually reading other peoples' posts. Or considering someone else's pov. You might be surprised by how much you can learn.
"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom

Offline Shanghaiski

• Taxiarches
  • Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia
« Reply #93 on: June 22, 2011, 12:14:12 PM »
Father Demetrios Recachinas ...   :-X
What do you hope to accomplish by bringing this subject up?
What do you hope to accomplish by covering up the actions of this priest? What do you hope to accomplish by covering up the fact that the hierarchy knew about the misconduct of this priest atleast by 2009 and covered it up?
Rather than accuse me of participating in a cover-up, why don't you just answer my question? What are you trying to accomplish with this thread?

Reporting the news like the section title says would be what most people not trying to cover something up would assume.
But why THIS bit of news?
Why try to cover up THIS bit of news?
I can see that I'm never going to get an answer from you except false assumptions of my motives, so I'm bowing out of this charade of a discussion.
And the truth will be heard regardless of your efforts to cover it up.

Would you like God to reveal all your sins to everyone?
Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.

Offline John Ward

• Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese
« Reply #94 on: June 22, 2011, 12:17:58 PM »

Who are we to criticize anyone, clergy or laity? St. James warns, in his epistle,

Do not speak evil of one another, brethren. He who speaks evil and judges his brother, speaks evil of the law and judges the law. But if you judge the law, you are not a doer of the law but a judge. There is one Lawgiver who is able to save and to destroy. Who are you to judge another?"
(James 4:11-12)

We are warned not criticize anyone. Jesus warns us several times and it's further said by several saints.

As for the rest of your post, I have only this to say...what? Where did you get this? It makes no sense to me, in any way.

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #95 on: June 22, 2011, 12:28:01 PM »

Try actually reading other peoples' posts. Or considering someone else's pov. You might be surprised by how much you can learn.
Dart has consecrated himself infallible pontiff, so he has no need of learning from us fallible humans.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #96 on: June 22, 2011, 01:03:43 PM »

Dart has consecrated himself infallible pontiff, so he has no need of learning from us fallible humans.

Perhaps he is just baiting us?

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #97 on: June 22, 2011, 02:39:47 PM »

Perhaps he is just baiting us?

Think of a hamster running in its wheel (or a cat trying to run up a sliding board) - all the energy spent with no results as the hamster (or cat) furiously increases his speed thinking it's going to breakthrough.  The OP wastes bandwidth to go nowhere....
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 02:43:15 PM by SolEX01 »

Offline Irish Melkite

• Information Mongeror
  • OC.net guru
    • Byzantine Forum
« Reply #98 on: June 23, 2011, 03:26:20 AM »
Until very recently, and sometimes still, it has been difficult if not impossible to defend how the hierarchs of our Churches (be they Catholic, Orthodox, or otherwise) have handled instances of clerical sexual scandal of any kind - abuse, infidelity, or any other form of sexual acting out. And there is no excuse, but the same factors are generally at play in impeding all established ecclesia in responding to such events.

When the day is done, one fact is clear. Irrespective of the dogmatic, doctrinal, theological, spiritual, and praxis elements embodied in any religion, the principals who represent the religion to its followers - who effectively are perceived to be God's representatives, however its faithful perceive God, are men and women - human beings. While persons of faith believe that their clergy, particularly their hierarchy, occupy a position of special standing in God's sight (and, hopefully, they do), those individuals are still - before all else - humans subject to all the vagaries, weaknesses, and illusions that plague all of the creatures with whom God has populated the earth.

Putting aside the weaknesses of character and the moral, spiritual, and mental defects that obviously afflict those who engage in such behavior, one has to look to the leadership of any given Church and wonder how it could:

fail to recognize that this was happening,
choose to not accept that it could happen,
respond inadequately when made aware of it,
deny the existence of it,
facilitate its ongoing continuance,
seek to minimize its extent at victim expense,
make excuses as to why it happened
fail to implement adequate measures to prevent recurrences.

And, yes, all of our Churches have done all of these things at one time or another.

God has given man, including those charged with guiding His Churches, free will. Often, we only consider what that means in terms of whether it is exercised to sin or not sin. However, it also represents the capacity to exercise one's talents to their fullest, not at all, or to any extent along the continuum between those two extremes. We see this every day, when persons acknowledged as "smart" do "stupid" things. What does this have to do with the issue?

Consider how many individuals, committed to God's work here on earth, are so incredibly seized with naivete that they cannot perceive of evil done by a peer in God's service and fully imagine that anyone alleging it is somehow seeking to sabotage the work of God Himself.

Consider how many individuals in positions of authority in a Church perceive themselves obliged to assure that God's Church not be embarrassed - as if allowing such would somehow cause God to be embarrassed.

Consider that men in positions of authority in the Church do not necessarily achieve such roles because of their ability to deal with the sometimes ugly realities of the world and, faced with same, are clueless as to how to resolve them.

The answer to why and how this happened, why and how it was allowed to happen, why and how the opportunity to prevent it was allowed to slip past, why and how the opportunity to deal with it was allowed to slip past - the answer is the same. The Church may be of God, but it is comprised of men - humans - fallible, sinful, weak, humans.

Anyone who claims that such sin as this has been overblown ought to seek out the Mystery of Penance and confess pridefulness and arrogance. That all of our Churches have been besmirched to the extent that they have should be cautionary to all of us - the perception of the Church lies in how we, the faithful, present ourselves and our Church to the larger world. While there may be a statistically equal opportunity for one to be molested or sexually solicited by a lifeguard, a plumber, a teacher, a lawyer, a television anchorperson, or an accountant, none of those are representative of a worldwide entity which portrays itself as an avenue to salvation. We are judged as what we put ourselves forth to be - and, in the case of a Church - of a Faith - the standard is raised accordingly. Persons who don't recognize that are blind in their faith about their Faith - not anything God ever asked of us.

That said, rather than taking some perverse pleasure in further publicizing the circumstances of this scandal, as Dart seems inclined to do (its own form of salaciousness and prurience, whether he recognizes it or not), I'd be more inclined to suggest prayers for all involved - the priest, the hierarchs, and most especially the victims, who include both Father's earthly family and his former spiritual family - the parishioners whose very faith may be threatened by what they perceive as betrayal of their trust in him as God's representative.

Many years,

Neil
"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory

Offline Basil 320

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #99 on: June 23, 2011, 03:32:15 AM »
I apologize to those who may have been angered by my commentary in this topic.  It never was my intention to add condemnation upon this cleric; (I think I may have met him when he was a seminarian, during a Summer seminarian tour which included my parish).  I will pray for his recovery and hope the church will assist him in that regard.  Twenty-nine plus years in a parish of this size, he must have had an otherwise successful ministry, sanctifying its faithful.

The purposes of my posts herein were to advocate for more forthright acknowledgement from the Chancellor of the Holy Archdiocese.  I find myself very frequently advocating for support for the Holy Metropolis under which my parish exists, and for the support of the Holy Archdiocese, and the greater church in general, among my fellow parishioners who tend to understand the parish in a congregationalist environment.  Bishop Andonios' responses to "The National Herald" only feed the critics of the hierarchical administration of our church, in my opinion.  Some of the faithful of Fr. Demetrios' former parish must have a similar attitude toward the greater church, engaging a private attorney and investigators, rather than working through the official channels of the church.  Not-with-standing what the church may have done or may be doing on behalf of this priest, I still believe the church has a responsibility to declare publically the unacceptability of the priest's public behavior that probably accounts for his resignation from the parish.

The manner in which the church has thus far publically handled this problem, reminds me of former Metropolitan Herman's intentions to ignore the financial malfeasance issues the OCA had experienced  several years ago, when he asked the Metropolitan Council to move on "for the good of the church."  I've always respected the clergy and laity of the OCA who tenaciously stood up to pursue the SIC investigation that resulted in an accounting to the church of the malfeasance related to their stewardship contributions.

I remain a believer in open administration in church affairs, that the church administrators have a responsibility to declare to the non-Orthodox general public and to their faithful, publically revealed deviant behavior of their clergy, in diplomatic, not explicit terms, and I've certainly made my points in this regard herein.  I intend to limit my commentary in this matter, at this point.

May God bless and continue to enlighten, all of you who have written your perspectives on this topic, Fr. Demetrios, his family, the parishioners of Holy Trinity Church, and those entrusted with the administration of the Holy Archdiocese.
"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."

Offline katherineofdixie

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #100 on: June 23, 2011, 09:47:54 AM »
I apologize to those who may have been angered by my commentary in this topic.  It never was my intention to add condemnation upon this cleric; (I think I may have met him when he was a seminarian, during a Summer seminarian tour which included my parish).  I will pray for his recovery and hope the church will assist him in that regard.  Twenty-nine plus years in a parish of this size, he must have had an otherwise successful ministry, sanctifying its faithful.

The purposes of my posts herein were to advocate for more forthright acknowledgement from the Chancellor of the Holy Archdiocese.  I find myself very frequently advocating for support for the Holy Metropolis under which my parish exists, and for the support of the Holy Archdiocese, and the greater church in general, among my fellow parishioners who tend to understand the parish in a congregationalist environment.  Bishop Andonios' responses to "The National Herald" only feed the critics of the hierarchical administration of our church, in my opinion.  Some of the faithful of Fr. Demetrios' former parish must have a similar attitude toward the greater church, engaging a private attorney and investigators, rather than working through the official channels of the church.  Not-with-standing what the church may have done or may be doing on behalf of this priest, I still believe the church has a responsibility to declare publically the unacceptability of the priest's public behavior that probably accounts for his resignation from the parish.

The manner in which the church has thus far publically handled this problem, reminds me of former Metropolitan Herman's intentions to ignore the financial malfeasance issues the OCA had experienced  several years ago, when he asked the Metropolitan Council to move on "for the good of the church."  I've always respected the clergy and laity of the OCA who tenaciously stood up to pursue the SIC investigation that resulted in an accounting to the church of the malfeasance related to their stewardship contributions.

I remain a believer in open administration in church affairs, that the church administrators have a responsibility to declare to the non-Orthodox general public and to their faithful, publically revealed deviant behavior of their clergy, in diplomatic, not explicit terms, and I've certainly made my points in this regard herein.  I intend to limit my commentary in this matter, at this point.

May God bless and continue to enlighten, all of you who have written your perspectives on this topic, Fr. Demetrios, his family, the parishioners of Holy Trinity Church, and those entrusted with the administration of the Holy Archdiocese.

I agree with almost all of this, except for a couple of things. First of all, considering the National Herald, I don't think Bishop Andonios owed them any kind of answer, particularly not when it concerns a "personnel issue."
In my experience and observation, dealing with a problem priest, whatever the problem, is a process, and it is inappropriate (and possibly illegal) for the persons involved to comment on it or reveal details while that process is ongoing. It takes time to investigate allegations or actions, to convene a spiritual court etc.
As I said before, a local parish experienced a similar problem, and to outsiders, it probably looked like nothing was being done, but quite a lot was going on behind the scenes, involving the bishop, the erring priest and other priests.
But at the end of the day, I don't need all the sordid details - that is not really transparency. It is none of my business. It is enough to know that the priest was defrocked, for moral reasons or whatever reason the Holy Synod chooses to give.
"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #101 on: June 23, 2011, 09:49:29 AM »
Until very recently, and sometimes still, it has been difficult if not impossible to defend how the hierarchs of our Churches (be they Catholic, Orthodox, or otherwise) have handled instances of clerical sexual scandal of any kind - abuse, infidelity, or any other form of sexual acting out. And there is no excuse, but the same factors are generally at play in impeding all established ecclesia in responding to such events.

When the day is done, one fact is clear. Irrespective of the dogmatic, doctrinal, theological, spiritual, and praxis elements embodied in any religion, the principals who represent the religion to its followers - who effectively are perceived to be God's representatives, however its faithful perceive God, are men and women - human beings. While persons of faith believe that their clergy, particularly their hierarchy, occupy a position of special standing in God's sight (and, hopefully, they do), those individuals are still - before all else - humans subject to all the vagaries, weaknesses, and illusions that plague all of the creatures with whom God has populated the earth.

Putting aside the weaknesses of character and the moral, spiritual, and mental defects that obviously afflict those who engage in such behavior, one has to look to the leadership of any given Church and wonder how it could:

fail to recognize that this was happening,
choose to not accept that it could happen,
respond inadequately when made aware of it,
deny the existence of it,
facilitate its ongoing continuance,
seek to minimize its extent at victim expense,
make excuses as to why it happened
fail to implement adequate measures to prevent recurrences.

And, yes, all of our Churches have done all of these things at one time or another.

God has given man, including those charged with guiding His Churches, free will. Often, we only consider what that means in terms of whether it is exercised to sin or not sin. However, it also represents the capacity to exercise one's talents to their fullest, not at all, or to any extent along the continuum between those two extremes. We see this every day, when persons acknowledged as "smart" do "stupid" things. What does this have to do with the issue?

Consider how many individuals, committed to God's work here on earth, are so incredibly seized with naivete that they cannot perceive of evil done by a peer in God's service and fully imagine that anyone alleging it is somehow seeking to sabotage the work of God Himself.

Consider how many individuals in positions of authority in a Church perceive themselves obliged to assure that God's Church not be embarrassed - as if allowing such would somehow cause God to be embarrassed.

Consider that men in positions of authority in the Church do not necessarily achieve such roles because of their ability to deal with the sometimes ugly realities of the world and, faced with same, are clueless as to how to resolve them.

The answer to why and how this happened, why and how it was allowed to happen, why and how the opportunity to prevent it was allowed to slip past, why and how the opportunity to deal with it was allowed to slip past - the answer is the same. The Church may be of God, but it is comprised of men - humans - fallible, sinful, weak, humans.

Anyone who claims that such sin as this has been overblown ought to seek out the Mystery of Penance and confess pridefulness and arrogance. That all of our Churches have been besmirched to the extent that they have should be cautionary to all of us - the perception of the Church lies in how we, the faithful, present ourselves and our Church to the larger world. While there may be a statistically equal opportunity for one to be molested or sexually solicited by a lifeguard, a plumber, a teacher, a lawyer, a television anchorperson, or an accountant, none of those are representative of a worldwide entity which portrays itself as an avenue to salvation. We are judged as what we put ourselves forth to be - and, in the case of a Church - of a Faith - the standard is raised accordingly. Persons who don't recognize that are blind in their faith about their Faith - not anything God ever asked of us.

That said, rather than taking some perverse pleasure in further publicizing the circumstances of this scandal, as Dart seems inclined to do (its own form of salaciousness and prurience, whether he recognizes it or not), I'd be more inclined to suggest prayers for all involved - the priest, the hierarchs, and most especially the victims, who include both Father's earthly family and his former spiritual family - the parishioners whose very faith may be threatened by what they perceive as betrayal of their trust in him as God's representative.

Many years,

Neil

As always, thanks for your insight and exposition. Many years!  منذ سنوات عديدة!

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #102 on: June 23, 2011, 09:54:16 AM »

I agree with almost all of this, except for a couple of things. First of all, considering the National Herald, I don't think Bishop Andonios owed them any kind of answer, particularly not when it concerns a "personnel issue."
In my experience and observation, dealing with a problem priest, whatever the problem, is a process, and it is inappropriate (and possibly illegal) for the persons involved to comment on it or reveal details while that process is ongoing. It takes time to investigate allegations or actions, to convene a spiritual court etc.
As I said before, a local parish experienced a similar problem, and to outsiders, it probably looked like nothing was being done, but quite a lot was going on behind the scenes, involving the bishop, the erring priest and other priests.
But at the end of the day, I don't need all the sordid details - that is not really transparency. It is none of my business. It is enough to know that the priest was defrocked, for moral reasons or whatever reason the Holy Synod chooses to give.

Having been interviewed many, many times over the years by the local media in relation to my public office as municipal counsel, I can say with certainty that we do not know what the Bishop actually said to the Herald. For better or for worse, like any form of the media, the Herald has its own agenda and willingly fashions itself in the manner of a metro tabloid paper. I am sure that the good bishop did say what they put in the article, but we don't know what else he said or the context in which he said it. It is really easy for any journalist - from the top shelf papers of the world to the cheesiest blogger, to make anyone sound bad. Like Mom used to say, consider the source!