OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 03:38:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Pictures from Armenia and of Armenian Churches  (Read 2187 times) Average Rating: 0
Gisasargavak

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Church - Holy See of Echmiadzin

Առէ'ք, Կերէ'ք այս է մարմին իմ:

« on: June 19, 2011, 01:08:55 AM »

Hello all, I recently spent 5 months in Armenia and it was one of the most fulfilling experiences I've had in my life. It was great living in Armenia not just as a tourist, but as a participant in the country's development. It was also very spiritually fulfilling as well as there are numerous ancient churches in Armenia that you can go into, light a candle, and pray. I went on regular pilgrimages to these churches as well as Holy Echmiadzin, the spiritual home of all Armenians. I thought I might post some of my more interesting pictures for you to enjoy. Asdvadz tsezi bahe.

Church in Ashtarak

7th century (renovated) church in the small village of Bazmabert, after St. Gevorg's

Humble altar inside of St. Gevorg's

10-11th century church in Bjni, after St. Asdvadzadzin (Mother of God)

Lit candles inside of St. Asdvadzadzin
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 01:31:27 AM by Gisasargavak » Logged
Gisasargavak

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 01:21:09 AM »

7th century remnants of a fortress from the Bagratuni Dynasty, Bjni

His Holiness Garegin II offering the Divine Liturgy in Holy Echmiadzin on Christmas

Cathedral of the Seven Wounds of the Holy Mother of God in Gyumri (formerly Alexandropol/Leninakan, 17th century)
Gisasargavak

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 01:26:35 AM »

Two churches in Shirak Province, near the Turkish border and the ruined city of Ani

St. Grigor the Enlighter Cathedral, Yerevan

Two pictures of the 9th century Tatev Monastery (renovated)

Mt. Ararat as seen from the capital

Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 01:36:37 AM »

What beautiful pictures!  Thank you for sharing.

I have a question about the Cathedral of the Seven Wounds of the Holy Mother of God in Gyumri.  Out of curiosity, is that an Armenian-Catholic cathedral (in communion with Rome?)  I'm asking because I've heard that there are a lot of Armenian Catholics in Gyumri, and the name of the Cathedral would be a bit unusual for an Armenian (Arakelagan) church.

Gisasargavak

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 01:42:08 AM »

What beautiful pictures!  Thank you for sharing.

I have a question about the Cathedral of the Seven Wounds of the Holy Mother of God in Gyumri.  Out of curiosity, is that an Armenian-Catholic cathedral (in communion with Rome?)  I'm asking because I've heard that there are a lot of Armenian Catholics in Gyumri, and the name of the Cathedral would be a bit unusual for an Armenian (Arakelagan) church.

Thanks for the compliments. Smiley

I'm almost positive the Cathedral is an Arakelagan church, but I could be wrong. I went in there on the Feast of the Holy Translators and they were serving Badarak, but I've heard that the Armenian Catholic liturgy is almost the same as the Apostolic one, so I guess that's no indicator either. However, I was with a group when I went here and I heard no mention of it being Catholic made at all.
copticmind

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Alexandria

GeorgeFahim
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 05:56:28 AM »

Thanks for sharing these interesting pictures.
The only Armenian Church I have ever seen, was in Cairo, Egypt. It has the same architectural style as the ones you shared with us.
Now I feel more tempted to visit it, and see it from the inside...When I go back to Egypt, God willing.

Ⲡⲁϭⲟⲓⲥ Ⲓⲏⲥ Ⲡⲭⲥ ⳿ⲡϣⲏⲣⲓ ⳿ⲙ⳿Ⲫⲛⲟⲩϯ ⲛⲁⲓ ⲛⲏⲓ ⲁⲛⲟⲕ ⲡⲓⲣⲉϥⲉⲣⲛⲟⲃⲓ
يا ربي يسوع المسيح ابن الله ارحمني أنا الخاطئ
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 06:37:13 AM »

Gisasargavak,

Beautiful photos indeed. Thanks for posting them.

Many years,

Neil

I have a question about the Cathedral of the Seven Wounds of the Holy Mother of God in Gyumri.  Out of curiosity, is that an Armenian-Catholic cathedral (in communion with Rome?)  I'm asking because I've heard that there are a lot of Armenian Catholics in Gyumri, and the name of the Cathedral would be a bit unusual for an Armenian (Arakelagan) church.

Salpy,

Although the Armenian Catholic Eparchy of Armenia and Eastern Europe has its seat in Gyumri, a significant majority of the population are faithful of the Armenian Apostolic Church.. The Cathedral of the Seven Wounds or Sorrows of the Holy Mother is the cathedral of the Diocese of Shirak of the Armenian Apostolic Church.

Many years,

Neil  
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 06:39:56 AM by Irish Melkite » Logged

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 08:48:29 AM »

Thanks for sharing these interesting pictures.
The only Armenian Church I have ever seen, was in Cairo, Egypt. It has the same architectural style as the ones you shared with us.
Now I feel more tempted to visit it, and see it from the inside...When I go back to Egypt, God willing.
The one on Ramsis street?

An oasis in the midst of a concrete jungle.

There is also one on the lovely (at least when I was there. Urban sprawl might have got it now) square in Beirut (the neighborhood in New Cairo/Heliopolis), in yellow stone IIRC under the Vatican.

-sigh-it's been so long.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 08:50:44 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
copticmind

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Alexandria

GeorgeFahim
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 09:29:43 AM »

^ Yes, I was talking about the one in Ramses Street, I think it has been renovated recently. I may be mistaken but I believe it is the Armenian patriarchate in Cairo, If I am right then it looks like this from inside

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7d/The_Armenian_Orthodox_Patriarchate_and_St._Gregory_The_Illuminator_Armenian_Apostolic_Church_in_Cairo.jpg

And here are more : http://www.agbuegypt.com/Press-Details.aspx?ID=198

I am not familiar with Cairo, and have never seen the one in Beirut street.
It has not been so long for me, but I miss the Church in Egypt dearly.

Ⲡⲁϭⲟⲓⲥ Ⲓⲏⲥ Ⲡⲭⲥ ⳿ⲡϣⲏⲣⲓ ⳿ⲙ⳿Ⲫⲛⲟⲩϯ ⲛⲁⲓ ⲛⲏⲓ ⲁⲛⲟⲕ ⲡⲓⲣⲉϥⲉⲣⲛⲟⲃⲓ
يا ربي يسوع المسيح ابن الله ارحمني أنا الخاطئ
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 11:16:11 AM »

So beautiful! Thanks for posting, Gisasargavak, ialmisry, copticmind.
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 07:47:49 AM »

Beautiful pics, Gisasargavak. Thanks for sharing them with us.

I've been to the St. Vartan's Cathedral in Manhattan and was humbled to venerate the bones of the Holy Martyrs of the Genocide.

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 07:50:35 PM »

Thanks for the wonderful pictures.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 03:28:36 PM »

Wonderful photos!

I've been to the St. Vartan's Cathedral in Manhattan and was humbled to venerate the bones of the Holy Martyrs of the Genocide.

I've been there too! What a small world!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 05:10:04 PM »

Me too, but for Coptic liturgies, not Armenian ones.
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2011, 07:48:07 AM »

Me too, but for Coptic liturgies, not Armenian ones.

I would've been honored to meet you both! I've also been to a Coptic Liturgy there; hope you had a chance to meet Fr. Antonious, a truly wonderful man. I think currently the Coptic Church in Manhatten is renting another facility, but it's been some time so I may be mistaken.

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2011, 01:04:40 AM »

Beautiful churches! Smiley

Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2011, 01:03:52 AM »

Sooo beautiful!! Thank you, for sharing this, dear. I just saw this so please forgive me for the long story I am about to tell you but this reminds me of my first encounter with Armenian Christians.
When I was around 10 years old my bible study teacher told me about the universal church. I wanted to find someone who was not an Ethiopian who was of the same faith. Everyone I know who was not Ethiopian was either Roman Catholic or a protestant of some denomination. He told me about the sister churches. He said  one day when you grow up and can go to places by yourself you might get to meet our Armenian brothers and sisters right here in Addis. He told me they were the first to accept the faith as a country and the story of the king who wrote to the Lord. He told me where the Armenian Church was in Addis. So after a few years my secondary school was located a short distance from St. George Armenian Orthodox Church, and I kept looking out as I passed by every weekday hoping to see someone, but it seemed every time I was going to school that was not the time that the church would be open. Until one day I got off from my ride to school a block away from the Church and started walking toward my school and suddenly I looked and the Church was open! I stood and hesitated whether or not I should stand there watch by the outside gait. All I wanted to see was someone, but from where I stood it was not possible to see well, I could vaguely see some people's back. I was in my school uniform, pressed for time, I did not know if I should just stand there and wait until the service was done or not because this is a rare chance to see a Christian from Armenia. While I was still hesitating lo and behold all of a sudden a priest with incredibly beautiful priestly vestment came out with censor in his arms and chanting in his beautiful voice he stood censing and he looked straight at me, well I was the only one by the iron gate with a red school uniform staring with mouth gaped open.  :)So you could say there was no one else to see. Smiley But at that time I was like O! My Lord thank You! Thank You! I felt blessed somehow. Well let's just say I was floating that day. I told everyone I could tell how beautiful this priest looked how he was holding a censor exactly like our priests do and how he had a beautiful voice until I started to annoy some with my overexcitement. But that day stayed with me till this day it's a joy and comfort that overtakes me when I meet members of the Church.
Thank you again for all these.I hope God willing I might get to do Pilgrimage to Armenia , see all those Holy places and venerate the holy martyrs of Armenia in the very place that is santified by thier blood.
Blessed day.

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2011, 08:16:57 AM »

lovely pictures.
also lovely story, hiwot.
guys who miss egypt - go and visit!
several of my friends have been and returned alive.
yes it's risky, but life is risky anyway, so don't be afraid.
as our previous patriarch said:
كن مطمأنا جدا جدا و لا تفكر في الامر كثيرا بل دع الامر لمن بيده الامر

which roughly translates as: 'be very, very assured and do not think a lot of what is at hand, but leave it to Him who has all things in his hand'.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 08:18:43 AM by mabsoota » Logged
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2011, 02:59:14 PM »

What a wonderful stry, Hiwot! Thank you for sharing it.

Many years,

Neil

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2011, 05:22:19 AM »

Selam everyone Smiley
Mabsoota and Irish Melkite, thank you and for me it is a blessing and an honor to share it with you.

Blessed day:)

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Tags: Armenia  Echmiadzin Armenian Church architecture seven wounds 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: