OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 12:32:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Update on Father Corapi  (Read 10054 times) Average Rating: 0
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #90 on: July 11, 2011, 11:06:56 AM »

My diagnosis would be mid-life crisis.
I agree that there could be something in what you say, but, ostensibly, he was over that when he became a priest, right?
How could he have been in mid-life crisis if he wasn't in mid-life? He was ordained at 44. I'm 45 and still looking forward to my mid-life crisis and growing old disgracefully.

How many priests do you know running around in a Harley jacket other than Corapi? Zero? None?
So the man has bad taste....

Priests are just as open to midlife crises as anyone else, but I suspect they handle it in a different way---in fact, they're supposed to.
Probably, but apparently sometimes not.

Perhaps demon-possessed is a little over the top;
Just a little.

I'm just suggesting that Satan is giving him a particularly hard time, because, you see, I do regard Father Corapi as a godly man. I don't doubt that. He has a very strong personality; everything is in Technicolor.
You think so? I find him rather a hackneyed cliché.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #91 on: July 11, 2011, 11:21:00 AM »

It looks like he's lost a bit of weight, too.

That's a really nice jacket, too, and if you think that makes him look like a "thug," you have no idea what real thugs look like, even if your idea of one is Marlon Brando in the Wild Ones.  He looks like any middle-aged, middle class Harley Davidson enthusiast, most of whom are the furthest thing from thugs.

That's a beautiful jacket. 

And not only do I know Roman rite priests who are Harley enthusiasts but I know eastern Catholic priests and Orthodox priests and they ALL wear nice leather jackets...and sometimes full leathers, depending on the trip.

All this other commentary is just silly.

Until John Corapi can be reinstated by a bishop willing to grant him faculties and give him a fair hearing, not necessarily in that order, then he cannot appear publicly as a priest so he is hardly dressed inappropriately.

Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #92 on: July 11, 2011, 11:44:15 AM »

He reminds me of...The Fonz.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #93 on: July 11, 2011, 11:49:59 AM »

My diagnosis would be mid-life crisis.

I agree that there could be something in what you say, but, ostensibly, he was over that when he became a priest, right? How many priests do you know running around in a Harley jacket other than Corapi? Zero? None? Priests are just as open to midlife crises as anyone else, but I suspect they handle it in a different way---in fact, they're supposed to. Perhaps demon-possessed is a little over the top;

I thought it was.

My diagnosis is that you had a very high opinion of him. Then, when it became difficult to reconcile your opinion with reality, concluding "demonic possession" was easier than lowering your opinion of him.

Did I say "diagnosis"? I guess turn it turned it a wild speculation. Sorry.  Embarrassed

I'm just suggesting that Satan is giving him a particularly hard time, because, you see, I do regard Father Corapi as a godly man. I don't doubt that. He has a very strong personality; everything is in Technicolor.

No comment.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #94 on: July 11, 2011, 12:53:43 PM »

Honestly, how can any of us know if he is guilty or not? I think we can agree, for that most part, that his behavior at least appears strange.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #95 on: July 12, 2011, 02:05:31 AM »

Well, I finally had the opportunity to watch his most recent video. Just a few observations:
1. He is still encouraging people to be faithful to Jesus Christ and his Church, at least in his words.
2. His new look really doesn't seem that off beat. It seems to match his personality, and as person no longer serving as a Priest, there is really nothing wrong with what he wear reflecting his pesonality and personal tastes.
3. However, his actions do not seem to be pointing people towards the church. He knows very well how fickle some people can be, especially those who engage in hero worship. Thus, while he engages in what appears to be disobedience to the Church, he must know that such scandal will lead others into disobedience to the Church, whether or not that is his intended consequence.

Finally, I would not every want to be in his position, whether he is innocent or not. If he is guilty, then it would be awful to be drowning in such sin. If he is innocent, I would not want to experience the persecution and pain that he has experienced. That all being said, all of us are called to both sacrifice and obedience. If Fr. is innocent, Christ appears to be calling Fr. Corapi to sacrifice his ministry, at least temporarily and to submit to obedience to those in the Church to whom he should be obedient whether Fr. Corapi likes it or not. While I would not like to be in Fr.'s shoes, if he is innocent, he is being called to a sort of martyrdom which Fr. Corapi seems to be unwilling to accept. In all, he needs everyone's prayers and everyone's compassion. Each of us needs to remember to accuse ourselves as the first of sinners.

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #96 on: July 12, 2011, 07:08:31 AM »

For twenty years I tried to impart the Catholic and Christian Faith through preaching and teaching the Word of God as a Catholic priest. That era of my life is sadly ended, but rather than lie down and die, I have made a decision to continue doing what I can to inspire, teach, and give hope to the people living in a time in history much in need of it.

In keeping with this decision, the entire inventory of Fr. John Corapi material will be sold only up until 5:00 pm Eastern time, July 25th, 2011. After that, there will be no further chance to acquire the audio and video material that marked that era. Everything in the inventory will be marked down 50%.

At the end of the business day, July 25th, 2011, the doors to the website www.frjohn.com  will be closed. We are moving into a new era, the era of The Black Sheep Dog—which  you will be able to find at www.theblacksheepdog.us and on our Facebook page: The Black Sheep Dog. We hope that you will follow me to our new meeting place. All updates,  information on my book, “The Black Sheep Dog,” radio broadcasts, etc. will be at the new locations.

I am thankful for every one of you; for your kindness, your prayers, and your understanding. I hope that we can meet again in new places and together move on toward fulfilling our mission. God bless you, God love you, and goodbye for now.

John Corapi

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #97 on: July 12, 2011, 11:17:36 AM »

My diagnosis is that you had a very high opinion of him. Then, when it became difficult to reconcile your opinion with reality, concluding "demonic possession" was easier than lowering your opinion of him.

Your "diagnosis" is a figment of your feeble imagination. I did not have a "very high opinion of him" that was incapable of being lowered. I'm not a romantic; I just like the guy. He's no better or worse than any of us. And I am not a Roman Catholic, nor have I ever been one. I'm Orthodox.

You and others may disagree with me--and I could not care less. Personally, I am getting a bad feeling from him ('bad vibes' as they used to say). It would come as no surprise to me to discover that, at some point, he tries to harm himself. I can't give you any specific reason why. I have learned over the years to trust my instincts. I pray he will conquer this problem. Clearly, he is a very troubled man right now.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 11:18:53 AM by sainthieu » Logged
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #98 on: July 12, 2011, 11:38:11 AM »

Your "diagnosis" is a figment of your feeble imagination. I did not have a "very high opinion of him" that was incapable of being lowered. I'm not a romantic; I just like the guy. He's no better or worse than any of us. And I am not a Roman Catholic, nor have I ever been one. I'm Orthodox.

You and others may disagree with me--and I could not care less. Personally, I am getting a bad feeling from him ('bad vibes' as they used to say). It would come as no surprise to me to discover that, at some point, he tries to harm himself. I can't give you any specific reason why. I have learned over the years to trust my instincts. I pray he will conquer this problem. Clearly, he is a very troubled man right now.

Dearheart,

Don't be upset.  It is a strange set of circumstances all around.  I choose to reserve judgment as much as possible for the moment.  You are more willing to express yourself.  But surely I do understand how you feel about what you see and hear.  It's all right to express that...and I don't believe you are condemning with your words as much as you are telling us what it makes you feel like to encounter John Corapi now...

M.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #99 on: July 12, 2011, 11:51:31 AM »

For twenty years I tried to impart the Catholic and Christian Faith through preaching and teaching the Word of God as a Catholic priest. That era of my life is sadly ended, but rather than lie down and die, I have made a decision to continue doing what I can to inspire, teach, and give hope to the people living in a time in history much in need of it.

In keeping with this decision, the entire inventory of Fr. John Corapi material will be sold only up until 5:00 pm Eastern time, July 25th, 2011. After that, there will be no further chance to acquire the audio and video material that marked that era. Everything in the inventory will be marked down 50%.

At the end of the business day, July 25th, 2011, the doors to the website www.frjohn.com  will be closed. We are moving into a new era, the era of The Black Sheep Dog—which  you will be able to find at www.theblacksheepdog.us and on our Facebook page: The Black Sheep Dog. We hope that you will follow me to our new meeting place. All updates,  information on my book, “The Black Sheep Dog,” radio broadcasts, etc. will be at the new locations.

I am thankful for every one of you; for your kindness, your prayers, and your understanding. I hope that we can meet again in new places and together move on toward fulfilling our mission. God bless you, God love you, and goodbye for now.

John Corapi

I wonder if he will continue teaching about the Catholic faith at all.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #100 on: July 12, 2011, 12:51:46 PM »

Your "diagnosis" is a figment of your feeble imagination.

Does that fact that you disagree with it make it "a figment of [my] feeble imagination"?

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #101 on: July 12, 2011, 12:52:49 PM »

Well, I doubt he'll start teaching Mormonism.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #102 on: July 12, 2011, 01:15:07 PM »

John Corapi

I wonder the same thing.  IF he is guilty of any of the charges of sexual impropriety then it will be very difficult for him to continue to teach either Catholic doctrine or Catholic morality.  And I mean here that his words will not ring true even if we are not sure based on evidence of his guilt or innocence.

However if he truly is innocent then he could continue on with great credibility.

If he ducks...and heads out into the world as John Corapi, commentator...it will be boring as hell.   Smiley

As far as I am concerned, the only thing that made John Corapi a successful teacher was the Truth he taught...and not the man teaching it.

M.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 01:16:09 PM by elijahmaria » Logged

JR
Elder

Faith: No idea
Jurisdiction: Athens

« Reply #103 on: July 12, 2011, 01:22:44 PM »

As far as I am concerned, the only thing that made John Corapi a successful teacher was the Truth he taught...and not the man teaching it.

M.

Now this comment I really agree with.

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them".

Mother Teresa
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #104 on: July 12, 2011, 03:01:26 PM »

Watching that video is positively frightening. Where's the gentle, loving, gray-beared priest we loved? Some commenters at YouTube have noted--and rightly so--that he now looks almost exactly like Anton LaVey.
He has always looked liked Anton LaVey.
And he hasn't had a gray beard for some time now. And in the video (from 2010) he talks about having a license to carry a gun, and riding a Harley Fatboy (as well as receiving regular death threats).
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 03:05:03 PM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #105 on: July 12, 2011, 04:06:36 PM »

Really, I am just happy he is alive..Don't sweat the small stuff as they say.

I have known too many people who are now deceased. I cant call them or speak to them or hear how they are doing or as with a celeb like Corapi, read their book or get their CD..

I am just grateful he is alive and doing ...whatever...  He even has a web page and a newsletter.

Good enough for me.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 04:07:01 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #106 on: July 13, 2011, 06:16:19 PM »

The main charges are sexual impropriety, drug use, alcohol abuse, and violating his vow of poverty, but SOLT (Society of Our Lady of the Most Holy Trinity) is also continuing to cite his vow of obedience as well. SOLT claims he accumulated $1,000,000 in personal assets, and offered $100,000 to his accuser, and unspecified amounts to other witnesses, not to disclose facts about the case, and that he refused to waive this requirement upon request from SOLT.

Quote from: elijahmarie
IF he is guilty of any of the charges of sexual impropriety then it will be very difficult for him to continue to teach either Catholic doctrine or Catholic morality.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but violation of his vows of poverty and obedience seem just as troubling to SOLT, and from a certain point of view the guilt or lack thereof of John Corapi on the sexual charges seems a separate issue from whether in accordance with his vows he should follow the procedures of his church for adjudicating such cases. If he was under a vow of obedience, one might suppose he voluntarily subjected himself to all that entails, including juridical procedures, requests to allow witnesses to waive non-disclosure agreements with him, etc. These remarks should be taken with a grain of salt as I am admittedly an outsider and only partially informed as everyone else here also is.

Cf. the latest SOLT Press Release (July 5, 2011) here:  http://soltnews.blogspot.com/2011/07/press-release-concerning-fr-john-corapi.html

Quote from: SOLT Official Press Release
When the fact-finding team asked Fr. Corapi to dismiss the lawsuit, to forbear from foreclosing his mortgage, and to release her and other individuals from their contractual obligations to remain silent about him, he refused to do so and, through his canonical advocate, stated: "It is not possible for Father Corapi to answer the Commission's questions at this time."

SOLT's fact-finding team has acquired information from Fr. Corapi's e-mails, various witnesses, and public sources that, together, state that, during his years of public ministry:  He did have sexual relations and years of cohabitation (in California and Montana) with a woman known to him, when the relationship began, as a prostitute; He repeatedly abused alcohol and drugs; He has recently engaged in sexting activity with one or more women in Montana; He holds legal title to over $1 million in real estate, numerous luxury vehicles, motorcycles, an ATV, a boat dock, and several motor boats, which is a serious violation of his promise of poverty as a perpetually professed member of the Society. SOLT has contemporaneously with the issuance of this press release directed Fr. John Corapi, under obedience, to return home to the Society’s regional office and take up residence there. It has also ordered him, again under obedience, to dismiss the lawsuit he has filed against his accuser. SOLT's prior direction to Fr. John Corapi not to engage in any preaching or teaching, the celebration of the sacraments or other public ministry continues. Catholics should understand that SOLT does not consider Fr. John Corapi as fit for ministry.
Given some of the conflicting statements I've heard already I'm still not sure what to believe, but we can continue to hope and pray for the best for him, whether he is guilty or not.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 06:46:32 PM by xariskai » Logged

Silly Stars
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #107 on: July 13, 2011, 10:24:01 PM »

I never was that big into Fr. Corapi.  I first heard of him from My grandma (Who was a regular viewer of his show on EWTN).  I admit that he was a powerful preacher and had the study, booming voice to make a good show (A quality that was once common among clergy, but today is all to rare).  I never personally took too much interest in him and actually preferred the much more sedate Fr Benedict Groschell and his witty stories to Corapi's thundering apologetics. 

I don't feel that I'm in the position to make a fair and accurate judgment on this case.  However Corapi's religious order and his RC bishop have apparently passed judgment on him for me.  As an RC, I want to give the benefit of the doubt to this man (Especially since he flat out denies the allegations made against him).  However I also can't just throw away the directives of Corpai's superiors as nothing.  They obviously believe that he is guilty and have compiled enough evidence to back it up.  I can't believe (As Corpai asserts) That's its all just one, big conspiracy against him.  After all, he has been consistently preaching traditional Catholicism since his ordination and was never suspended by either his bishop or religious superiors.  So, if it is all a plot against Corpai, why did the powers that be wait so long to enact it?

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #108 on: July 13, 2011, 10:36:35 PM »

I never was that big into Fr. Corapi.  I first heard of him from My grandma (Who was a regular viewer of his show on EWTN).  I admit that he was a powerful preacher and had the study, booming voice to make a good show (A quality that was once common among clergy, but today is all to rare).  I never personally took too much interest in him and actually preferred the much more sedate Fr Benedict Groschell and his witty stories to Corapi's thundering apologetics. 

I don't feel that I'm in the position to make a fair and accurate judgment on this case.  However Corapi's religious order and his RC bishop have apparently passed judgment on him for me.  As an RC, I want to give the benefit of the doubt to this man (Especially since he flat out denies the allegations made against him).  However I also can't just throw away the directives of Corpai's superiors as nothing.  They obviously believe that he is guilty and have compiled enough evidence to back it up.  I can't believe (As Corpai asserts) That's its all just one, big conspiracy against him.  After all, he has been consistently preaching traditional Catholicism since his ordination and was never suspended by either his bishop or religious superiors.  So, if it is all a plot against Corpai, why did the powers that be wait so long to enact it?

I have three words for you: Joan. of. Arc.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Robb
OC.net guru

« Reply #109 on: July 13, 2011, 10:57:18 PM »

Well Joan of Arc may have eventually been exonerated, but until that time it was the duty of RC's to listen to the proper Church authorities and heed her excommunication.  I certainly do hope that Fr Corapi is eventually vindicated andcleared of these charges, but until that time what else can I do but, at least heed the warnings of his bishop and religious superiors?

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #110 on: July 13, 2011, 11:04:15 PM »

what else can I do but, at least heed the warnings of his bishop and religious superiors?
What warnings have been given? Has he been excommunicated?

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #111 on: July 13, 2011, 11:10:50 PM »

There is no comparison since Joan of Arc did not go around making videos on youtube saying that she was using cocaine.
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #112 on: July 13, 2011, 11:19:17 PM »

G. Savonorola

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #113 on: July 14, 2011, 05:58:06 AM »

Quote from: stanley123
There is no comparison since Joan of Arc did not go around making videos on youtube saying that she was using cocaine.

Are people not capable of repenting for their sins?  Huh Many saints had troubles in their lives at one point. St. Peter, St. Paul, St. Mary of Egypt, St. Moses... people can change.  Undecided We don't know what's gone on between Corapi and his confessor or his God in private.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 05:59:51 AM by biro » Logged

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #114 on: July 14, 2011, 03:51:30 PM »

Are people not capable of repenting for their sins?  Huh Many saints had troubles in their lives at one point. St. Peter, St. Paul, St. Mary of Egypt, St. Moses... people can change.  Undecided We don't know what's gone on between Corapi and his confessor or his God in private.
Obviously people can repent. I am not questioning that at all. I am questioning as to whether or not it is a valid comparison to compare a saintly person such as Joan of Arc with a man who goes on youtube and publicly says that he has been using cocaine and attending wild parties. I just think that any analogy or comparison breaks down at the very least at this point. Also it is known that Joan of Arc was a virgin.
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #115 on: July 14, 2011, 04:08:14 PM »

You missed my point, which was that Church authorities had her condemned as a witch and a heretic and burnt at the stake.  They, to use Robb's words "...obviously believe[d] that [she was] guilty and have compiled enough evidence to back it up."

They've been wrong before.  

Perhaps Mary's example was a better one, but Jeanne d'Arc was the first thing that popped into my head upon reading Robb's comment.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 04:08:59 PM by Schultz » Logged

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #116 on: July 14, 2011, 04:17:17 PM »

This is when I like to think folks are being ironic, but have learned through experience they are in fact not.

No, Joan of Arc said she saw youtube videos in her head which upset some people in authority who killed her for it. //:=|

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #117 on: July 14, 2011, 04:20:42 PM »

Obviously people can repent. I am not questioning that at all. I am questioning as to whether or not it is a valid comparison to compare a saintly person such as Joan of Arc with a man who goes on youtube and publicly says that he has been using cocaine and attending wild parties. I just think that any analogy or comparison breaks down at the very least at this point. Also it is known that Joan of Arc was a virgin.

Analogy doesn't a proof make as you point out, but is illustrative of a point to make something more acute for the those who find themselves being obtuse.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 04:21:05 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Robb
OC.net guru

« Reply #118 on: July 15, 2011, 12:44:42 AM »

I personally have nothing against Corapi and really do wish him well.  I hope that the allegations against him are eventually prov en false.  However as a Catholic I am bound to follow my Churches higher authorities (Or, at least take their statements and warnings into account) When they make declarations on a priest credibility and tell the faithful to avoid him due to scandalous behavior.  Who am I to question his religious order and its superior general in the judgment that they they have made against him {Corapi}?  I know nothing more about the case then the facts which have been presented to the public at large, both from Corapi and the Church which he previously served.  However ecclesiastical censure is not something which is either issued lightly or meant to be taken lightly.  I have a hard time belling (As Corapi asserts) That these charges are just part of some big conspiracy to silence him.  So, to play it on the safe side I'd rather just take the word of those in authority. 

After all many greats saints of the Church were, at one point in their lives silenced or slandered by those in ecclesiastical authority.  They all just meekly went along with the decision of their superiors until they were eventually vindicated.  They did not start slandering those who have the rule over them and denouncing their superiors and bishops as corrupter and frauds as Corapi seems to be doing.  Maybe he {Corapi} Should follow those saints of the past in his behavior rather then rebel against his Church.

-- Gustave Flaubert
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #119 on: July 15, 2011, 08:48:08 AM »

When they make declarations on a priest credibility and tell the faithful to avoid him due to scandalous behavior.
Perhaps I missed it, but I didn't see SOLT tell anyone to "avoid" Corapi.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #120 on: July 15, 2011, 09:16:12 AM »

When they make declarations on a priest credibility and tell the faithful to avoid him due to scandalous behavior.

A SOLT representative declared that he was not fit to either teach or preach.

That whole accusatory statement is fraught with such questionable circumstance and lack of corroboration so as to make it questionable in my mind.  He was not indicted with that statement, Corapi was, without ANY due process, publicly convicted and sentenced.  I still think the entire situation stinks.

I am still reserving judgment.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #121 on: July 15, 2011, 10:26:55 AM »

A SOLT representative declared that he was not fit to either teach or preach.

That whole accusatory statement is fraught with such questionable circumstance and lack of corroboration so as to make it questionable in my mind.  He was not indicted with that statement, Corapi was, without ANY due process, publicly convicted and sentenced.  I still think the entire situation stinks.

I am still reserving judgment.

Yes it does stink. What we normally expect in terms of due process is not present. He has not had the opportunity to confront his accusers face to face in front of a Judge or Tribunal or cross examine them or present his own evidence... They just tossed him.

John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #122 on: July 15, 2011, 10:44:18 AM »

Yes it does stink. What we normally expect in terms of due process is not present. He has not had the opportunity to confront his accusers face to face in front of a Judge or Tribunal or cross examine them or present his own evidence... They just tossed him.

Corapi seemed to have the same assumption, that somehow he had a right to such things. It seems to me that that is not the case.

"In the West, we think in terms of rights. Almost all of the ancient world worked without our concept of rights. People then, and some people now, believed in things we should or should not do—we should love others and we shouldn't steal, cheat, or murder—but then there was a queer shift to people thinking "I have an entitlement to this." "This is something the universe owes me." Now we tend to have a long list of things that we're entitled to (or we think God, or the universe, or someone "owes me"), and if someone violates our rights, boy do we get mad.

But in fact God owes none of the things we take for granted. Not even our lives. One woman with breast cancer responded to what the women's breast cancer support group was named ("Why me?"), and suggested there should be a Christian support group for women with breast cancer called "Why not me?""

http://jonathanscorner.com/no_rights/

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #123 on: July 15, 2011, 10:54:56 AM »

Corapi seemed to have the same assumption, that somehow he had a right to such things. It seems to me that that is not the case.

"In the West, we think in terms of rights. Almost all of the ancient world worked without our concept of rights. People then, and some people now, believed in things we should or should not do—we should love others and we shouldn't steal, cheat, or murder—but then there was a queer shift to people thinking "I have an entitlement to this." "This is something the universe owes me." Now we tend to have a long list of things that we're entitled to (or we think God, or the universe, or someone "owes me"), and if someone violates our rights, boy do we get mad.

But in fact God owes none of the things we take for granted. Not even our lives. One woman with breast cancer responded to what the women's breast cancer support group was named ("Why me?"), and suggested there should be a Christian support group for women with breast cancer called "Why not me?""

That's all nice and good, but within the Roman Catholic communion, there is a very plain set out procedure for dealing with such things.  The monkey in the machine, so to speak, is that it's up to the local ordinary to get things going.  He can, at his discretion, sit on the issue, kind of like the so-called "pocket veto."  From what I understand, the bishop is morally obligated to get started quickly but he's not canonically obligated.

That's the source of the stench in this case.

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #124 on: July 15, 2011, 10:57:34 AM »

Nevertheless, ducks, the Church to which priest Corapi belongs operates by a code of canons which do indicate that he has a right to due process.  The specific elements of due process are not quite the same as the civil code of law, nonetheless he was denied that which is prescribed canonically.

And the rest of your argument has little to do with a Creator and the order of the Created universe...which apparently are also run by laws, and law is integral to revelation.

so.....

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #125 on: July 15, 2011, 11:00:00 AM »

That's all nice and good, but within the Roman Catholic communion, there is a very plain set out procedure for dealing with such things.  The monkey in the machine, so to speak, is that it's up to the local ordinary to get things going.  He can, at his discretion, sit on the issue, kind of like the so-called "pocket veto."  From what I understand, the bishop is morally obligated to get started quickly but he's not canonically obligated.

Just a slight addition: IF the bishop simply imposes an administrative leave then the clock never starts on the process of charging the priest and convening a tribunal.  ONLY if the bishop canonically suspends a priest is he then canonically obligated to exercise due process.  Corapi was put on administrative leave.  Many innocent priests, as we speak, are fading or have faded into obscurity on "administrative leave."

The part that stinks then is the fact that SOLT convicted and sentenced Father Corapi with NO recourse of ANY kind to canonical due process.  The SOLT process circumvented ALL jurisdictional obligations and rights.

M.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 11:02:59 AM by elijahmaria » Logged

John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #126 on: July 15, 2011, 11:33:05 AM »

I am not denying that there is a set of procedure to be followed. My issue is not with that but rather, Corapi's response to that procedure allegedly not being followed.

To me the stench is not the procedural hangings-up--it is a priest who chose to throw a hissy fit when things didn't go the way he wished.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #127 on: August 26, 2011, 09:44:12 AM »

Corapi returns! Yet, he doesn't look back. He's starting a series on abortion, as well.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 09:49:06 AM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #128 on: August 26, 2011, 10:02:23 AM »

Corapi returns! Yet, he doesn't look back. He's starting a series on abortion, as well.

Wow. Could he try to be more embarrassing to himself?

« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 10:02:45 AM by orthonorm » Logged

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #129 on: August 26, 2011, 10:08:30 AM »

Is it wrong to think that he is being even more dramatic than I am on a daily basis? And it's pretty hard to top that.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #130 on: August 26, 2011, 10:17:27 AM »

Is it wrong to think that he is being even more dramatic than I am on a daily basis? And it's pretty hard to top that.

You ain't nearly the queen he is. And when are you dramatic?

JR
Elder

Faith: No idea
Jurisdiction: Athens

« Reply #131 on: August 26, 2011, 11:20:30 AM »

Just another way of making him more richer than he already is... he doesn't want to drop out of the lime light, he likes the attention... shame he is no longer preaching for the right reasons.

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them".

Mother Teresa
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #132 on: August 26, 2011, 11:36:48 AM »

And when are you dramatic?
When am I not?

"Drama queen" is a high school nickname. And only 50% of the people who used it were referring to my obsession with acting.  Cool

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #133 on: August 26, 2011, 11:45:26 AM »

I just think of him like he's a relative, an uncle or something like that. It's hard for me not to be on his side even when he acts like a loose cannon, (pardon the pun Smiley

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #134 on: September 14, 2011, 02:24:51 AM »

"Don't Look Back: The Entire Introduction", from The Black SheepDog's upcoming DVD titled, "Don't Look Back" scheduled to release September 20, 2011.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: