OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 09:04:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (Video) Coptic Hermit - Fr. Nofr  (Read 968 times) Average Rating: 0
Fr.Kyrillos

« on: June 15, 2011, 11:26:10 PM »

Beautiful, yet sad at what the authorities are trying to do to him:

http://vimeo.com/22239744

In Christ,
Fr. Kyrillos
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 12:20:40 AM »

Lord have mercy on Fr. Nofr and all the monks over there!

When Fr. Nofr related how the government emptied his cave of everything, even his clothes, and how he helped them instead of resisting, I recalled a story from the Desert Fathers:

The same Abba Macarius while he was in Egypt discovered a man who owned a beast of burden engaged in plundering Macarius' goods. So he came up to the thief as if he was a stranger and he helped him to load the animal. He saw him off in great peace of soul saying, 'We have brought nothing into this world, and we cannot take anything out of the world.' (1Tim.6.7) 'The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord.' (Job 1.21)

http://en.orthodoxwiki.org/Sayings_of_the_Desert_Fathers#Abba_Macarius_the_Great
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 12:40:22 AM by Salpy » Logged

Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 12:24:07 AM »

Unfortunately, the violent attack on the monastery that we see in the video is not an isolated incident:

Assist News Service reported: The Egyptian uprising has left Coptic Orthodox monasteries exceedingly vulnerable, as the police who normally guard the monasteries have either deserted their posts or been redeployed to the cities. Exploiting the security vacuum, Arab raiders, jihadists and prison escapees have attacked and raided several monasteries. When the monks requested protection at the 5th Century Monastery of St Bishoy in Wadi al-Natroun, some 110km north of Cairo, they were told they would have to fend for themselves. So they built a surrounding security wall, inside their boundary. However, Islamic law mandates that Christians may neither build nor repair churches. (See last week’s RLPB 096 for some examples of consequences.)

On 21 February soldiers arrived at the monastery of St Bishoy in tanks and bulldozers. They had not come to protect the community, but to demolish the security wall. After arguing with the monks and workers, the soldiers opened fire with live ammunition, including rocket-propelled grenades. Father Feltaows was shot in the leg and Father Barnabas in the abdomen. Six monastery workers were also wounded, one critically. The wounded are being treated in the Anglo-Egyptian Hospital in Cairo. The army also attacked the Monastery of St Makarios of Alexandria in Wady el-Rayan, Fayoum, some 130km south-east of Cairo. This monastery likewise had erected a security wall after an attack by armed thugs and Arabs left six monks wounded, one critically. Not only did the military demolish the security wall, they ‘confiscated’ the monastery’s building materials. [View full article here]

http://www.persecution.org/outofegypt/2011/06/06/monk-workers-shot-by-egyptian-army-in-monastery-attack/

copticmind

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Alexandria

GeorgeFahim
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 06:07:46 AM »

These monasteries and monks have a mighty Lord, who is able and willing to protect them..

Lord have mercy..

Ⲡⲁϭⲟⲓⲥ Ⲓⲏⲥ Ⲡⲭⲥ ⳿ⲡϣⲏⲣⲓ ⳿ⲙ⳿Ⲫⲛⲟⲩϯ ⲛⲁⲓ ⲛⲏⲓ ⲁⲛⲟⲕ ⲡⲓⲣⲉϥⲉⲣⲛⲟⲃⲓ
يا ربي يسوع المسيح ابن الله ارحمني أنا الخاطئ
copticyouth93

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 09:02:17 PM »

Modern day saints... People who did nothing to deserve the bullet holes which are so clearly evident in this video.

CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

Ask w/ tears, seek w/ obedience, knock w/ patience

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 11:13:32 PM »

And people think they get the real news from a local anchor. Pshhh even a huge media conglomerate for that matter.

Lord have mercy.

Authentic zeal is not directed towards anything but union in Christ, or against anything but our own fallenness.

"Beardliness is next to Godliness."- Asteriktos
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 02:54:11 PM »

How terrible! Lord, have mercy!!

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 05:42:28 PM »

"The Egyptian government says the monks are a threat to the environment."

Huh Huh

How?!

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Tags: asceticism Monasticism Coptic Orthodox Church persecution Islam Desert Fathers 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: