OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 06:33:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Image and Likeness of God  (Read 1005 times) Average Rating: 5
Poppy
OC.net guru

Faith: Muslim
Jurisdiction: Hanbali fiqh

onlytwatsusetwitter
« on: June 19, 2011, 12:59:44 PM »

The other question hanging around is about the image and likeness. Jesus was the likeness of God, right?? And every person has the image of God but the likeness has gone somewhere. Why?? And can you explain that a bit better, why the words are seperate. Ta
Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 01:05:07 PM »

The other question hanging around is about the image and likeness. Jesus was the likeness of God, right?? And every person has the image of God but the likeness has gone somewhere. Why?? And can you explain that a bit better, why the words are seperate. Ta

Do you think you are in the same image of Jesus? Are you human, two hands, two feet, eat and drink and breath, etc. I think so.

Are you God-like? Probably not yet  Smiley

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 02:11:25 PM »

Do you think you are in the same image of Jesus? Are you human, two hands, two feet, eat and drink and breath, etc. I think so.

Well i was told it was the image of God and the likeness of Jesus

so now it's the image of Jesus and the likeness of God!?!?

Make up your mind lolOl
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 02:26:53 PM »

The other question hanging around is about the image and likeness. Jesus was the likeness of God, right??

Jesus is God.  Jesus is the Son of God.  No one has seen God the Father; yet, people saw Jesus who lived among man until being crucified and his subsequent resurrection from the dead.

And every person has the image of God but the likeness has gone somewhere. Why??

Because God breathed into the clay nostrils and created Adam.  Adam was created in the likeness of God; hence, all people are created in the likeness of God.

And can you explain that a bit better, why the words are seperate. Ta

Allegories can be hard to understand.  If you see the icons of the Saints of the Orthodox Church, all of them bear some resemblance to Christ (e.g. God) while maintaining characteristics like hair color, etc.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 07:18:35 PM »

Well i was told it was the image of God and the likeness of Jesus

so now it's the image of Jesus and the likeness of God!?!?

Make up your mind lolOl

Jesus = God

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 10:42:11 PM »

Greetings in that Divine and Most Precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

The Mystery of the Incarnation teaches that the Word, the Second Person of the Trinity, Co-Equal to the Father in regards to the Godhead/Divinity, took on the form of flesh and blood from the egg (the Pearl) in the womb of Our Lady the Virgin Mary, who was an entirely human woman born of the genealogy of David of Abraham of Adam, born Lawfully but in the fractured condition of Original Sin though sinless in her lifetime in the Grace of God.

In taking on this flesh and blood the Word became a human being like ourselves in every respect and yet maintained the perfection of His Divinity which He always possessed, indeed which is the core and Essence of His being as a Co-Equal Person of the Trinity.  In this human incarnation we can literally see and perceive Jesus Christ in the physical, tangible sense, something which the Immateriality of the Godhead denies us of the Father.  However, in that the Godhead is Incarnated in the Person of the Son, through this Union of the Divine and Human Nature into the God-Man Jesus Christ, we can now see an Image of the Father, which Jesus Christ as the Word always was.  Jesus Christ as the Eternal Word of God is the Image of the Father, however it was not until the Incarnation that this Image condescended into a form which was perceptible to we human beings. This is not just in a purely physical sense, as we as human beings can perceive each other perhaps more deeply, spiritually than just the material or physical appearances.  We "know" our parents, spouses, siblings, even our intimate friends in an unexplainable way, something beyond physical, and in this, we can also "know" and "feel" Jesus Christ as the Image of God.  Just as incense or smoke gives a visible form to the otherwise formless and immaterial force of wind, so to does the Flesh and Blood of our Savior give a visible form to the Immateriality of the Godhead.

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 04:38:15 PM »

Jesus was the likeness of God, right??
Wrong. As others have said, Jesus IS God, not merely the likeness of God.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 05:23:41 PM »

NicholasMyra
"Our ability to truly love comes from our being made in the Image and Likeness of God. Mankind's image of God within became distorted, and it lost the likeness of God. Christ made it possible for us to restore that likeness and un-cloud that image through communion with Him."

Ok i found it, THIS is what i misunderstood, a quote from the "Loving God Question" thread that i have been thinking about for days.

Mankinds image of God within became distorted and it lost the likeness

I think i misunderstood which we lost and which we still have got.
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 05:25:59 PM »

Jesus was the likeness of God, right??
Wrong. As others have said, Jesus IS God, not merely the likeness of God.
Yep i know that, sorry i didn't mean to say he wasn't. I studied that months ago and the high priest rent his clothes and he wouldn't have done that if he didn't have known what Jesus was rli saying. So yeah, that was proof enough for me that Jesus was saying he was God. That's all i needed.
Cheers the ozgeorge
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 05:30:13 PM »

No one has seen God the Father

yeah solEX01, someone saw his face..... Exodus 33:11 "And the LORD spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend."

and Manoah

Judges 13:22 "And Manoah said unto his wife, We shall surely die, because we have seen God."
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 05:34:05 PM by Poppy » Logged
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 06:01:27 PM »

yeah solEX01, someone saw his face..... Exodus 33:11 "And the LORD spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend."

and Manoah

Judges 13:22 "And Manoah said unto his wife, We shall surely die, because we have seen God."
Moses was speaking the the Son. It was the Son Who spoke in the Burning Bush, the Son who spoke with Moses on Mt. Sinai, and Who was the Pillar of Cloud by day and the Pillar of Fire by night. The same Son stood with the youths in the Fiery Furnace.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
joasia

Jurisdiction: RTOC

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 06:21:09 PM »

and Manoah

It was Jesus Christ that they saw face to face.  He was always there at the beginning, He just didn't come in the flesh until that certain point in time.

Stillness,  prayer, love and self-control are a four-horsed chariot bearing the intellect to Heaven. (Philokalia 2: p.308 - #24) - St. Thalassios

The proper activity of the intellect is to be attentive at every moment to the words of God.   (Philokalia 2: p. 308 - # 30) - St. Thalassios
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 06:22:18 PM »

Oh okies, thanks!

The Word was in the beginning, Jesus was the flesh version.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 06:23:22 PM by Poppy » Logged
joasia

Jurisdiction: RTOC

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 06:26:30 PM »

Poppy, I see that you really have an ability to understand these concepts.  You nailed it in one sentence.

Stillness,  prayer, love and self-control are a four-horsed chariot bearing the intellect to Heaven. (Philokalia 2: p.308 - #24) - St. Thalassios

The proper activity of the intellect is to be attentive at every moment to the words of God.   (Philokalia 2: p. 308 - # 30) - St. Thalassios
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 07:06:02 PM »

and Manoah

In the Old Testament, an "Angel of the Lord" is equivalent to Jesus Christ since Jesus Christ, while he existed, was pre-figured in the Old Testament (as ozgeorge already mentioned in the Burning Bush when Christ said that He was God of the Living, not of the Dead).

But you're spot on when you said that the Word (e.g. what the Angel of the Lord told Manoah) became the incarnated Jesus Christ who is both God as well as Son of God.   Smiley
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2011, 11:35:54 AM »

Adam was created in the likeness of God; hence, all people are created in the likeness of God.

How did you make that leap of dodgy logic given that Adam was blew into and we are all created by our own bodies?? I thought the likeness was spiritual??
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2011, 11:59:15 AM »

Adam was created in the likeness of God; hence, all people are created in the likeness of God.

How did you make that leap of dodgy logic given that Adam was blew into and we are all created by our own bodies?? I thought the likeness was spiritual??

Physical and Spiritual - read Genesis 1:26-28.   Smiley  Adam and Eve were created by God.  The first child of Adam and Eve was created by sexual reproduction; hence, that first child inherited his parents' likeness and by extension inherited God's likeness ... same for every person ever born on Earth.
Poppy
OC.net guru

onlytwatsusetwitter
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2011, 12:15:35 PM »

Physical and Spiritual - read Genesis 1:26-28.   Smiley  Adam and Eve were created by God.  The first child of Adam and Eve was created by sexual reproduction; hence, that first child inherited his parents' likeness and by extension inherited God's likeness ... same for every person ever born on Earth.
Nope i don't get it. So for the first child born and all subsequent children born, the likeness is spiritual. Otherwise it's anthropomorphic??
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2011, 12:24:31 PM »

Nope i don't get it. So for the first child born and all subsequent children born, the likeness is spiritual. Otherwise it's anthropomorphic??

Sure, you can use the term, anthropomorphic, but Orthodox Christians use the term "image and likeness of God."

St. Gregory Palamas argues that it is not sufficient to simply connect the image of God with man's intellect because man's nature is "mixed," material as well as intellectual. Thus, St. Gregory explains that the image of God embraces the entire person, body as well as soul. The fact that man has a body makes his nature more complete than the angelic and endowed with richer possibilities.
Seraphim98
High Elder

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2011, 02:17:55 PM »

Hate to be a party pooper…but generally speaking we are not in the likeness of God. Not even Adam in his perfection was in God's likeness. Image and likeness are not synonymous terms.

Notice how in Genesis it says that God said "let us make man in our own image and likeness", but when we are first shown Adam, the reference is only to him being in God's image ("God made him in His own image [no likeness mentioned]).  From this the Fathers deduced that to become the likeness of God was Adam's task in creation. It was what he should become if he remained faithful to God in the Garden.  That didn't quite happen though.

Christ, the new Adam, fulfilled that original task and became in His humanity the likeness of God. This does not mean He was not God anyway, just that he emptied Himself to become man, and as the new man fulfilled what God set before the old.  Hence as we come into union with Christ, we become partakers of His fulfillment of that ancient call unto likeness. That transfiguring union is what heals us. This coming to His likeness is the very content of our salvation. As St. Paul says…we grow "to the measure of the fullness of the stature of Christ" 

The saints are those among us who approach, perhaps even achieve "likeness" in fact and not in potentiality. 

Some of the Fathers explained this distinction between image and likeness in terms of the making of icon.  When icon is first sketched out in outline, this is the image, but as the gold is applied and the colors laid in layer by layer, the image at last becomes the likeness.
Tags: image  likeness 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: