OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 04:21:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WRO Benedictine oblates  (Read 2703 times) Average Rating: 0
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« on: June 18, 2011, 08:13:13 PM »

I have seen several references online to the existence of Orthodox Benedictine oblates, but the information on the Internet seems a bit scant. Does anyone know more about it?

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
searn77

Faith: Orthodox Old Calendarist
Jurisdiction: Autonomous Orthodox Metropolia of the Americas & the British Isles

St. Philaret (Voznesensky) of New York

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 11:31:05 PM »

I have seen several references online to the existence of Orthodox Benedictine oblates, but the information on the Internet seems a bit scant. Does anyone know more about it?

Here's something about oblates from Christminster, a western rite benedictine ROCOR-MP monastery:
http://christminster.org/about/oblate-observances/

This is from an Antiochian western rite church who has a priest who is an oblate of the Christminster monastery:
http://www.stcolumbachurch.org/benedictine_oblates.html

Another Antiochian western rite church's oblate program:
http://www.stmichaelwhittier.org/dnn/Oblates/OblatesHome/tabid/89/Default.aspx

And here's something from Holy Name Abbey which is an Old Calendarist Orthodox Benedictine monastery of the same Metropolia that I am a part of:
http://holynameabbey.org/vocations.htm

That's all I found on Orthodox Benedictine oblates.  Personally I don't have any experience with western rite Orthodox oblates.  If I remember correctly though, I think there may be some western rite Orthodox on this forum who are oblates but I could be wrong.  And I know Fr. Augustine who is a hierodeacon at Holy Name Abbey sometimes posts on this forum and he may have had some experiences with oblates from our Metropolia.

Let us the faithful now come together to praise our father, protector and teacher the pillar of the Orthodox faith and firm defender of piety even the wondrous hierarch Philaret and let us glorify our Saviour Who has granted us his incorrupt relics as a manifest sign of his sanctity.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 12:51:20 AM »

Somewhere I have a service book or some such thing from the Society of St. Basil (whither went the Metropolia's Western Rite and whence came the Antiochian WR Vicarate) which had something on the oblates, IIRC. I'll see if I can find it (it was on line).

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
peacenprayer

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOMT

ting ting ting

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 11:12:53 AM »

I'm interested in being an oblate but haven't yet visited a western Rite church. Still trying to learn more about both. Are Benedictine oblates limited to the Western Rite?

Chanter, Blacksmith, Tailor, Captain of the Guard. ...I made the last one up.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 07:51:18 PM »

I'm interested in being an oblate but haven't yet visited a western Rite church. Still trying to learn more about both. Are Benedictine oblates limited to the Western Rite?

If I am correct in my understanding of how Benedictines work it is a rule of life not of rite. So in theory one could still follow the rule while practicing the Byzantine form of worship.

Joseph
Ruprecht
Formerly Subdeacon Bob.C

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Church of  N.A.; New England Diocese

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 08:26:24 PM »

FWIW, for the past few years I have been inquiring into and learning about the Oblate program.  I live in Athol MA, a small town in north central Mass. with ALL of the nearby Orthodox churches at distances of 30 to 60 miles.  There is an Orthodox monastery (with only one monk, the pastor of a Romanian Orthodox Church) in Southbridge MA, about 70 miles away.  Proximity is a benefit in any of these programs (!!) but the wife does not want to move!
      However, just down the road a piece is a small Bendictine monastery, in Petersham MA, with about 6 to 8 monks.   One of them, Bro. Jerome Leo, has an excellent daily prayer and Rule reading blog, to which I subscribe. Plus, he told me that they do accept Orthodox Oblates; since western monasticism in part developed from the rules of Saints Pachomius, John Cassian and others, there is a close affinity between the Benedictines and Eastern Orthodoxy.  However, because I am a former Catholic converted to Orthodoxy, they will not allow me to become an Oblate....unless I revert to Rome.  Not gonna happen....  So I have inquired with the Romanian pastor, about his Monastic Associate program, which is similar to the Oblate plan; waiting to hear, after the busy weekend.
     There are some good references at the Benedictine website, www.osb.org which will lead you to a lot more Oblate info.  God bless!
peacenprayer

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOMT

ting ting ting

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 10:49:36 PM »

Thanks for the info!

Cheesy

Chanter, Blacksmith, Tailor, Captain of the Guard. ...I made the last one up.
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 06:05:57 PM »

If I am correct in my understanding of how Benedictines work it is a rule of life not of rite. So in theory one could still follow the rule while practicing the Byzantine form of worship.

Before the 1965 Roman Missal it is rumoured that the Benedictines had a different Roman Missal... I'm not sure of the differences or if they really existed.. I've been to high mass said by a benedictine monk and other than wearing his hood instead of a biretta, I don't know if there is any difference. 

Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 01:47:15 AM »

Before the 1965 Roman Missal it is rumoured that the Benedictines had a different Roman Missal... I'm not sure of the differences or if they really existed.. I've been to high mass said by a benedictine monk and other than wearing his hood instead of a biretta, I don't know if there is any difference. 

The difference was not in the Missal but the Breviary.  The Benedictines follow St. Benedict's arrangement of the Psalms.  There are also differences in the some of the arrangement of the hours. 

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Fr.Aidan
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church (ROCOR)

Ds. superbis resistit; humilibus autem dat gratiam

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 10:19:30 PM »

The Benedictines had their own Missal.

It included, for example, the weekly blessing of the reader done in conjunction with the Sunday High Mass.

It included propers for Saints of special importance to the Benedictine order/tradition.

Whether they still have their own Missal, I don't know.
Tags: Benedictines  Western Rite  oblates 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: